AKG K701 vs Audiotechnica W5000
May 10, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #31 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
I'm a big fan of the W5000
biggrin.gif
and had previously owned 2 of them. But as of all headphones, they have their own flaws. No lack of impact, only lack of weight.

Yes, "weight" probably describe better than "impact" what I was trying to say.
The only thing I miss in my W5000 is that sort of "full bodied" sound that the HD650 has. Having said that I prefer by far the W5000 to the HD650 as a whole.
I have to underline that at the moment I have compared the two above with quite poor amplification, as I have been using the headphone jack of the Lavry Black and stock cable for the HD650.
The Lavry was really struggling to drive the HD650 and I am sure they improve a lot with extra market cables.
As for the W5000, the lack of "weight" can probably be solved with the right amp (probably tubes). The best synergy I found with them was with the new RS B-52 (well, a bit pricey) and the exctremely cheap Chinese Original Master.

May 10, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #32 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
W5000 does rock better indeed. I draw the conclusion like this, I much preferred SA5000 to K701 for rock and now I prefer W5000 to SA5000 for rock.

I will be borrowing K701 again shortly. I want to audition it with D02.

Seconded. IMO the W5000 is a great all around can, but really shines with rock.
I had planned to buy a pair of RS1 while in the US for the nat meet (half price then in Europe
rolleyes.gif
).
I always heard saying that the RWS1 are the best headphones for rock; but when I tried I found them way inferior to the W5000 even for rock

May 10, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I always find it a bit weird when people assume that a headphone good for acoustic and classic means it isn't good for rock. I've listened to many types of music on my 701's, and it's more dependent on the recording itself rather than the genre of music. I've used the 701's for everything from War of the Worlds DVD movie, to trance, folk, to dance, hip/hop to new age, to Big Band, to classic rock, and there are WOW moments for every one of those genres.

Ditto.........I haven't been able to throw anything at the 701's that they didn't handle quite well(understatement), and I listen to 70% rock in one form or another.
Best,
Jim

~
edit...after 500 hours play time.

May 10, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #35 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Well, from what I read here I should give the K701 another try.

But did anybody tried them at the AKG stand at the nat meet? I am the only one thinking that they sounded awfully bad?

Did you listen to them out of the ASL tube amp/CD Player or whatever they had hooked up to the iPod?

May 10, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Which of the two will "wow" New Age music, violin, and accoustic/flamenco guitar?
What about piano concerto?

I'd reach for the k701.

May 10, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Yes, "weight" probably describe better than "impact" what I was trying to say.
The only thing I miss in my W5000 is that sort of "full bodied" sound that the HD650 has. Having said that I prefer by far the W5000 to the HD650 as a whole.
I have to underline that at the moment I have compared the two above with quite poor amplification, as I have been using the headphone jack of the Lavry Black and stock cable for the HD650.
The Lavry was really struggling to drive the HD650 and I am sure they improve a lot with extra market cables.
As for the W5000, the lack of "weight" can probably be solved with the right amp (probably tubes). The best synergy I found with them was with the new RS B-52 (well, a bit pricey) and the exctremely cheap Chinese Original Master.

yup, it is weight that the W5k lacks, the phone itself has plenty of impact/punch. Aside from that, the exegerrated mid range that makes vocal particularly clear also seems to sound rather hollow at times, especially with female vocals...where I find that the hokiness is rather irritating. The same honky effect was also found on the W1000, as well as the SA5000 when I tried them at a meet I attended to a couple days ago. I tend to view the honky midrange as a flaw just like sibilance, which I dislike alot. Anyway, aside from these two anomalies, along with the tad-smaller-soundstage that I'd like, the phone has the sound that I love.

I sold the W5k, and basically converted it to a pair of K701 and RS-1, I actually love these 2 phones more than the W5k alone.
wink.gif

May 10, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

The same honky effect was also found on the W1000, as well as the SA5000 when I tried them at a meet I attended to a couple days ago. I tend to view the honky midrange as a flaw just like sibilance, which I dislike alot.

Was it consistant with all the sources?

They are not open cans, so, I'd expect a bit of colouration but I don't hear a honky midrange.

May 10, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Was it consistant with all the sources?

They are not open cans, so, I'd expect a bit of colouration but I don't hear a honky midrange.

Yes it is part of their sound. Even on the W100 which leans towards a warmer side, the honkiness is still present...but at a very small degree, some may not notice it however. As far as the W5000 and W1000 are concerned, it is rather significant. As for the SA5000, it'd be least obvious compared to the W series, but one would still notice that there is something wrong with the SA5000's mid range, just like the W1000 and W5000. I had tried the SA5000 with the headamp GS-1 and it kinda lessen the coloration, I noticed that the GS-1 has rather detail mids and tends to sharpen the image a little. Nonetheless, the coloration is still obvious, no way around it imho..none that i know of.

EDIT: lots of grammatic error
tongue.gif

May 10, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #41 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
Did you listen to them out of the ASL tube amp/CD Player or whatever they had hooked up to the iPod?

Hard to tell because the electronic was hidden behind the stand and only the headphone stuck out
confused.gif

May 10, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #42 of 67
Quote:

yup, it is weight that the W5k lacks, the phone itself has plenty of impact/punch. Aside from that, the exegerrated mid range that makes vocal particularly clear also seems to sound rather hollow at times, especially with female vocals...where I find that the hokiness is rather irritating. The same honky effect was also found on the W1000, as well as the SA5000 when I tried them at a meet I attended to a couple days ago. I tend to view the honky midrange as a flaw just like sibilance, which I dislike alot. Anyway, aside from these two anomalies, along with the tad-smaller-soundstage that I'd like, the phone has the sound that I love.

I sold the W5k, and basically converted it to a pair of K701 and RS-1, I actually love these 2 phones more than the W5k alone.
wink.gif

Well, if impact=punch, then mychoice of word was definetely wrong (sorry I am Italian): the W5000 do have plenty of punch.
I do agree with a little colouration of the midrange which can be called honky, but to me it is part of the sound signature of the W5000 that I like a lot.

Finally, I use the W5000 at work and they are the only can I can use in the office, as I haven't found any other closed HP that I like (apart from the L3000, which are practically impossible to get here in Europe).
I like the W5000 so much that I am thinking of getting another pair (or perhaps W2000) for home
580smile.gif

May 10, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #43 of 67
i actually sold my first pair...then realised there was no where to go...and decided to buy another...but i sold it again in the end...

there will be a W2006 by end of the year....sit tight...just 7 more months
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #44 of 67
Quote:

Nonetheless, the coloration is still obvious, no way around it imho..none that i know of.

I agree that they are colourd ( as the RS1 ).
But the degree of colouration can be minimised depending on the source and the amp is what I'm getting at.

W2002 I borrowed showed even more coloured presentation. But it had a very vivid and immediate midrange that was nice. ( slow, tho )

Ah. well, I still prefer the open cans anyways.

Too bad, AKG does not make a uber version of the K271s.

May 10, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

i actually sold my first pair...then realised there was no where to go...and decided to buy another...but i sold it again in the end...

there will be a W2006 by end of the year....sit tight...just 7 more months
very_evil_smiley.gif

Are you sure? When? Where? How? How much? Why not sooner?

I will sit very tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back