AKG K812 Pro
Feb 26, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,427 of 4,825
Objective measurements of a headphone just hint at how that headphone will actually sound to a particular listener. We shouldn’t confuse charts and graphs with a truly objective evaluation of audio equipment.

An objective evaluation involves listeners dispassionately hearing how the music sounds to them.

Especially if your ears have a history.

Every Audeze headphone I’ve heard has struck me as muffled and dark, inferior even to AKG 701s. The Sennheiser 800 HDs have never sounded sibilant or excessively bright to me. I found the Hifiman HE 5s to be only slightly inferior to the Beyerdynamic T1s.

But then, my ears have been over the road.

So I’m not particularly swayed by the objective measurements of the AKG K812. Sure, they’re a start, but I may very well be immune to the “confusion and harshness in the treble” Tyll writes of. You may be too.

So I think all of us whose ears are past their pristine state need to listen cooly, clearly, and calmly to how we hear the music.

But then this is obvious, I hope.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #1,428 of 4,825
  Objective measurements of a headphone just hint at how that headphone will actually sound to a particular listener. We shouldn’t confuse charts and graphs with a truly objective evaluation of audio equipment.

An objective evaluation involves listeners dispassionately hearing how the music sounds to them.

Every Audeze headphone I’ve heard has struck me as muffled and dark, inferior even to AKG 701s. The Sennheiser 800 HDs have never sounded sibilant or excessively bright to me. I found the Hifiman HE 5s to be only slightly inferior to the Beyerdynamic T1s.

So I’m not particularly swayed by the objective measurements of the AKG K812. Sure, they’re a start, but I may very well be immune to the “confusion and harshness in the treble” Tyll writes of. You may be too.

So I think all of us whose ears are past their pristine state need to listen cooly, clearly, and calmly to how we hear the music.

I found measurements and one person's listening experience not always accurate but they can give you an idea of the sound, some people do hear certain headphones differently, maybe partly due to head shape and ear canal shape as well as hearing loss and different systems. I didn't find the K812 to have some of the problems he mentioned, the vocals didn't sound off to me, I did notice an occasional sharpness though but I get that from almost every dynamic headphone, but they never sounded confused or lacking in treble detail or refinement, it had good treble for a dynamic headphone to my ears. I have sensitive ears, I even find dark headphones with quite smooth treble fatiguing at times.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,429 of 4,825

He did listen to them. It wasn't only measurements.

Otherwise, I agree with you (though I think you mean a subjective evaluation). Measurements can tell us only so much. Informed reviews can tell us only so much. I wouldn't judge a pair of headphones without listening to it myself.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,430 of 4,825

Evaluating by how the music sounds to them is a subjective evaluation since differing person looks for different things. A measurement, is an objective evaluation since its basically a concrete data IMO.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #1,432 of 4,825

The 'sound quality' section of Tyll's reviews always have two parts; his by-ear impressions, and measurement plots / analyses (where he draws any parallels or discrepancies between his listening notes and what's present on the plots).

Basically your argument is null with regards to the supposed lack of comprehensiveness.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #1,433 of 4,825
The 'sound quality' section of Tyll's reviews always have two parts; his by-ear impressions, and measurement plots / analyses (where he draws any parallels or discrepancies between his listening notes and what's present on the plots).

Basically your argument is null with regards to the supposed lack of comprehensiveness.

Agreed. One thing you can never really criticize with Tyll's reviews and impressions is the expansive and sweeping scope. They are always quite thorough.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #1,434 of 4,825
Having reviewed the K 812 myself, I must admit I agree with Tyll on most points, even though my conclusion is another.

Nevertheless I rank the K 812 at least as on par with the HD 800. The thing even Tyll called PRAT is great with that ALG can. But it still stays true that there is no single can to rule them all.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #1,435 of 4,825
To understand a review, it helps to be familiar also with the reviewer's sound preferences. In his case, the warm side of neutral and maybe rolled off treble.

Quote:
But it still stays true that there is no single can to rule them all.

I'm 90% sure there never will be, because want to hear different things. (And also because they listen to different genres).

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,436 of 4,825
I would say the review doesn't make me any less interested in wanting to hear the K812 as I want my own ears to do the judging, but I am now far less interested in owning them. If, for all intents and purposes, the treble is broken, then it's kind of just unforgivable at that price point.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #1,437 of 4,825

I can say to EVERBODY about the K812 that is an interesting Good sounding headphone!

SO TRUST YOUR EAR'S and not the Measurements!

REGARDS NOMAX

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,438 of 4,825
but Tyll listened to the k812s....not just measurements. Did anyone even bothered reading the review?

that being said, I have the k812 on order so I can't judge for myself yet.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #1,439 of 4,825
Always love Tyll's reviews and i praise him for his honest opinions. While i hold his methods and opinions in very high regard, i wonder though if something is amiss. As i said earlier, surely akg have all sorts of scopes and other mesaurement rigs. Impulse response is just something that could not have gone unmeasured/unchecked, surely?

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #1,440 of 4,825
As i said earlier, surely akg have all sorts of scopes and other mesaurement rigs. Impulse response is just something that could not have gone unmeasured/unchecked, surely?

When V-Moda worked on M100, they preferred the sound they went with to others that measured better. Maybe AKG did too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back