AKG K702 Headphones + FiiO E10K amp question and price point.
Sep 16, 2014 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

alidan

Head-Fier
My brother wants to get these specifically 

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K702-Headphones/dp/B001RCD2DW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410825446&sr=1-1&keywords=akg+k702 

They cost 220$ and he is thinking of getting FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier (Black) specifically 

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=pd_tcs_subst_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SPMAWH97MX1J3Q63PK2 

for 75$
​In total he is looking to spend just about 300$ minus shipping handling on these. 
He has I believe 

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410853176&sr=1-6

So the questions that I have so I can help him are.

1) Are those headphones worth the price?
2) Do they need an amp?
3) Can his speakers he is running them through drive them?
4) If he needs an amp, is the one he is looking at good? 
5) Is there a better amp for these headphones in around 120 or less, if there is an amp that is outstanding, 150 or less?
6) Given the current price of 300$, is there a headphone in that price range that doesn't require an amp, that would be better than what he is currently looking at? I believe the only requirement is they are full can, noting that rests on or in the ear. He would also like explosions to sound good, apparently my hd 555's he tried weren't good enough when it came to explosions, though he never tried to set up an equalizer to be more bass heavy. 

I would like to say thank you in advance for any help. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 11
If he needs a portable amp/DAC, I'd personally go with the E17 over the E10 (as I was considering the E10). That's what I did and I have it paired with the AKG Q701s. It's a slightly improved DAC and Amp with more versatile portable features IMO.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 11
  If he needs a portable amp/DAC, I'd personally go with the E17 over the E10 (as I was considering the E10). That's what I did and I have it paired with the AKG Q701s. It's a slightly improved DAC and Amp with more versatile portable features IMO.

Portability does not matter at all, he is getting this for a desktop pc, and when he goes off to college, the thing will only be used in his dorm. what matters right now is a tight budget... well... tight in the sense that he doesn't want to overspend on them, he is getting the headphones because they can last years if treated right, the amp is just a cost of driving them right.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 11
  Portability does not matter at all, he is getting this for a desktop pc, and when he goes off to college, the thing will only be used in his dorm. what matters right now is a tight budget... well... tight in the sense that he doesn't want to overspend on them, he is getting the headphones because they can last years if treated right, the amp is just a cost of driving them right.

I understand what his present goals are, but I think the E17 is an overall better value because it's only a little more and has (in my humble view) both a slightly better amp and DAC. The portability features are just a bonus he may like to have and that also give him more options in terms of resale value. Moreover, these features have value regardless of portability. I just think it's a generally more flexible device, whether for home or otherwise. It's a great bang for you buck. The E10 is a still a very good cheaper alternative though, don't get me wrong.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Well he should be aware that these are not bass-heavy, rather the opposite.
Of course they do reproduce bass, but it's not pronounced and punchy. 
They are great on sound stage and displaying subtle changes in the musical line.
Bassheads are not likely to buy these.

I've had my K702's for years now -- and they are still favorites, letting me hear deep
into complex symphonic passages, the nuance of operatic arias, and getting a spatial sense
of musicians spread across the stage.  

If listening to EDM, etc... then I might well use bass boost.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 11
If they are for a dorm room, does he want them to be open (he can hear outside noise and others can hear what he listening to) or closed for better isolation? Will it be for just movies (assuming that is what you mean when you say explosions) or music as well? What are his music preferences? It sounds like be enjoys bass which may mean the 702 might leave him wanting more.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 11
Mostly video games, battlefield 4 is what he tested my old 555's in and said they were great at everything but bass, so that amp with its bass boost may be good enough on its own for his wants, and if thats not getting bass to the point he wants an equalizer should probably get it there. While he would like isolation headphones, the only way our parents are letting him take money out of the bank for these if if they don't have to scream at him before he can hear them. 

Also as for the portable amp, he basically shot it down completely because its more expensive while not giving him anything he wants. He is basicly a shut in who if left to his own devices would never stand up or go into public. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Don't get K702, get K550 instead.

Similar sound sig (reportedly), and the K550 is much much cheaper. They can be found at about $150. They're also closed for better isolation.

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 11
  Don't get K702, get K550 instead.

Similar sound sig (reportedly), and the K550 is much much cheaper. They can be found at about $150. They're also closed for better isolation.

Unfortunately in this case, OP indicates that closed headphones aren't acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back