AKG k702 amp
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #17 of 24
I'm pretty new, too, and would like some amp advice. Same cans, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR as source eventually. Would like to find something to enhanc the soundstage and hopefully extend the bass reponse of the headphones. Budget is "under $300". I hear good things about the objective2, but I also hear that the K702 is picky about its amp.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
I'm pretty new, too, and would like some amp advice. Same cans, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR as source eventually. Would like to find something to enhanc the soundstage and hopefully extend the bass reponse of the headphones. Budget is "under $300". I hear good things about the objective2, but I also hear that the K702 is picky about its amp.

Hi

I think the K702 (and K701) headphones are great with really good amplifiers, but still surprisingly good with budget-ish amplifiers.

I use my K702s with two amplifiers, my Sugden Headmaster, which is a very excellent amplifier and I also use them with my Pro-Ject Headbox II which is a budget amplifier.

With my Sugden Headmaster the K702 headphones are really superb, but with the budget Pro-Ject amp they are still very useable.

I usually prefer solid state amplifiers, ideally fully class A. I don't like warm sounding amplifiers, for me the amplifier should not influence the music in this way. I think transparent amps are the best. The K702s are very transparent so use a transparent amplifier and source and then you will be able to hear the music. Let the musicians decide if they want to be warm, cold or whatever.

K702s can get out of control at the top of the treble, so it is good to have an amplifier which is well behaved at the top end. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 24
Just got the 702 anniversaries and they seem to pair well with the Schiit Magni

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #20 of 24
Ordered Schiit Bifrost & Lyr a couple of weeks ago as well as 702s. Have been enjoying/burning in 702s since with Channel Islands headphone amp and OPPO dvd player source. Any one here using Lyr to drive K 701/702 ? What tubes do you like? Does anyone have better cable for 702s?

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #21 of 24
My Lyr just shipped yesterday, I'm hoping it does a good job bringing the K701's to life, if not I plan on getting the HE-400's at some point. I plan on trying the Lyr out as a preamp as well, I haven't heard/read much as to how well it preforms at that task. My only concern is with that much gain will it be quiet (black background) running into my Parasound A21 or A23 amp. We'll see...

Best of luck finding your amp for the K701's. (maybe the Lyr?)

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 24
Have been using the Lyr & Bifrost combo for a month with various NOS tubes. Its a very nice amp/source with the 702s. 702s seem to be more energetic than Senn 600s. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #24 of 24
Is a Schiit Lyr too much power for these cans? I don't want to blow them... my HD650s sound great at the 9 o'clock position on my amp but I don't want to blow my Q701s with too much power...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back