akg k701 rewire options/opinions
Apr 16, 2008 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

klb2122

100+ Head-Fier
i've read several threads where folks make mention of various recable-ing that have shown signifcant improvements in the k701s functionality. now while i've been struck by mention of moon audios' options i'm wondering if it might be possible to compile a group of responses/suggestions from users that have seen improvements, or not, and from what sources.

my system currently has copper based interconnects but i have some silver/copper/gold alloys coming in the mail. with that in mind where would that lead experienced users in terms of a phone re-cable?

thanks

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 51
The wires that coming to you is solid core? I won't recommend it for recabling HP
smily_headphones1.gif
It's by no way flexible enough.

But, I hope someone will show me how to rewire the single-sided K701 to "normal"
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 51
Recabling K701s and maintaining the single-sided entry/exit would be tricky. About the only way to do it would be to wrap the conductors around the compression bands. You would have to make a small hole at the top of the plastic covers for the conductors. Not exactly the pretties look IMO but could be done.

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 51
the cables i was referring to are the interconnects connecting my usb/dac to my amp. I'm not confident enough for DIY at this point in time so i was mostly looking to hear from folks that have had their k701s recabled, what and/or where the cable is/came from and how are the results, hopefully there's someone out there that has had heard recabled k701s from various sources and using various cable materials.

please enlighten me!

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 51
ok so not much going on here. sorry if this line of questioning is a bore. Maybe my concerns aren't "hot-topic" enough, but, the question remains....

i've been emailing back and forth with drew from moon-audio all day and now i'm wondering if the black dragon cable is as good as it can get?

i'm a trusting guy but in the name of having a conversation could anyone confirm this for me? or tell me where else i should be looking?

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 51
There are plenty of options, Drew at Moon Audio has a good reputation.

S2 Audio
APureSound
Stefan AudioArt
ALO

I'm sure there are plenty of others. It depends upon how much you would like to spend. I've had Alex do a great recable job on the HFI-780, the v3 smoothed out the highs and bottom end. I have an Equinox cable from Stefan AudioArt on my Sennheiser and it sounds very nice as well.

Good Luck.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by klb2122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so not much going on here. sorry if this line of questioning is a bore. Maybe my concerns aren't "hot-topic" enough, but, the question remains....

i've been emailing back and forth with drew from moon-audio all day and now i'm wondering if the black dragon cable is as good as it can get?

i'm a trusting guy but in the name of having a conversation could anyone confirm this for me? or tell me where else i should be looking?

I had my AKG K701 re-wired with Black Dragons from Moon Audio some time ago with the split connection to each side right/left. I was pleased with the results which is a richer fuller but still highly detailed sound, sounds more natural and relaxed to me with most music. I am a Sennheiser 650/600 fan so the stock K701 was very detailed but seemed a bit thin and analytical by comparison......the Black Dragon improved this as mentioned above. The Black Dragon is thicker cable than stock but is reasonably flexible and doesn't bother me, I don't move around when listening. The Black Dragon also looks very high quality when installed by Moon Audio, like factory issue.

I have rewired all my Senns headphones as well so I am a believer in cabling:
Senn 600/Cardas
Senn 650/Zu Mobius

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 51
Just recable my KSC35 with 22g Jena
smily_headphones1.gif

The change is rather dramatic
biggrin.gif

Very transparent and soundstage improves very well
tongue.gif

Just for sure that the Jena has transparent, detailed and clearer sound signature. It'd be ideal for darky phones, like HD650
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll recable my other HP with vampire wires to see the difference.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 51
so... i suppose my interest would be, above all else, to keep the transparency and neutrality of the 701. I'm not looking to have anything warmed up or colored in any other way. I'd love it if there would be extended response in the upper and lower regions and if the sound stage can be extended great! Fact is i'm more than happy, ecstatic in fact, with what the 701 already does. if any recable could just help it to do what it already does even more... I'M THERE, so taking that into account... what cable can do that?

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 51
I noticed ALO is now offering 701's with an 18G jena wire. I was thinking of experimenting with recabling another pair of 701's or something else with 18G wire, but am wondering if it's overkill, as it's basically getting into speaker-wire gauge territory.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed ALO is now offering 701's with an 18G jena wire. I was thinking of experimenting with recabling another pair of 701's or something else with 18G wire, but am wondering if it's overkill, as it's basically getting into speaker-wire gauge territory.

The 18g is rather big and thick. Meanwhile the 22g is very soft and flexible.
I doubt if the 18g sounds better than the 22g.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recabling K701s and maintaining the single-sided entry/exit would be tricky. About the only way to do it would be to wrap the conductors around the compression bands. You would have to make a small hole at the top of the plastic covers for the conductors. Not exactly the pretties look IMO but could be done.

Is there a difference between single sided entry vs double sided? Some re-cable technicians say that double sided is superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back