AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Sep 17, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #196 of 296
K812 was a grateful headphone at it's time!
I got mine at the release time. I have two sets of pads, one originally, the second monted with the mesh grid from K872.
The edges of the pads towards the ear have now become hard and press uncomfortably against the skin.
A set of new pads for the K812 is not exactly cheap.

At the moment, I prefer to listen with DT1990, which is more pleasant in the bass and mid-range than the analytical K812.
I can deal with the ~1kHz higher Beyer Peak - compared to K812.

Sep 17, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #197 of 296
Yea, I, too, wonder sometimes why the K812 didn’t it get more attention. Ok, parts of the treble are a bit hot at times, yet it much more engaging and musical to me than, say, the HD800. And much less dependent on the amp.
Perhaps the audio community didn't like Harman's purchase of the company. The move to Slovakia etc? That 'hot' (at times) treble surely wasn't fundamentally different from some of the frequency issues with the HD800? I confess - I have never heard the original HD800 - so don't know from my own experience how that treble is.

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #198 of 296
For those who haven't caught it, there is a new kid coming to the block from Austrian Audio (aka the previous AKG development team).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-composer-open-back-flagship-by-austrian-audio.969871/
3484D754-5C5A-4740-98EA-CA153DBA3D4B.jpeg

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #199 of 296
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #202 of 296
Absolutely. And often even without merit in my opinion.
I feel headphones and audio equipment has been overpriced for a long time. This is why I very often choose secondhand stuff - most of the time it has been very well taken care of. I don't have a single pair of brand-new headphones. The most I paid was 1.3K euro for a pair of HE1000v2 - this was nearly 2 years ago. Today you can get this quality of headphone for the same price but new. On the other hand, I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 - from the 1980s - from the original owner - and I paid 80 euro. These headphones are amazing. There are many options for us - and that's good.

I paid 440 euro for my AKG812 - which I consider a really good price. I would be willing to pay 800 euro for them.

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #203 of 296
I feel headphones and audio equipment has been overpriced for a long time. This is why I very often choose secondhand stuff - most of the time it has been very well taken care of. I don't have a single pair of brand-new headphones. The most I paid was 1.3K euro for a pair of HE1000v2 - this was nearly 2 years ago. Today you can get this quality of headphone for the same price but new. On the other hand, I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 - from the 1980s - from the original owner - and I paid 80 euro. These headphones are amazing. There are many options for us - and that's good.

I paid 440 euro for my AKG812 - which I consider a really good price. I would be willing to pay 800 euro for them.
A good way to handle this problem for sure.
I seldom buy used, but introduced an upper limit for my purchases some years ago -- and mostly respect it :wink: I also don't buy from companies that introduce new models too often (Hifiman being on my blacklist as you can imagine :wink:

Yes, I think the used market is valuable, both in generating less waste and in offering good value for your money.

Sep 28, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #204 of 296
I feel headphones and audio equipment has been overpriced for a long time.
Sadly yes, the higher end phones become a fashion, lifestyle or even a status symbol. lol

Yes, I think the used market is valuable, both in generating less waste and in offering good value for your money.
What is interesting about the used market it is that it probably indicates more of what a product is actually worth or close to it.

Now having said that the K812 are indeed IMHO a technically designed tour de force from the ground up. :sunglasses:

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #206 of 296
The edges of the pads towards the ear have now become hard and press uncomfortably against the skin.
A set of new pads for the K812 is not exactly cheap.
Hi FritzS... seeing you this brought up on the Composer thread thought I should also share it here.
No pads are exempt from wear and tear, my HD800S pads (even the cables) literally disintegrate over time from the interaction from body oils.
To prolong the life of the K812/872 pads it is necessary to clean them with once in awhile and treat them with a vinyl conditioner other wise they will eventually dry and crack, Armour All for example.
https://www.amazon.ca/Armor-All-Original-Protectant-Spray/dp/B00G9YG7SU

I use...Sonax, pads remain soft and supple, great for rubber speaker surrounds also.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sonax-03401000-Rubber-Protectant-GummiPfleger/dp/B01GS3EIIC
"Sonax Rubber Protectant (GummiPfleger) protects rubber, plastic and vinyl surfaces from UV damage - Low sheen application leaves no oily or slick residue"
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 5.01.08 PM.png

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #207 of 296
On the other hand, I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 - from the 1980s - from the original owner - and I paid 80 euro
During the last Amazon Prime Day sales, I managed to pick up a brand new DT880/600 for CAD$130 - incredible deal at that price, and yeah it makes me seriously wonder if headphones costing a few grand are really 20 times better ⁉️

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #209 of 296
During the last Amazon Prime Day sales, I managed to pick up a brand new DT880/600 for CAD$130 - incredible deal at that price, and yeah it makes me seriously wonder if headphones costing a few grand are really 20 times better ⁉️
Excellent deal. I have the new(er) DT880 - 250 ohms - I’ve had them several years and won’t be going anywhere fast. I paid 80 euro for these too - added some ZMF Beyerdynamic pads - for 60 euro - mad, but worth it. Some find the DTT 880 too bright. I don’t.

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #210 of 296
this thread made me wanna buy one and compare them to my 109 pro. **** my wallet :frowning2:
I resist comparisons - and try to avoid ‘raining on other people’s parades’ - but I must say from my experience there is no contest - the AKG812 are in another league of sonic refinement - detail retrieval is better (and the Meze are good). the upper end on the 812 is more extended and again - more refined. I found the 109 pro too bright - and I like energetic treble. The 812 are more balanced and integrated - across the frequencies spectrum. I tried to make friends with the Meze - had them for a couple of months from a friend. But they are popular - and I know I’m in a minority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back