AKG K701s too bright! How do I warm it up?
Jan 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #46 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvikul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice try
beyersmile.png
No i am not getting rid of them that easy. The mids sound incredible on these and I do listen to genres other than rock. Classical and female vocals are just fantastic on the K701s. Plus I have invested a lot of time burning these in. Perhaps I am getting emotionally attached
wink.gif

Also I have noticed its recording dependent. For example, the Led Zep 4-CD box set tracks sound great (the recording itself is warmer). I am going to keep these cans. Just need to make them sound a tad warmer with tweaks.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Damn I tried...
biggrin.gif

Oh and people, you are being quite egoistic, just because I told him first to give them to me for free doesn't mean you have to tell him to "sell" them...
atsmile.gif

Anyways if you want too keep it, go ahead, and get used to their sound,[size=xx-small](give them to me for free)[/size]

You can also [size=xx-small](give them to me for free)[/size] buy a new different warmer pair.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #47 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just sell it, and buy a warmer can. You'll just waste lots of time colouring your signal chain, and come to the expensive conclusion that you need another can.

x2. That's the signature sound of K701. If you want warmer feel (more near bass), get a different can. The HD650 is complementary to K701.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #48 of 80
Many of you are asking me to ditch my K701s
confused_face_2.gif
triportsad.gif

So if I were to look at a 2nd pair what would be a good choice of closed headphones (I want closed so I have one open and one closed phone - this way I can swap based on my environment) that would nicely complement the K701s? I can start saving now based on the recommendations.

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #50 of 80
Okay so I have an update and I am still in disbelief. After switching my amp (P-51 Mustang) from MED gain to HI, the sound signature of the K701s has transformed into something beautiful. Part of the transformation might also be due to my letting these cans burn-in more with pink noise this time.

At first I thougt my mind is playing tricks on me because it wants me to keep the K701s. So I gave gaps between listening sessions and now I am listening to Modest Mouse who sounded the brightest of all before (even on my home system). I cannot believe my ears. The bass is so much deeper and I am hearing sounds I never heard before. The highs are still bright due to the nature of their recording but not too bright anymore.

While a few days back I was avoiding rock music due to the brightness, now i am listening to rock continously and cant get these cans out of my head!

I am so thrilled I cannot find a smiley to express it! I hope I am not dreaming!

Thanks a LOT for all the suggestions. I love head-fi.

Moral of the story (stating the obvious probably) - the K701s need a LOT of burn-in and a LOT of current to drive them to optimal listening levels. If you are using a portable amp, make sure its a beast. Luckily the P-51 Mustang is a beast in a tiny package. I almost ordred the Tomahawk because it was cheaper but i am so glad now that I didn't.

Sorry about the long post. I really wanted to share my excitement to all the folks who tried to help me.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #51 of 80
Rvikul: You're hearing the effects of increased volume moreso than increased current. Try switching back to medium gain and raising the volume a bit; you'll experience a similar perceived increase in quality.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #52 of 80
Easiest solution, but not the greatest: get a separate equalizer or use a computer source w/ a proper program and adjust the frequencies as you see fit.

The other solution as so many have pointed out: Get warmer/darker headphones.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #53 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just sell it, and buy a warmer can. You'll just waste lots of time colouring your signal chain, and come to the expensive conclusion that you need another can.

Keep it and get a different flavor can to compliment the 701's. Something like the Denon 5000's or Markl Mod2000's of maybe some Beyer DT700's or 990's.
You always run across music that you'll say to yourself, " This would have sounded great on those AKG's".

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #54 of 80
IMO, the K701's are very good at revealing a bright source or a bright recording. In other words, they give you back what is fed to them. Therefore, if the K701's sound bright on all rock recordings, for example, that to me would would generally indicate a problem with the source.

Sounds like the problem has been resolved for you, but I make the point I made above because I think people too often blame their new headphones for a SQ issue, when it often starts at the source.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #55 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rvikul: You're hearing the effects of increased volume moreso than increased current. Try switching back to medium gain and raising the volume a bit; you'll experience a similar perceived increase in quality.

Indeed. A lot of people repeat the More Current meme when what they're really appreciating is More Volume. And since so few correct it, the meme gets repeated until people start believing amps provide all sorts of mystical benefits to headphones beyond the primary stimulation of More Volume.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #57 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the K701's are very good at revealing a bright source or a bright recording. In other words, they give you back what is fed to them. Therefore, if the K701's sound bright on all rock recordings, for example, that to me would would generally indicate a problem with the source.

Sounds like the problem has been resolved for you, but I make the point I made above because I think people too often blame their new headphones for a SQ issue, when it often starts at the source.

I concur. While there are exceptions to the rule, generally a lot of the pop and rock recordings out there are poorly recorded and/or heavily processed.

The 701s are neutral and high fidelity cans. I believe they were made for studio monitoring hence are quite unforgiving of poor recordings and anxillary components. (garbage in = garbage out).

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed. A lot of people repeat the More Current meme when what they're really appreciating is More Volume. And since so few correct it, the meme gets repeated until people start believing amps provide all sorts of mystical benefits to headphones beyond the primary stimulation of More Volume.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, as there are such things as bright, warm, etc amps. Amps add flavor to the SQ chain as well as adding volume and current. I can't exactly comment on the current effects of a powerful home amp since I'm waiting for mine to be built, but I trust the majority of the experienced head-fiers that can attest to the benefits.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #59 of 80
The current reserves needed with the 701s is what gives the impact and sustained power in the body of the sound. The instrument decay is more natural sounding and lasts longer. All done without having to increase db to hear the music. I listen to my music much lower now that my equipment can present it properly.

Making the 701s do this takes the kind of power supply you'd build to show off in shop class. Like dropping a Hemi in a Gremlin.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #60 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701s are neutral and high fidelity cans. I believe they were made for studio monitoring hence are quite unforgiving of poor recordings and anxillary components. (garbage in = garbage out).

So what you are saying is the K701 is not meant for enjoying music. It is actually a monitoring tool meant for weeding out bad recordings and components. After deploying the K701 upon one's music collection one will find that many once enjoyed recordings are in fact "garbage" and can be done away with once and for all. Forget that you may have enjoyed those recordings with previous equipment. The previous equipment was wrong.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back