AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Feb 4, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #181 of 296
3d holographic soundstage still unrivaled at any price.

Literally perfect below 1k.
Really great but a little too polite for me from 1k-3.6k

From 4k up it’s not perfect for studio reference work, with its peaks/valleys (although very “musical” and “harmonic” with the harmonic peaks/valleys as Tyll correctly pointed out), this is the one area the Sennheiser HD800 series is superior to the K812 in.

But to this day, no headphone is truly perfect for reference work yet.

As far as the engineering/build/pads …. IMHO the K812 Pro made in Austria pair I have are by far the most superior ever … and I’ve tried many open backs twice, and even three times the price. None have a more thoughtful and functionally incredible form/build.

Definitely underrated by many who jump straight from mid-if to ultra-fi, assuming the 3k-5k headphones simply MUST be superior to stuff in the $1k-1.6k range. Not so.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #182 of 296

From 4k up it’s not perfect for studio reference work, with its peaks/valleys (although very “musical” and “harmonic” with the harmonic peaks/valleys as Tyll correctly pointed out), this is the one area the Sennheiser HD800 series is superior to the K812 in.

As far as the engineering/build/pads …. IMHO the K812 Pro made in Austria pair I have are by far the most superior ever … and I’ve tried many open backs twice, and even three times the price. None have a more thoughtful and functionally incredible form/build.

Definitely underrated by many who jump straight from mid-if to ultra-fi, assuming the 3k-5k headphones simply MUST be superior to stuff in the $1k-1.6k range. Not so.

I tend to agree for the most part but have to take exception to the build quality aspect. While it is generally well done, the flexible printed wire assembly which carries signal from one cup to the other (through the headband) is incredibly fragile. Ask me how I know.

Seen 3 different pair have issues with sound cutting out in the one channel thanks to damage incurred by simple things like movement or cleaning with a Q-tip. And AKG doesn't really sell replacement parts for that particular issue, so I had to get mine custom modded with a very thin silver wire instead.

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #183 of 296
I tend to agree for the most part but have to take exception to the build quality aspect. While it is generally well done, the flexible printed wire assembly which carries signal from one cup to the other (through the headband) is incredibly fragile. Ask me how I know.

Seen 3 different pair have issues with sound cutting out in the one channel thanks to damage incurred by simple things like movement or cleaning with a Q-tip. And AKG doesn't really sell replacement parts for that particular issue, so I had to get mine custom modded with a very thin silver wire instead.
Did you ever pull the cups far apart to adjust them/break them in ?

I was always very gentle with mine and kept them on the stand for years.

I never once let the thin ribbon cables in the cup mount / gimbal get smashed or pinched when putting them on or off. After 8 years even the cups still look new and haven’t caved in or peeled at all. And I suspect maybe since I don’t let others use them and pull the cups very far apart while putting them on, the internal cabling AFAIK is still in like new shape.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #184 of 296
No, I speculate what did it was a quick wipe down of all nooks and crannies with a Q-tip. That's my standard practice when I leave a headphone out and use it a lot and it accumulates dust - which really shows in product photography for reviews. Never had a single problem with any other headphone, and it's not like I get aggressive with them or anything.

My K812 looked mint and I never bent them or anything weird, so I can't imagine how else it would have happened. Apart from the mods they still feel like a fresh pair, nice clamp and everything.

That said, they are great headphones. I should use them more often.

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #185 of 296

I have to agree that k812 is not perfect for studio work (so I sold them together with k872), but for listening these headphones are excellent. It seems to me that k612 is closest to perfection for sound work, so it's K612 Pro that is underrated. Expanding your point, $1000 headphones are not always better than $150 (under certain circumstances :)

Mar 18, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #186 of 296
Still loving the K812s - AKG certainly knew what they were doing with these soundwise as well as the beautiful way they were built.. Possibly my favourite headphones ever!
Hello John. I think you're right - I keep coming back to it. Surely the most underrated headphone ever produced? James

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #187 of 296
The standard cable is OK as well - noise free and capable. I wonder how much change in sound is due to the screw on 1/4" adaptor on the standard cables? Arctic Cables omits that, so 1 interface less.
Another cable option worth considering I think comes from UK, Design-a-cable. They produce solid pro cables which I've found to be excellent in the past, at a very reasonable price. The K812 replacement uses Belden 1804A mini star-quad cable terminated with the Lemo connection and the Neutrik NP3X silver phono. I've never replaced a stock headphone cable previously (except with another stock cable), being more sceptical about this than interconnects. But I've also been conscious - as John points out - of the phono adaptor interface - could never quite feel good about it. Well, I picked one up and, after some listening, I'm prepared to say I think the new cable's probably a bit better! I'm genuinely surprised to find I seem to hear a difference! It's not night and day - but I'm inclined to think I get a hint of additional transient detail, which gives things just a touch more life. It's equally non-microphonic, so no worry there. If you need/want another cable, definitely worth a look I think.

Edit: I'm afraid my hopes for improvement were dashed (see below).

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #189 of 296
In view of my aforementioned scepticism re headphone cable replacement, I thought it would be interesting to come back to this with some help - try to test my confidence about my earlier hope of an improvement with the new cable. Well, after some assistance with a 'sort of' blind test, I'm not confident I can pick a difference ... So, at best, I can say with confidence only that, in my view, the designacable replacement is at least as good. But that's still very good I think. I've never had concerns in use with the stock cable. And, I must say, after reflecting on my earlier concerns about the phono plug interface, I can't any longer see why it should be worse than the interface on phones with a split detachable cable connecting to both ear-cups. In fact, ironically, the AKG might be better than many in connecting to only one! Indeed, my Beyerdynamic T1 (Gen 1) might be the gold standard, with a captive cable!! In any event, I can still recommend the designacable replacement as very nicely made and non-microphonic if you're in need of a replacement.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #190 of 296
Has anyone heard K812 and Meze 109 Pro? I am deciding between the two.
I'm working my way through this great thread.

Have you already made a decision?

I borrowed a friend's pair of 109 Pro - I was curious - all the buzz and hype and a basically 10 out of 10 audiophile recommendation.
Personally, I found them overly bright. And also 'artificial'. After talking to my friend - he pointed out that they are excellent with EDM / electronic music. I checked this out (because I like a lot of electronic music) - and yes - they did perform better with that genre - but no better than any of my Grado (R2Se / Hemp / SR325) and also my HD600 / HD650 do just as well with that genre. Except for the (in my opinion) boosted bass of the 109 Pro. I would never buy them and a secondhand pair of AKG812 for 500 euro is easily a much wiser decision.

I am a big fan of the AKG 812 and 872.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #192 of 296
No waiting on my side - It was a shaky start with the 712 - which turned into a real WOW experience - this is coming from someone who loves their HD650 (and HD600) - the 812 were remarkable enough to inspire me to get the 872 - which didn’t let me down - to say the least.

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #193 of 296
Re-reading this thread, I was struck again by the general lack of interest in the K812 - which I think is incredible. It really must be the most under-rated model of all time. To outline my preferences, I listen to classical music, prefer a diffuse-field tuning and don't care for planar or electrostatic phones (I've owned the Elite, SR-009S and Susvara). Of current phones I've said elsewhere I think the HD800S is the best out there, with the ADX5000 and MySphere very appealing too. But, if I include non-current models, then I believe the K812 is the best I've encountered at any price. The combination of natural timbre and imaging are simply marvelous. As I've said, I can't understand why it hasn't garnered a wider following. If you're interested in classical music and like any of the phones I've mentioned, I can't recommend strongly enough that you audition the K812. It isn't a current model but is still available new quite widely.

EDIT
When I say 'best', I mean personally most convincing - in apparently putting me in the audience at a recital or concert, at a venue with a flattering acoustic.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #194 of 296
I’m a big fan of the AKG812 too.

It certainly doesn’t get the exposure the HD800 commands - but there are many reasons for that. The good thing is that this ‘low on the radar’ status hels keeps the price down 😊

To say I love my HD650 and HD600 is putting it mildly. We go back a few years and I have never stopped enjoying what each of them do for my music listening pleasure – each in a different way – almost the same but enough difference to make it impossible for me to get rid of either. On a score level, I would say my connection with the HD650 is slightly stronger than with the HD600 – but even as I write that statement I find myself back-peddling and feeling more like a case of a dead draw.

The HD650 has a magical velvet sonic ingredient I haven’t found in that form anywhere. The HD600 just does crazy good stuff with the upper end and upper mids. Both have been eminently scalable.

As I developed by fondness and enjoyment with them both I naturally came across the HD800 and HD800S. I didn’t hear these two ‘flagships’ of the Sennheiser tribe – but read plenty and one day someone on The Headphone Experience dismissed the HD650 and HD600 and said I should simply get the HD800S. At the time it annoyed me because he was flippantly talking about spending between 800 1K euro on them. I paid 120 for my HD600 and 160 euro for my HD650. Add some more for different cables (that came a few years after the original purchase) and a bit more for some ZMF Sennheiser pads. And I felt great with the dynamic duo of HD650 and HD600.

Then around 2 years ago someone I respected (her eon The Headphone Experience) talked about the AKG812 being their favourite headphones. The discussion at that time had focused (again) on the HD650 and how someone had opted for the AKG712 – as alternatives – bringing in a wider soundstage and side-stepping the silly thing regarding an apparent Sennheiser ‘veil’.

The mention of the AKG812 pricked my curiosity. I wasn’t prepared to spend upwards of 800 euro but decided to check out secondhand options on eBay. Not much later I nabbed a pair for 440 euro. Great. Until they arrived in a cloth Sony bag and a bit of nervousness ensued – would these things even work. They did and that first experience was exceptional.

A terrific soundstage – expansive in all directions. And an ethereal quality that I was not familiar with. Extreme detail retrieval and a base sound signature that was neutral and analytical but in no way sterile dry or distant. As for bass – no problem – no problem at all. Not only in quantity but more importantly in quality. These were the real deal – the complete package.

These days I have a non-stock cable (the original is good but I have a bit of a thing for getting cables – in this case, an XLR termination and some other details). But for around a year my experience of the AKG812 were made with the stock cable and there wasn’t a music-listening session that was anything less than highly pleasurable. And it didn’t depend on the type of music.

We make a journey with our headphones – this involves different headphone amps and DACS.

Today I am enjoying a slight departure from my regular setup – I wanted to take the music into my Violectric V550 with the mojo2 this time. I fed that excellent DAC with Quobuz streamed music via Roon and a simple USB into mojo2 route.

For a good while I heard about the magical mojo and mojo2 – I was a happy user of the iFi Gryphon – and truly like the iFi sound. So I was a bit resistant to the mojo2 endless fan noise. Then I relented and a year later I am glad I did.

The mojo2 has something quite beautiful going on. There is a special weight to the notes, a musicality, a substance, and body to the music that is distinctly mojoesque. I don’t mess around much with the special DSP / EQ function – but when I do I am impressed.

And the synergy with the V550 is great – especially when paired with these AKG812 – their airiness and ethereal qualities are given a degree of down-to-earthiness – that weightiness of notes and substance enters the flavour and it sounds fantastic.

This is all a lot of blah blah talk about sonic qualities but as I write it I am listening to Sophie Zelmani – I finished listening to her debut album (of the same name as her name) and now it’s ‘Time to Kill’. It’s a terrific album and she is a superb singer-songwriter (from Sweden). The final piece on this album is called ‘Fire’ and it’s a great showcase for the myriad of qualities the AKG 812 have.

The opening keyboard notes have a beauty of attack and decay, there’s something mysterious and deep about the micro details (hi-hat strike, the sound – almost – of the microphone itself, the timbre throughout these opening seconds – guitar strings that are distinct and the texture, layering and imaging – a tinkle here, a piano line there – every ingredient and musical element weaving its way into the song and HER voice close to the mic and the bass guitar or is it a bass? Deep and resonant and HER voice getting closer to us and the mic – it’s a delicate wonderful balanced and integrated tapestry of sonic skill.

These headphones are exceptional. The song picks up tempo and drive and the AKG812 move effortlessly into this new tempo and show off their speed and punch and dynamic agility. They DO complexity, they DO musicality, they DO timbre and intimacy. These are certainly analytical headphones but they sure as hell are great for just losing oneself in the music. I personally really rate their upper end and the way they present brightness and sparkle.

The opening song of the album is called ‘My’ and this is staggeringly intimate – her lips almost kissing the mic and the AKG812 are often described (in contrast to the HD800S) as being very close, very upfront – and this piece illustrates these qualities well. There is warmth too and this is definitely being nuanced and fed by the Violectric V550 and the mojo 2. The guitar work in this piece is very treble energy-centric – and it's gorgeously bright and light and airy.

There’s a fabulous album released this year from the British group ‘Ezra Collective’ an eclectic mixture of music and references but essentially Jazz – and the opener here is wonderful on these AKG812 – ‘Life Goes On’ – horns and vocals, percussion that taps the deeper corners of bass – not sub-bass but certainly deep resonant bass – and it finds a warm punchy home in these AKG812 – joined by a soaring smooth horn that glides upwards with ease and delicacy and harshness and sibilance are in full exile here. I’d forgotten about this album and haven’t heard it on this set-up / on these AKG812 – now I know this is a priority.

But now it’s enough already and bed beckons but I have to get a taste of some Chamber music – so pop over to The Chiaroscuro Quartet and their take on Shubert’s String Quartet in D-Minor. I have loved ‘Death and the Maiden’ for decades and this time it’s as great and thrilling as ever – they use historical instruments and bows – and gut string. The fact is that the AKG812 are exceedingly good for Chamber music – all the lineup of sonic wishes: timbre, soundstage, imaging, the full gamut of the tonal spectrum presented with finesse and clarity – it's all happening with the AKG812 and these Schubert string quartet is the perfect showcase.

These are one of my best buys – for 440 euro I have a pair of amazing dynamic driver headphones. The stock cable is great and this 110-euro cable is even better.

The thing is - if someone likes the AKG thing - the natural development will be to get some AKG812. And for 500 euro this is usually possible - with some patience.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #195 of 296
Yea, I, too, wonder sometimes why the K812 didn’t it get more attention. Ok, parts of the treble are a bit hot at times, yet it much more engaging and musical to me than, say, the HD800. And much less dependent on the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back