AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Oct 4, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #226 of 296
Yes, the K812 definitely was not Tylls darling — no wonder given his preference for a warmer sound signature. I always liked them for their space, resolution and energy, but they could have used a bit more bass for my taste.

While the HD800S was ok for me, I always found the K812 to be more engaging. And easier to drive as well.
Sadly his review hurt the K812 some, but his tastes differ and I understand where he came from. Sadly there hasnt been anyone to fill in his shoes. Honestly to this day I wish I got the K812 at one point. I loved it the times I auditioned the headphone. I remember not being super fond of the HD 800 or the HD 800S the times I auditioned them. I did enjoy the HD 800S more than the HD 800 though. But I preferred the K812 and the T1’s to the Senns.

The new Composer does have my interest and I hope I’ll be able to audition it. Out of my current price range though.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #228 of 296
Years ago I checked out the T1 but I've yet to hear the legendary DT1990.
Which T1? Gen 1 or Gen 2? All three gens sound very different from each other and are all quite different headphones. The DT 1990 is a great headphone, one of the best values in the $500 range imho. Definitely like it a lot more than I did the NDH-30(was let down by it overall). The warmer sounding Amiron Home is also worth a listen to.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #232 of 296
The HD700 which I also liked sadly met a similar fate......
Oddly consumer reviews are 10 to 1 in favour.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...ll_reviews&filterByStar=positive&pageNumber=1
I remember enjoying the HD 700 when I listened to it but never gave it an extended session.

It's been awhile, so probably Gen 1.
Still Beyerdynamic are up there with AKG and Sennheiser with regards to a long history in R&D and way precede Sennheiser in regards to headphones.
Yeah Gen 1 has attached wires so easy to tell it apart. It was a bit too bright for my liking but still liked it overall. Late Gen 2s are quite warm sounding (around Amiron Home warm) and the Gen 3 is warmer than any of the HD 6xx series.

Beyerdynamic probably has the longest R&D history of any headphone company. I do feel AKG’s and Beyer’s contribution to headphones is understated compared to Sennheiser. I have a DT 480 which uses a variation of the DT 48 driver which is the first dynamic headphone ever made. The driver is still flagship level to this day and with some tweaks easily holds its own with $1000+ headphones imho.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #233 of 296
Beyerdynamic probably has the longest R&D history of any headphone company. I do feel AKG’s and Beyer’s contribution to headphones is understated compared to Sennheiser.
I'm definitely old school but open to new technologies, still I'm rather sceptical of some of the newer upstarts like ZMF, etc where they have ideas for drivers but not the facilities to do the actual on hands research and development, nice wood though, if you're into that.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #234 of 296
Sadly his review hurt the K812 some, but his tastes differ and I understand where he came from. Sadly there hasnt been anyone to fill in his shoes. Honestly to this day I wish I got the K812 at one point. I loved it the times I auditioned the headphone. I remember not being super fond of the HD 800 or the HD 800S the times I auditioned them. I did enjoy the HD 800S more than the HD 800 though. But I preferred the K812 and the T1’s to the Senns.

The new Composer does have my interest and I hope I’ll be able to audition it. Out of my current price range though.
Same for me, T1.1 >= K812 > HD800S >HD800
And yes, Tyll was one of a kind. Which is unfortunate and actually a bad sign for the state of review(er)s nowadays.
I'm definitely old school but open to new technologies, still I'm rather sceptical of some of the newer upstarts like ZMF, etc where they have ideas for drivers but not the facilities to do the actual on hands research and development, nice wood though, if you're into that.
I really don't get the buzz around ZMF. Zach may be a nice guy, but the headphones are... not to my taste. I normally like wood, but here its overdone for my taste. Build details are not up to the asking price I think. I also prefer a different tuning, but that's a matter of taste. I value enthusiasm, but not high end prices for that level of manufacturing.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #235 of 296
Is the K812 still made in Austria?

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #236 of 296
Is the K812 still made in Austria?
No, no AKG manufacturing in Austria anymore. For some years already... They first moved manufacturing out of Vienna, then wanted to move development as well. That was when the whole gang quit and most went on to work for Austrian Audio.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #237 of 296
No, no AKG manufacturing in Austria anymore. For some years already... They first moved manufacturing out of Vienna, then wanted to move development as well. That was when the whole gang quit and most went on to work for Austrian Audio.
Disappointing. I knew some units were moved to China, I didn't realize the situation was so bad. Well, good news about Austrian Audio :)

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #238 of 296
Disappointing. I knew some units were moved to China, I didn't realize the situation was so bad. Well, good news about Austrian Audio :)
I think most Pro products are now manufactured in Czechia or Slovakia, consumer models might have been moved to China.
The later K812 units were just fine, this is more nostalgia about headphones being made in Vienna on my side :wink: But yes, Austrian Audio did pick up that tradition and do build here.

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #239 of 296
If I had to guess, only the first maybe 2-2.5 years of 812 production would have happened in Austria then moved elsewhere? It would be fun to compare serial numbers to develop that timeline I guess.

Mine are SN #010042 Made in Austria

Users who are viewing this thread

Back