AKG k702 or Sennheiser HD650
Nov 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #16 of 97
HD650 = not veil. Excellent for Classical
speaking of neutrality = DT880

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with the opinions that the HD650s are "veiled", at least when referring to the newer version (be aware that there are supposedly two different versions of the HD650). I bought a pair about 1.5 months ago, and I'm finding that they are not quite stacking up to the countless reviews that I've read about them. Yes, the midrange can sound smooth, but the highs are awful. Anything with heavy cymbals will sound peaky and "abrasive". Certain synthesizers take on a sharp sound as well....for example "Welcome to the Machine" by Pink Floyd - the synthesizer line near the end sounds overly articulate and is particularly harsh on the ears. I would describe the overall sound as sharp and metallic; if that is the type of sound you enjoy, then I definitely recommend the HD650s. If you want something smoother, I suggest you look elsewhere. I haven't heard the K701/2, so I can't comment on those.

jsplice, if you find the 650 harsh I'd like to know what you find not harsh. This is not a dig at you....I actually want to know what would sound less harsh than a 650, as I have one and am open to suggestions. I find the 650 replicates better than any phone I've heard the sound of a symphony orchestra at about middle distance in a typical concert hall--but that's not to say it's perfect, and I'm not entirely in disagreement with your remarks about harsh highs (though I'm not sure about "metallic". Maybe you were listening to Metallica at the time). Trouble is the other phones I've tried--Beyer DT880pro, AT AD700/900, AKG 702 etc--all have much harsher highs, to the point of unlistenability. They may be OK for some types of music, but not classical. The 650 for me represents the current best compromise.

Oh, I should have added that there's more than a slight possibility that your phones are not yet burnt in. The 650s take a hell of a long time, and can still seem to be mellowing even after a year or two.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 = not veil.

Um, this is highly dependent on the amp and source. I've tried both the HD600 and HD650 using the same setup and funnily enough, while the HD650 suffered from the 'Sennheiser veil', the HD600 didn't at all.
Both were used from a Rotel CD player + a Lehmann amp, which is often associated with Sennheiser products.
Also as with others, I much prefer the HD600 > HD650 + it's cheaper.

That said, I much prefer any version of the DT880 > HD600.
The DT880 600 ohm being the best of them:

Classically trained musician / audiophile opinion of the DT880/600's on classical:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ps1000-454208/

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #19 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually want to know what would sound less harsh than a 650, as I have one and am open to suggestions.

HD600 (much more balanced sound), DT880/600 ohm.

Quote:

Trouble is the other phones I've tried--Beyer DT880pro, AT AD700/900, AKG 702 etc--all have much harsher highs, to the point of unlistenability.

DT880 600 ohm addresses this issue with the other DT880's.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

I might sound fanboish, but I am for a reason compared to the others suggested.
The DT880's also offer the most detail out of all of them = essential for accurate music listening tbh imo.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #20 of 97
So now what can is a good neutral one then? I'm still looking. lol

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #21 of 97
I own the K702's now and had the HD650's just before these and I personally prefer the K702's for all genres of music over the HD650's. Many say the soundstage is too wide and the bass is lacking for rock music. I personally think that you hear exactly what is on the recording the way it was meant to be heard. The soundstage on the K702's I find isn't too wide for any music, I think compared to my speaker setup the placement and imaging of the K702's is very good actually and so close to my speakers that I guess it is why I really like the K702's.

Just my opinion.

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #22 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So now what can is a good neutral one then? I'm still looking. lol

The k701 are very neutral. Before people jump all over me for saying this, please give examples of more neutral headphones that we have headroom frequency response graphs for.

If I only listened to classical my hd650s would be gone in a second. However, I do like them for other genres as well as watching movies.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #23 of 97
Perfect. I was thinking of getting a pair of K701's anyways. If both cans are controversial, get both. That's my motto.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #24 of 97
Got some triports? Pretty controversial
wink.gif

I'm still not sure of what to get next. DT880 v HD650 v K601 v AD900.

How about a cage fight to the death, winner becomes my next purchase. Any guess who would win? I think the AD900 would go down with one punch. The 880s look like the biggest of the bunch. Probably could snap the senns and akgs in two.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #25 of 97
Not with their powers combined!

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #26 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 (much more balanced sound)

I've owned the hd600, as well as the 580. Didn't care for either of them--harsh upper midrange/lower treble. Much preferred 555/595 range for classical. The latter I believe are the (largely) unsung heroes of the Sennheiser range.

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #27 of 97
Quote:

I've owned the hd600, as well as the 580. Didn't care for either of them--harsh upper midrange/lower treble. Much preferred 555/595 range for classical. The latter I believe are the (largely) unsung heroes of the Sennheiser range.

Have you tried the HD650's for classical? It was an obvious winner over the 555's for me that is.

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #28 of 97
I have the 650. It is very good on classical, though I could do with a bit more treble "air". However, I don't consider it "an obvious winner", at least over the 595. The difference has never seemed as obvious to me as to some here on Head-Fi, and I wasn't at all surprised to note recently how similar the Headroom FR graphs are between the two phones (above 1khz they're almost identical). Both are fine phones, and while the 650 is the more refined, more solid, the 595 is better value (while the 555 with 595 mod is the best value of all).

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #29 of 97
Don't really get into value because one can easily argue that the best value headphones are the free ibuds you get with your iPhone/iPod/whatever.
tongue.gif

I think that focusing on a company's 'high end' is quite foolish. You should look at the low, mid and high range, like you have. The AD700 is popular for a reason, as are the MS-1s. Should also look at different brands because they all have different sonic signatures etc. Being interested in headphones doesn't mean you must shop at the maximum level your budget allows. We aren't snobs
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #30 of 97
Quote:

I have the 650. It is very good on classical, though I could do with a bit more treble "air". However, I don't consider it "an obvious winner", at least over the 595. The difference has never seemed as obvious to me as to some here on Head-Fi, and I wasn't at all surprised to note recently how similar the Headroom FR graphs are between the two phones (above 1khz they're almost identical). Both are fine phones, and while the 650 is the more refined, more solid, the 595 is better value (while the 555 with 595 mod is the best value of all).

I've only had the HD-555 which I didn't get a chance to mod. I quickly upgraded to HD-650's once I sampled them.
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess I'll have to have a listen in the HD-595 and see for myself then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back