AKG K702 Impressions.
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #451 of 636
I don't know if anyone's still participating in this thread, but... I was wondering if anyone else has been having problems with the stock cable. For some reason, it always wanted to twist upon itself (none of my other headphones have cable that would do that), which was annoying on its own, but eventually it has lead to the cable covering to tear and break off in places (see attachment). Original replacement cables are ridiculously priced and after this one I don't put much faith in them. I could buy a third-party cable cheaper, but I was wondering if I should just take all the covering off and cover it with something else. Shrink tube seems a bit rigid and such and doesn't exactly look great, so some sort of mesh sleeve maybe? I don't know if it leaves the inner cables susceptible to interference, but at least it don't notice anything like that now with the cable cover partially missing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200618_153255_1.jpg
    IMG_20200618_153255_1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #452 of 636
I don't know if anyone's still participating in this thread, but... I was wondering if anyone else has been having problems with the stock cable. For some reason, it always wanted to twist upon itself (none of my other headphones have cable that would do that), which was annoying on its own, but eventually it has lead to the cable covering to tear and break off in places (see attachment). Original replacement cables are ridiculously priced and after this one I don't put much faith in them. I could buy a third-party cable cheaper, but I was wondering if I should just take all the covering off and cover it with something else. Shrink tube seems a bit rigid and such and doesn't exactly look great, so some sort of mesh sleeve maybe? I don't know if it leaves the inner cables susceptible to interference, but at least it don't notice anything like that now with the cable cover partially missing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-TA3F-V...mm+to+mini+xlr+pioneer&qid=1592577898&sr=8-32

This is still not cheap, but it is far more well made than the original cable. You can also choose the length you require. You can also save a bit if you buy each component (xlr socket, 3.5mm plug and cable) separately and wire it up yourself if you are able to do so.

If you want to do that, You can also choose the colour of your cable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damm...213540?hash=item1e98f505e4:g:rxIAAOSwkqNeKwVd

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-...012871&hash=item41a0f7fe9c:g:kugAAOSwf-VWXt28

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEUTRIK-...110806?hash=item210f35e416:g:itEAAMXQVT9TEFZg

This above says it only takes 4.0mm diameter cable. the cable is 4.85 but I've managed to wire up this cable to connectors rated for 4.0mm maximum before. I just depends on weather you think having more choice but having more work to to is worth the bit of money saved.

Otherwise just go for amazon's one. The only negative I would say is the weight (as the K702s are very lightweight) and the size of the xlr socket. It is a bit longer and more bulky than the original, so you may find it touching your shoulder a bit annoying at times.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #454 of 636
The K550s are not made any more, but some sites may have some old and unused stock. There have been many versions which sound pretty much identical. Original K550s, K550/k551, K553, K550 MKII, K550 MKIII. I've possibly missed some.

I had both these and the K702. I liked the sound of the K702 and although some may think I'm taking my criticism a step too far; I think the K702s were built like a cheap toy. They felt horribly cheap and creaked and popped. I had 3 (2 replacements from amazon). One due to poor soldering onto the pins in one ear cup and the other to do with the adjustment constantly making loud clicks while wearing them. I gave up and returned them. Anyway, I had owned them for quite some time before I ran into the major issues and they do sound similar to the K550s.

The K550s do have very bright treble and sound incredibly open and spacious (for a closed back headphone). The midrange is clear but the main weakness I would say the K550s have is a lack of midbass/lower midrange. Voices (especially male singers) can sound rather thin at times. The bass is certainly not that punchy, but had a lot more than the K702. The best thing about the K550s to me is that the bass doesn't roll off in the same way it does on many open backed headphones. It is really balanced and if it is bass heavy music, you can tend to hear and feel the bass and the same volume right down to 50hz and below. I noticed with the K702s and my other open back headphones that there is quite an obvious roll off in bass when it goes below 100hz or so. The K550s are great here.

When you could travel about when the virus was not disrupting things, I used the K550s on the bus all the time. When in a loud place, or anywhere with vibrations, due to it mainly being sub bass that is more noticeable on the K550s as well as them not having much clamping force, they can sound lacking in bass here, but I just use EQ.

That is one difference you certainly will notice. The K702s clamp far harder to your head than the K550s. For me, I don't like heavy clamp force, but for closed back headphones, many may find it quite important. But I found the K550s fitted me very well and they barely leak and sound and also partially block your surroundings (far more than the K702).

If they are still sold anywhere, I hope this helps!

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #455 of 636
Oy, what did you do to that cable? How many years of (ab)use?? :k701smile:

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #456 of 636
Oy, what did you do to that cable? How many years of (ab)use?? :k701smile:
They're about... two years old. I didnt' even do anything to them, they've just begun self-destructing like that. It's gotten a lot worse in the time since my last message, especially near the XLR connector. The cord material appears to have become very brittle and weak. I guess I really ought to get the new cable soon. Though I reckon that in addition to a 3-meter cable I'd also need a shorter one at some point too. Even more expense.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #457 of 636
Hello guys, I have just got ksc75 and I was impressed with the sound quality. So I want to move a step up my eyes was on Akg k702 especially their price now in uk usually under 150 $. And It was 350$ MSRP.But the problem I can't get a decent amp with it my budget will be 60$ for amp +150 for K702 but I'm afraid that it may sound bad with cheap amp. So should I go this way or better to get easier to drive headphone like X2Hr or ATH-900ADX or sennheiser hd599
With my Mb Asus b450 with supreme fx 1220 audio the Dac is clean with Ksc75 but the amp not so powerful it uses half power with Ksc75

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #459 of 636
You can get HRT Microstreamer from FS forums, heard the combination and was pleasantly surprised. You can piggy back the phone with it ( Android/ USB Player pro app ) and use it as a "walk around the house" option.

But I would advise u to try the AKG first with your mobo. If you like the direction, HRT will make it better but don't expect bass hits, in any setup, 'cause it won't be happening. AKG is bass light headphone where accuracy is more important than SPL.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #460 of 636
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #463 of 636
What would be the natural upgrade from the 702?
If you like the 702 i would say e-stats like Stax L700/009/Hifiman Jade. The 702 has a very airy, light sound with an extreme soundstage. All dynamics i heard don't match the 702 in this regards so i wouldn't call them an upgrade. E-stats remind me the most of the 702's presentation.

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #464 of 636
If you like the 702 i would say e-stats like Stax L700/009/Hifiman Jade. The 702 has a very airy, light sound with an extreme soundstage. All dynamics i heard don't match the 702 in this regards so i wouldn't call them an upgrade. E-stats remind me the most of the 702's presentation.

Thanks. Howerver the price difference is huge. I was more thinking in the 500€ to 800€ mark.

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #465 of 636
Thanks. Howerver the price difference is huge. I was more thinking in the 500€ to 800€ mark.
Had and have many headphones in that pricepoint and none i had is an upgrade over the 702. Just put down my Grado GS1000e and now listening to my 702 and like it more. Sidegrades yes. HD600 for example is a very different but excellent headphone or Hifiman Ananda which is clearly the better allrounder but completely different. Also had the Akg K812 and K872. Only real upgrade i know from the 702 are e-stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back