AKG K701 recabling, would u do it?
Mar 10, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #16 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Its not difficult if you have experience with soldering.
I made a tutorial, voodoochili confirmed the 701s assembly is the same.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162673

look over the tutorial, it should ease you worries a bit.

Myo - Thanks for that tutorial! It appears to be much easier than the procedure I imagined would have to be done based on just looking at the exploded diagrams of the 701s. After looking at the diagrams, I envisioned a pile of tiny parts lying around after disassembly and the daunting prospect of putting it all back together neatly. I have no qualms about soldering - I've modded many components and made loads of cables in the last decade.

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #17 of 173
**** yeah I would.
Im considering buying a msp and having it recabled, Im even considering permanately connecting a senn 650 with silver dragon.
Why permanently you ask? Because Drew at Moon-audio said the connecting
parts of the plug in to some headphones had been a serious bottle neck to the cans. I personally have always prefered that particular brand with the senn 650s by a serious margin. With the 701, you have to figure any of the high end cables would most likely provide a substantial upgrade. Same reason Im thinking about doing the MSP. I loved this phone when I had a different amp, I just prefer the circumnaraul(SP???) pad so I got rid of it. C-pads cure this along with better soundstage, and A Black Dragon upgrade would almost surely make the sound more open detailed AND fuller at the same time. The only cable Id be wary of attatching is a zu mobius due to its hairy(YMMV) midrange. When I owned the hd 600s I ended up thinking they were okay, to becoming excellent.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #18 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
Myo - Thanks for that tutorial! It appears to be much easier than the procedure I imagined would have to be done based on just looking at the exploded diagrams of the 701s. After looking at the diagrams, I envisioned a pile of tiny parts lying around after disassembly and the daunting prospect of putting it all back together neatly. I have no qualms about soldering - I've modded many components and made loads of cables in the last decade.

The grill section is the most difficult
make sure to pick up one of these
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../tweezers3.jpg
tweezers3.jpg

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #20 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Will that be a single sided replacement or a seperate right and left channel cable?

Single sided. They aren't going to go about drilling holes in them. However their 'fat pipe' is considerably thinner and more flexible than standard smurf Cardas so weight wise it's not an issue.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #21 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Single sided. They aren't going to go about drilling holes in them. However their 'fat pipe' is considerably thinner and more flexible than standard smurf Cardas so weight wise it's not an issue.

Hmmm, might be worth waiting for.

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #23 of 173
Mine are coming in a few weeks (or so they claim). And yes, I'd recable them.

Or rather, I'd have RnB180 recable them for me, as my soldering skills would turn the earphone into a pile of flux. So, maybe a certain eminent cable-maker might be convinced to adopt a sideline....

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #24 of 173
Sorry, headphone recables are not my forte, there are others im sure that will offer such services, im really running around during the day and soldering during the night, I do not have the time to have headphones mailed to me and mailed back out amidst normal errands and life.. You might want to swing headroom a line and ask them if they would mod your 701s?

btw, I opened up my 501s and these were a snap to recable
biggrin.gif

I was shocked by the ghastly puny wire used in stock, its really itty bitty and they only use one for both ground terminals
confused.gif

this was the easiest headphone mod Ive ever done on my headphones, pop off the lid and the solder points right there in plain sight. it was like in and out
icon10.gif

a501.jpg

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #25 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I'd also love to see if Larry would refinish them to match the 2 colors of the headband, while he had them apart for a recable!

a recable does not need to have the entire headphone taken apart, but to mod the grills, it might very well need to be fully disassembled. THis would be a much more complicated task than what is needed for recable.

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #26 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
a recable does not need to have the entire headphone taken apart, but to mod the grills, it might very well need to be fully disassembled. THis would be a much more complicated task than what is needed for recable.

Ahhh, good to know. I thought i had heard that the 701's needed extensive dissmantling to be recabled. Thanks for the info!

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #27 of 173
Nope, not unless the cable mfg. I use get's the bug to do headphone mods. I know the Cardas sound, not in my opinion a good idea for the 701's. But of course I'm open to listening to anyone who want's to be the guinnea pig for it. Acutually I found adding Telefunken 6922 CCAs to my linestage and using some rare Siemens EL84's did wonders for the sound of the 701's, top end, midrange, low bass impact...impressive. Not to say a cable upgrade might improve things more but in reading the literature on the AKG 701's they went into how they specifically designed that cable to work best with their headphones. So who knows, somebody go try some cables and let me know what happens
580smile.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 173
So, whatever became of this thread and our experimenters?

Has anyone succesfully modded their 701's?

It looks like it would be a lot more diffcicult than certain pairs of Senns, for example, where you can just practically pull it out and plug in the new cables and you're on your way.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #29 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
So, whatever became of this thread and our experimenters?

Has anyone succesfully modded their 701's?

It looks like it would be a lot more diffcicult than certain pairs of Senns, for example, where you can just practically pull it out and plug in the new cables and you're on your way.

Check it out.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #30 of 173
I thought the 701 cable was supposed to be some revolutionary "flat wire technology." In what way are people not happy with the cable, and how would recabling help. Or, is this flat wire tech stuff bogus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back