akg k701 rewire options/opinions
Apr 23, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RAL Paradise Cryo-Silver w/the K701 leaves nothing to be desired. : )

Their cables are fantastic, my favorite IC out of a 4th Gen iModded iPod. I have also heard it out of a Senn HD600 and it was spectacular even surpasing my previous favorite a Senn V2 in Blacksilver by Headphile. I also heard the RAL on a PROline 2500, superb!

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the sound change withe apuresound V3 on the 701s? Was it worth it?
Lee

I just finished logging the 120 hours that Alex recomends. Now I need to get w/ vorlon1 who has an stock K701 to compare them side by side.

I think it is best to compare side by side to avoid games the mind may play on you. Will let you know.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RAL Paradise Cryo-Silver w/the K701 leaves nothing to be desired. : )

Price and place where you can get it done (website)?

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by klb2122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah where'd you get that done?
from their website: looks like it must cost more than a pretty penny.

It cost me $279/shipped USPS Priority for a 2 meter, dual-entry RAL recable on the K701. The cost for the APS V3 would be in the same ball park, maybe a tad more.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much like installing $2000 machined alloy wheels on a Civic.

$280 cables on a $280 headphone?

Motorhead bling vs. audiophool bling IMO

Please don't knock what you haven't tried, much less haven't (apparently) compared.

IMHE, the stock K701 were promising/potential "keepers" and therefore warranted--in my mind at least--a worthy recable. With the RAL, the K701 are worth "twice as much"--at least!--IMHO, based on sound quality improvement. : )

Well, when I did have more expendable cash, I also had Brad at RAL build a Senn/HD5/6xx cable and a Proline 750/2500 recable. In each case a quantum improvement, and worth every cent (IMHO). : )

Research often requires seemingly disproportionate monetary expenditures. For me, anyway, the RAL cable was well, well worth it.

Lastly, I don't agree with your Honda Civic analogy, either. You already exhibit a bias implying that recabling headphones in this case is more cosmetic than performance-improving.

Again, please don't knock it if you haven't yet tried it.

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #38 of 51
I just find it amusing that hundreds of dollars are spent on cables for headphones that cost so little.

During my 12+ years in high end audio sales and management, I indulged in many high ticket cables. For a short while, I had $2400 worth of speaker cable (two runs, bi-amped @ $1200ea) running to $3000 a pair speakers. An absurd proportion wouldn’t you agree? This only occurred because I took advantage of a 85% discount on a special accommodation deal from the cable vendor. It was fun. Then I sold the speaker hose for a profit and got something a bit more reasonable. I still own a good many $200 interconnects, $500 speaker cables, and power accessories from my hifi days.

Cables do have a subtle effect on performance, so forgive me for having a bit of fun at your expense.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

I just find it amusing that hundreds of dollars are spent on cables for headphones that cost so little.

During my 12+ years in high end audio sales and management, I indulged in many high ticket cables. For a short while, I had $2400 worth of speaker cable (two runs, bi-amped @ $1200ea) running to $3000 a pair speakers. An absurd proportion wouldn’t you agree? This only occurred because I took advantage of a 85% discount on a special accommodation deal from the cable vendor. It was fun. Then I sold the speaker hose for a profit and got something a bit more reasonable. I still own a good many $200 interconnects, $500 speaker cables, and power accessories from my hifi days.

Cables do have a subtle effect on performance, so forgive me for having a bit of fun at your expense.

O.K. Thanks! I stand corrected. : )

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this RAL? I don't see anything about headphone re-cabling.

Yes! However you have to email or call Brad for headphone cables. BTW be advised that lately some of RAL customers have complained that his cables take too much time to be delivered. You may want to research this before placing an order.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! However you have to email or call Brad for headphone cables. BTW be advised that lately some of RAL customers have complained that his cables take too much time to be delivered. You may want to research this before placing an order.

I wasn't going to order anything. I just wanted to get some info and see some pictures.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Much like installing $2000 machined alloy wheels on a Civic.

$280 cables on a $280 headphone?

Motorhead bling vs. audiophool bling IMO

This is a horribly inaccurate analogy for many reasons. First off, K701s are not analogous to a Civic, they're more like a Porsche or other high-performance car. Next, the MSRP on them is $450, but it just so happens that the market price is mid-$200s; this is an incredible steal. Continuing, a recable is NOT cosmetic... using a stock cable is akin to driving an F1 car with 87 octane gasoline. The cable is the fuel, and depending on how much you are willing to spend, you get better fuel. So, if you want to "win the race," so to speak, you want the best fuel. In the case of the K701, the best, and accordingly most expensive cables are perhaps the Jena and Apuresound. I know there are numerous skeptics on this forum, but seeing as though most everyone who gets their headphones recabled by a top craftsman notices multifarious improvements in SQ, I am willing to invest more than what I paid for my headphones in a recable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back