AKG K701 vs Audiotechnica W5000
May 11, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
I agree that they are colourd ( as the RS1 ).
But the degree of colouration can be minimised depending on the source and the amp is what I'm getting at.

W2002 I borrowed showed even more coloured presentation. But it had a very vivid and immediate midrange that was nice. ( slow, tho )

Ah. well, I still prefer the open cans anyways.

Too bad, AKG does not make a uber version of the K271s.

true, matching will probably be able to minimize it
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Are you sure? When? Where? How? How much? Why not sooner?

I will sit very tight

they will very likely launch a new phone by end of the year. looking at their trend in the past few years, they have been launching new woodies almost every year end. Whether it will be limited edition or not is not known...but very likely there will be a new phone. Why year end? it's an AT thing
tongue.gif

May 11, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
they will very likely launch a new phone by end of the year. looking at their trend in the past few years, they have been launching new woodies almost every year end. Whether it will be limited edition or not is not known...but very likely there will be a new phone. Why year end? it's an AT thing
tongue.gif

Well a seven long months wait then

May 11, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Hard to tell because the electronic was hidden behind the stand and only the headphone stuck out
confused.gif

Oh weird, when I went to listen to the K501 they specifically asked which setup I wanted to hear it through.

May 12, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
Oh weird, when I went to listen to the K501 they specifically asked which setup I wanted to hear it through.

No, they did not propose alternative possibilities. I did discuss with the AKG representative for quite a while and he told me the K701 had about 30 hours

May 12, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
No, they did not propose alternative possibilities. I did discuss with the AKG representative for quite a while and he told me the K701 had about 30 hours

Why would they demo a pair of non burned in headphones? That's a very noobish thing for them to do.

When my 701s had 30 hours on them, they sounded congested, lacked bass, lacked detail and had no dynamics.

After 100 hours, they blossomed, bass came back, detail was very good, instrument seperation was rock solid, dynamics were there, and the sound was tranformed.

So, if you heard them with only 30 hours burn in, you don't really know what they sound like.

May 12, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321

So, if you heard them with only 30 hours burn in, you don't really know what they sound like.

That is exactely what I mean. What's more, I come specially from Europe to the meet and that was probably my only chance to listen to the K701.
I know I did not have a good sample of what they are capable of, but if I want to give them another try now, I iwill have to buy blindly a pair.
I was not questioning the quality of the cans, but the policy of showing a brand new pair at the official AKG stand

May 12, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #52 of 67
I wish Headroom did a frequency graph of the W5000 to put things into perspective. IMO, they easily distanced the MS2 when I heard them side by side, in terms of resolution, extension, airyness and soundstage. The Grados had a neutral, coherent sound, that was intriguing, but couldn't quite compete with the W5000, which delivered many of the Grado's main qualities and then some. To put in perspective I had no problems to let go of the MS-2 when I decided to only keep on main can for my home rig, and eventually even sold my HF-1
eek.gif
. I know it can't float everybody's boat, but I am a bit bewildered why quite a few people here who owned them, gave up on them. IMO, they are very balanced across the board and unite many important sonic aspects in one great headphone. It does display a slightly warm/dry tonality in the mids, but 'honky' is a vast exaggeration, me thinks.

May 12, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
I wish Headroom did a frequency graph of the W5000 to put things into perspective.

Very soon, your wishes will come true.

May 12, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey

Jamey -

Are you guys going to sell Sony headphones as well, or just AT? Since HeadRoom is [justifiably] becoming the place to go for headphones, it would be nice to have every major headphone manufacturer represented.

May 12, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Jamey -

Are you guys going to sell Sony headphones as well, or just AT? Since HeadRoom is [justifiably] becoming the place to go for headphones, it would be nice to have every major headphone manufacturer represented.

I agree that it would be nice to sell Sony headphones. I'm certainly working towards carrying every major headphone but, Sony isn't particularly interested in us right now. Their headphones are only available to us through distribution which leaves very little operating margin. We do have to pay for our measurements somehow so I have a few requirements I have to meet before bringing in new headphones. Also, sony has a rather large product line that changes frequently. It's hard enough for us to keep up with the manufacturers we carry now. Hopefully we'll get better at it and be able to carry Sony someday. On that note, we don't necessarily have to be a dealer of a particular headphone to measure it though we do place priority on headphones that we do carry.

Cheers,
Jamey

May 13, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #58 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey

Hi Jamey!

Just want to make it clear- will Headroom start selling AT headphones?

Thanks!

May 13, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #59 of 67
These are both great headphones imo. The w5000 does have a slightly recessed midrange, but also has tight, punchy bass and great detail resolution. The K701's are very neutral and do everything pretty well, maybe a little more resolving too. Considering price, the K701's win hands down, be advised of fit when considering the W5000's as well, they tend to fit larger noggins better(the reason I sold mine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back