AKG K701 unamplified, with cowon D2 player. Does it work?
Feb 5, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #136 of 150
I wasn't addressing anyone specifically. I was just wondering why portability was an issue when using full sized cans like the 701. I missed the part where he said he will use it at home. Jazz, are you saying you like the Opera as the best dynamic headphone amp? Last sentence its kinda fragmented. That little sucker must pack a wallop to beat out the opera. I cant decide between the 7 and the D2.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #137 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jazz, are you saying you like the Opera as the best dynamic headphone amp? Last sentence its kinda fragmented. That little sucker must pack a wallop to beat out the opera. I cant decide between the 7 and the D2.

I guess that what jazz meant was that it does not matter how good the amp is, because using it with iAudio will be double amplification and therefor more distortion and overall coloration of the sound, there is different oppinions of this topic. The best would always be to use line-out to an amp, iPod has line-out.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #138 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that what jazz meant was that it does not matter how good the amp is, because using it with iAudio will be double amplification and therefor more distortion and overall coloration of the sound, there is different oppinions of this topic.

I'd like to give another opinion about this double amping. None of my DAPs had a clearly distorted sound when I "double amped" it.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #139 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of my DAPs had a clearly distorted sound when I "double amped" it.

The distortion we're talking about is clearly below 0.1% (you could just as well add one or two 0s), so it isn't audible as such. Nevertheless, what makes amplifiers sound like they sound is primarily their individual distortion spectrum which makes for signal degradation and transparency reduction.

In some cases an additional amplification may sound «better» exactly because of reduced transparency, thus increased forgivingness; also, sonic synergy may play an important part. My Archos Gmini 220 has a quite dry and «accurate», non-euphonic sound through its headphone out. Connected to my Aria prototype, the sound becomes fuller, rounder and smoother, hence more enjoyable over-all, but the reduced transparency and detail is audible if I focus on it. Still I don't hear any «underpoweredness» (lack of dynamics or bass control) of the headphone out many claim to hear compared to an external amp. I still think in many of those cases the usual suspect is at work: undersized buffer capacitors leading to a bass drop-off at low impedances.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #140 of 150
Wow a great topic! Maybe 'cause I own a D2 by myself
wink.gif

I'm sure a good headphone is never a waste of money with a decent DAP, but there is always better...

BTW, I'm using my D2 only by travelling, so an open HP is nothing for me. At home I'm using my Stax combo (dedicated listening) or CEC/DT990 during surfing around.

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #143 of 150
I'm sorry, I was away (vacation, then was very busy on work), so if somebody still interested here is my report.

First thind I did, I purchased D2... and returned it after couple of days....unfortunately this thing simply didn't work. Looks to me as pre pre BETA release - half of the functions doesn't work, crashing all the time, files doesn't show up, ....very long list of issues. Firmware updates doesn't help... never mind. I've returned it - it's not an option.

....But I've purchased K701 as well, and I connected it to the headphone output of my MacBook ( known to be quite good sound quality wise ) with no amplifier, and.... yes, I was blown away by it's sound. This thing can really fool me that I'm listening to the REAL sound, even without amp.

Sometimes (on some good record) I completely forget that I have device on my head - this is quite important point - NO OTHER, cheaper, but more suitable for mobile use alternatives, like Sen. HD555, 595, DT770, etc. (that were recommended by many here on this thread, as more adequate alternative to K701 without amp) CAN NOT DO IT for me! My brain simply can't, believe to their sound. I always feel some artificial sound source on my head. K701 is more like $3000 speaker system.

So, if it sounds good out of MacBook, it will DEFINITELY sound at least the same out of D2, since it suppose to have much more powerful amp inside

...well, of cause, bass is, let's say it politely, "very special", in fact - almost non existent. It was expected. I don't know is it a an absence of amplification, no burn-in, or just it's their nature.... yes it little bit thin, not full enough (but still OK), so I'm going to get an DAC AMP combo anyway - ZERO 24BIT, or EMU 0404 usb (not sure it has enough power for k701???) sounds very promising.

As for semi portable use (at home) the only alternative I can see is a decent DAP ( Trekstor vibez, may be Kenwood $$$ ) and some portable amp... or to get another try with D2. This player seems to be very sensitive to files it plays. Some files it plays, some not. May be it is possible to make it work, it just a matter of time, which I don't have.

Summary: I extremely satisfied with K701 as it is, but of cause I realize that it's not the final performance, there is a space for improvement, and I can see it clearly now. Special thanks to JaZZ and Gurra1980 who convinced me to get it!

In a meantime several people strongly recommended me to try etymotic ER4P, claiming, that they will sound at least on pair with K701, but in portable variant. Today, I finally got it from e-bay, so I will be able to compare these two. I'll post the results soon. Could be interesting comparison. It worth another thread.

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #144 of 150
I bought also K701 and with just the tiny iaudio7 it produces a beuatifull sound.
Even though i'm sure that it could benefit immensly from serios source and amp, still K701 straight out of the iaudio sounds more beautifull to me than any of the phones you see in my sig.
Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #145 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E-MU 0404 USB

I see that you have E-MU 0404 USB, I'm thinking to get it for K701, but I've heard it's not powerful enough for it. What can you say?

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #146 of 150
No.. it is sold
smily_headphones1.gif
I sold it because i found it mediocre as source and amp to drive the HD580. I really wasnt optimistic about k701 and iaudio. I mean i'm very picky, i didnt like HD580 and K501 with creek OBH 21 SE and sold them all.
I trully dont know how a tiny DAP manages to produce pleasurable sound out of k701, but it trully does.
I connected the k701 with Sony A816 and there feels really underpowered and weak sounding. With iaudio you dont get that impression (at least i dont get it).

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #147 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.. it is sold
smily_headphones1.gif
I sold it because i found it mediocre as source and amp to drive the HD580. I really wasnt optimistic about k701 and iaudio. I mean i'm very picky, i didnt like HD580 and K501 with creek OBH 21 SE and sold them all.
I trully dont know how a tiny DAP manages to produce pleasurable sound out of k701, but it trully does.
I connected the k701 with Sony A816 and there feels really underpowered and weak sounding. With iaudio you dont get that impression (at least i dont get it).

Why bother getting an Opera?

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #148 of 150
I just finished reading all 15 pages of this thread. I'm convinced; these headphones are quite capable of rocking out without a superamp. It was particularly encouraging to read JaZZ, Gurra1980, and lelek45's posts in the midst of a lot of noise from people who'd never tried the phones with the combinations discussed in the thread.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #149 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that you have E-MU 0404 USB, I'm thinking to get it for K701, but I've heard it's not powerful enough for it. What can you say?

I'm using AUDIO KONTROL 1 USB sound card, better then the EMU on the headphone amp specifications, look like they have the same AD/DA Converters.
The EMU have more db on the output level.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k702-studio-393139/

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #150 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished reading all 15 pages of this thread. I'm convinced; these headphones are quite capable of rocking out without a superamp. It was particularly encouraging to read JaZZ, Gurra1980, and lelek45's posts in the midst of a lot of noise from people who'd never tried the phones with the combinations discussed in the thread.

Since last posting in this thread, I went and bought the K701. They sound great through my Macbook, and great through my mixer (UB802). To anyone reading and considering these phones, don't fall prey to the echo chamber. Try the phones out for yourself with your gear and your ears before buying what other people tell you is necessary to enjoy them. :O)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back