AKG K702 65th Anniv VS Hifiman HE400
Jul 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:
The headband has never once bothered me at all and I am bald! You must have some kind of funky shaped head! How can they be digging in if they are so light? This forum never ceases to amaze me!

You quoted the wrong post, I never said anything about the headband digging in. That being said, headphones can be light as a feather but over time a headband can still cause you pain or discomfort. Everyone's head shape and size is different so no headphone will rest exactly the same on two different people.

I am also bald and I find that over time even comfortable light headphones will start to feel uncomfortable. This is why I love the Audio Technica wing system so much, there is no band so they never become uncomfortable.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #32 of 52
You quoted the wrong post, I never said anything about the headband digging in. That being said, headphones can be light as a feather but over time a headband can still cause you pain or discomfort. Everyone's head shape and size is different so no headphone will rest exactly the same on two different people.

I am also bald and I find that over time even comfortable light headphones will start to feel uncomfortable. This is why I love the Audio Technica wing system so much, there is no band so they never become uncomfortable.

Oops! Sorry about that....I can wear my Annie's all day with no issues. I guess I am a mutant that way. I've only tried the Audio Technical system on a couple times and they never felt right to me, felt like they were going to fall off any second. I do have a small'ish head though.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:
Oops! Sorry about that....I can wear my Annie's all day with no issues. I guess I am a mutant that way. I've only tried the Audio Technical system on a couple times and they never felt right to me, felt like they were going to fall off any second. I do have a small'ish head though.

Yeah, many people dislike the wing system, especially if you have a smaller head. I happen to have a large head (mostly skull I think 
tongue.gif
) so the wing system just feels perfect to me. 

Do you own both the k702 anni and the He400? What are your impressions of the two if you have heard both. Even impressions of the annies would be helpful.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #34 of 52
Well, I kinda put my word in for the Annie a few posts earlier in the thread. The good about the HE-400 was definitely the transparency, sound stage and bass, but the high end just killed it for me. I like a lot of things about the HE-400, but after burning them in for over a week I listened quite a bit Sunday and my ears still kind of hurt today! Too much damn sizzle for me. That's one of the things I love about the Annies, tons of detail but not bright. Also great bass when needed, you'd swear they are bass shy till it comes time to make the bass and they deliver! It's a highly underrated/misunderstood headphone in my opinion. It's a world of boom sizzle excitement for a 10 minute demo, but then what? Can you really listen to that for a long time? Probably not....

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #35 of 52
he's probable talking about me, maybe it is my head haha!
biggrin.gif

Just to say it again, I still choose the 65th for it's comfort over the HE400, but still base on my experience of owning both, the HE400 headband is completely flat on top of my head where as the 65th still doesn't lay flat which pushes the front portion of the headband down toward my head.  I will say it again, that is just being picky.  I'm not going to say it's flawless when I don't think it is.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #36 of 52
Only real comfort issues I had with the HE-400 was the clamping pressure and that combined with the hard velour pads, it was pretty uncomfortable. Never had an issue with the weight or the headband.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #37 of 52
jmsaxon69,

I'm not sure if you still have them, but have you tried lowering the arms a bit to increase the size a tad?  I'm wondering if you have the head too small for your head.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 52
I tried a few things fit wise, sometimes they felt a bit better "bigger" and sometimes they didn't. They are gone as of yesterday.

I still don't understand the concept of the hifiman not having lines to indicate how far you are extending the headband. I'm pretty anal about both side being equal too.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #43 of 52
Well, I just wanna say that  I will recommond the K702 normal edition when compared with the 65th edition

Do you have both? I hear the only real difference is the pads and the non 65th Anniv has a slightly more airy sound and the 65th has a better bass sound and not as airy. Is that correct? You also have HE-400?

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #44 of 52
I own the K702 and K702 65th, but have no HE400. I found the 65th is of relatively close sound stage and less transparancy than the normal edition, but of easier-to-drive characristic and larger dynamic range, which I believe is a "modern" style.   

After all, the 65th is double the price of the normal K702. So I believe that K702 normal edition is of better performance-to-price ratio than the 65th edition. And under this condition, I think the choice might be between the HE400 and K702 instead of the 65th edition. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #45 of 52
Well I picked up my HE-400's today and I'm pretty impressed so far. I've only had them on for about twenty minutes though. I found it interesting that the little book that comes with them actually tells you to burn them in for 150 hours for best sound quality.

I find the fit of them strange. I have a rather large head but they seem to fit right for me with no adjustment. Usually I have to mess around for a while to get them right but if I increase the size at all the headband does not touch my head. They do feel pretty heavy.

They seem a bit hard to drive without an amp. Straight out of my phone the volume is very low. With my Fiio e17 the volume is adequate with a small gain increase. They definitely seem a bit harder to drive then I was expecting...

I notice the "sizzle" on the highs at higher volume, but I don't have much issue fixing this with EQ.

Other then that, so far so good. I definitely like the velour pads better then the stock ones.

I was going to audition the anni's one last time today before a final purchase... But they no longer have them in stock at my local shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back