AKG K701 vs Audiotechnica W5000
May 9, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 67
Those are two very different cans.

I own the W5000 and to me they are the best cans I have heard so far, with the exception of the L3000 (which costs 3 times more) and the Orpheus (15 times more); anyway, both these are now discontinued.
They are close cans and isolate very well, they also look fantastic. Very fast, with good soundstage, never harsh or bright, very fast and snappy bass, lovely sound signature. They also are not fussy about amplification: they sound very good even with cheap amps.
Only drawback, they lack a bit of impact both in the bass and overall, but I am sure that could be fixed with the right amplification.
Cost: $800

I have tried the K701 at the nat meet, not the best environment for open headphones to say the least. To say that I was disappointed is a big understatement.
In the official AKG stand they were not burnt in (only 30 hours) and paired with quite poor electronics. The result was IMO worst than Bose
eek.gif
. Neko Case sounded as if she had been out drinking all night and just woke up with a huge hang over. I mean really dreadful. I tried another couple of pairs with different electronic, but things did not get better: very thin, plasticky sound and very innatural voices.
This is not at all my final judgement about the K701, as I have heard too many good comments from reptable headfiers and I know how much this HP needs burn in, a good source and good amplification, so I will try them again.
All I can say is that, in the best scenario, is a can that needs lot of attention and lot of money in related equipment to give their best.
I believe they sell new for about $400

May 9, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 67
Another recommendation for the W5k from me. When they were released a couple (maybe 10) head-fiers picked them up, most commended their strengths but also noted a few flaws, such as some fit-issues and a (IMO non-existant) lack in bass. I found them rather dry in nature at first, but otherwise was very happy with them, and found them to smooth out with burn-in. I think they are an excellent headphone, very balanced and articulate. Add to that their super comfort and aesthetic appeal, and I think you have one killer can with exceptional ownership satisfaction.

May 9, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
For the price/performance I'd go with the K701 in a heartbeat.

Price/performance is a highly subjective matter. Sure, some stock HD650 or K701 probably are the price/performance leading cans around, but most of these considerations are thrown overboard anyway once people start looking at cable upgrades or amping choices, let alone balanced setups, which most owners will invariably do after their initial purchases.

May 9, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Price/performance is a highly subjective matter. Sure, some stock HD650 or K701 probably are the price/performance leading cans around, but most of these considerations are thrown overboard anyway once people start looking at cable upgrades or amping choices, let alone balanced setups, which most owners will invariably do after their initial purchases.

Not to nitpick, but why would someone be any more likely to do that with a K701 over a W5000?

May 9, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanPrior
What´s of this cans better? What´s thinking of this cans?

I have both so I am ultimately spared from having to choose. That said, I'd have to go with the k701. I've just had way more "wow" moments with them. They are hands-down winners for classical and acoustic music. Instrument separation and resolution is phenomenal.

For me, the w5000s strength is live rock. The soundstage is more real. You can really feel the shape of the room the recording was made in. Overall they sound more liquid - not soft or muddy, just liquid, if that makes sense.

Both are great cans, but if I had to give up one of them, I'd let the w5000s go. That's even before factoring in the price.

May 9, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn
I have both so I am ultimately spared from having to choose. That said, I'd have to go with the k701. I've just had way more "wow" moments with them. They are hands-down winners for classical and acoustic music. Instrument separation and resolution is phenomenal.

For me, the w5000s strength is live rock. The soundstage is more real. You can really feel the shape of the room the recording was made in. Overall they sound more liquid - not soft or muddy, just liquid, if that makes sense.

Both are great cans, but if I had to give up one of them, I'd let the w5000s go. That's even before factoring in the price.

Agreed!

May 9, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn

So, a K701 can't rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back