AKG K702 Impressions.
Jun 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 636

crazyeyes

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I have had my K702's since friday they have been on constant burn in since then. They had less than 100 hours on them when I got them. I have put 100 hours since then.

They sound very good. I am really enjoying them. I am running them directly out of my Apogee Duet. I find them to be very detailed and neutral sounding.

The soundstage perception has gotten much better than when i first got them. I have found myself enjoying Andrea Bocelli, Norah Jones, and a lot of the vocal music that i have much more than i did when i had the HD650's. Don't get me wrong though these things do rock music very well too. I know many say the bass is lacking in them. They are lacking impact but the bass is there, and i find it to be plenty for most of the music i listen to. You are given a very accurate presentation of the recording you are listening to, if you give them a crappy recording they give you a crappy sound, give them a good recording and you get a good sound. You are listening to the music not the headphones which i really enjoy.

That is just my opinion as of now, I am sure these will change even more for the better as they continue to burn in. But they are making me enjoy a lot more of my music collection now.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 636
Glad you like them a lot. I have K701's which are essentially the same as the K702 and I find them really good with all types of music.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 636
K-702, 400 hours still changing
k701smile.gif
just get better and better. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k702-studio-393139/

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 636
The AKG Nazis will be here shortly to harp on how terrible your hearing is and the total lack of bass they have even though you have confirmed you have satisfactorily accepted their presentation. It's just their way of participating so take them with a deer block of salt and enjoy the wit.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 636
Also another note, I just hooked my Duet up to the Marantz 2275 we had laying around and plugged the K702's into that and the soundstage opened up quite a bit so i think i need to invest in a better headphone amp. Any suggestions for an amp that will sound as good if not better than what i am getting out of the 2275 for around the $300 mark i don't mind buying used either.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 636
You will get the EF-1 recommendation for your price. I don't think they will drive them with authority in this price range but if you need an amp, I guess it will due. They do need more power though the AKG site says they only need 200 mw max. A more powerful amp will give you better control at lower volumes so fatigue won't set in. Running an amp that only provides 200 mw will sound strained and not perform properly with that load.

Another amp to consider would be the Heed Canamp. Used will get you in your budget.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG Nazis will be here shortly to harp on how terrible your hearing is and the total lack of bass they have even though you have confirmed you have satisfactorily accepted their presentation. It's just their way of participating so take them with a deer block of salt and enjoy the wit.

Wit?! from them? where?

TWIT/s more like...

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will get the EF-1 recommendation for your price. I don't think they will drive them with authority in this price range but if you need an amp, I guess it will due. They do need more power though the AKG site says they only need 200 mw max. A more powerful amp will give you better control at lower volumes so fatigue won't set in. Running an amp that only provides 200 mw will sound strained and not perform properly with that load.

Another amp to consider would be the Heed Canamp. Used will get you in your budget.

The EF1 didn't work for me with the 701s. Try before you buy.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 636
Oldcoceyez does an admirable job at being witty and does come up with some decent advice (if you sift the cocca). His hearing at low level bass is shot, which means he needs jackhammer bass, but a saltmine worth of medicine will allow tolerance to have fun.

We're having fun Frank so be gentle.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 636
I find that my EF1 actually does quite well with the K701's. The tube used will be very important, as a wrong tube is going to make it overly sharp and plasticky (like RCA Cleartop or Mullards short plate). With a more neutral tube (Sylvania, Tungsram) they sound quite pleasant.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 636
Hmm I am starting to think i may want to just use the Marantz 2275 for a while and see if i can save up for something a bit nicer cause it sounds like anything in the $300 price range may or may not sound better than the 2275.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 636
I am a big fan of the EF1 / K701 combination, it has plenty of power to drive them very well, and IMO sounds much better than some of the brighter solid state stuff that I've heard. I think it will serve you well, and would love to hear what triode didn't like about it.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I am starting to think i may want to just use the Marantz 2275 for a while and see if i can save up for something a bit nicer cause it sounds like anything in the $300 price range may or may not sound better than the 2275.

I was going to suggest that but when folk are looking for recommendations, they are put off by suggesting this route. Good call.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a big fan of the EF1 / K701 combination, it has plenty of power to drive them very well, and IMO sounds much better than some of the brighter solid state stuff that I've heard. I think it will serve you well, and would love to hear what triode didn't like about it.

I have written on my impressions on the EF1 a few times before...

I heard the EF1 with the stock tube which was an RCA clear top at that time. It was uninvolving. The soundstage was wide and technically it didn't sound bad but it wasn't musical - no magic. And I was comparing it to my TTVJ Millett Hybrid Portable - yes! a portable. It is possible that changing tubes and opamps may fix this (I doubt it) but that would have put the cost of the amp up by another USD$70 (opamps alone).

I was going to buy the EF1 as a step up for my MHP but was both perplexed that it wasn't nicer since I had read so many good things about it. I was also glad that I saved myself some $$.

I believe, another member (orqvist?) also had the same experience with the EF1 and preferred his Heed canamp. That is why, I said that one should try before one buys it..it may not be your cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back