AKG k702 amp
Mar 26, 2010 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

waldoh

New Head-Fier
I'm an audio noob and got a hold of a set of AKG k702's and they sound great alone, and on my PC's sound card built in amp (asus xonar) but i know it's know being used to their full potential.

Man question is what's the best amp i can get for a reasonable price (under 200) to power these things on my PC and maybe for my stereo/turntable?

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 24
check other threads on this forum.

but I would start with a Heed Canamp. These cans need some wollop to get them sounding full, warm-ish and loud without getting harch.

also you will immediatly hear crappy recordings (or bad FLAC, MP 3 files) for what they are.

these cans are ruthless. honest. -> put **** in -> get **** very detailed out.
feed them good stuff and the reward your ears big time!

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 24
I will hijack this thread as i am interested in buying the AKG 702 but i know i will need to feed this beast.

So, i am not looking for amp only, i am looking for DAC/AMP combo (onboard soundcards sucks :p), $300 budget, to drive the cans. Anything in this price range that can make the AKG really shine? The Maverick D1 Tubemagic zdkaiser mentioned seems to be a nice choice. Any other recommendations and/or advices?

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 24
If he has ASUS Xonar with build-in AMP, its ST or STX which is actually very good (pretty much as my X-Fi Forte 7.1 or others Auzentechs). Only downside is, that it has highly "machine" sound.

I would try to get some "warm" sounding amp to kill that "machine" sound from soundcard. Unless you plan to spend really lot of money, your soundcard is very good DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 24
i got a AKG K701 for mine laptop people recommend me to buy a Audio-gd FUN ( pre AMP headfhone amp and DAC ) for the price of 330 USD ( exclude shipping cost ) it good to got all 3 function in one system. Mine onboard sound card sucks this will be for me the best solution.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by waldoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an audio noob and got a hold of a set of AKG k702's and they sound great alone, and on my PC's sound card built in amp (asus xonar) but i know it's know being used to their full potential.

Man question is what's the best amp i can get for a reasonable price (under 200) to power these things on my PC and maybe for my stereo/turntable?

With that budget I'd get a Little Dot Hybrid or a Millet "Starving Student" Hybrid.

cheers!

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 24
I am also planning to get the AKG K702, but you need a muscle amp to drive it properly. I am planning to get the Burson HA-160.

Headamp 160

If you don't want to spend on an amp then may be go for the Grado which is easier to drive...

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by classakg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also planning to get the AKG K702, but you need a muscle amp to drive it properly. I am planning to get the Burson HA-160.

Headamp 160

If you don't want to spend on an amp then may be go for the Grado which is easier to drive...

Wow! .. That definitely looks like a nicek and fancy amp... 800mW into 60 ohms! How much does that baby sell for ?.. I couldn't find a price in the webpage.

cheers!

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! .. That definitely looks like a nicek and fancy amp... 800mW into 60 ohms! How much does that baby sell for ?.. I couldn't find a price in the webpage.

cheers!

Moon Audio is doing a promotion on the Burson HA-160 at the moment, selling it at 670USD.

Burson Audio

I will get one after Easter to match the K702.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cheers!

Maximum power input for K701/2 is 200mw. That does not mean it can't take higher power, it means, that's the ideal power level that this headphone should be played at.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maximum power input for K701/2 is 200mw. That does not mean it can't take higher power, it means, that's the ideal power level that this headphone should be played at.

Not at all. It means, as it is clearly labeled, that it is the MAXIMUM power AKG recommends putting into the 701/2 before possible driver/coil damage ensues. So basically if you feed it more power than that, you're pushing your luck.

However, that DOES NOT mean that you cannot use them with the Burson, since the amp will only deliver those full 800mW into the cans if you pump the volume up to the max.

Regardless of that, this is a moot point since the amp blows the OP budget limit by at least 450 USD...

cheers!

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 24
I don't know, but you could be right.

What you're also saying is that at 10% of volume the Burson will only deliver 80mw to the headphone? And at 30% of volume (240mw) it will blow up the drivers of K701?

Is that right.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, but you could be right.

What you're also saying is that at 10% of volume the Burson will only deliver 80mw to the headphone? And at 30% of volume (240mw) it will blow up the drivers of K701?

Is that right.

Well, I wouldn't venture (and I didn't) saying at which volume % would the amp damage the K701, the actual power delivered to the coil depends on other things (e.g. source output level).

But if that output power spec is true, it is certain that the Burson is perfectly capable of 'blowing up' the K701s, as it is able to deliver 4 times the maximum power rating of the cans.

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back