AKG K701 or DENON D5000?
Apr 9, 2009 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

VALIENTE

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody! Nice being here.

I am planning to buy another set of headphones.

Currently, I am using a GRADO SR 60 with my Sony Portable Discman. Sounds so good. My PA2V2 head amp, my first head amp is coming this month to be paired with the SR60, as most you have recommended.

I have no regrets of buying SR60, that is really an entry way to audiophile world.

Based on what I've read from the Headphone.com, AKG K701 is still one of their best headphones- in fact always in the top ten list. Here in our place it cost estimate $300 only. But I don't have a desktop amp yet, but for sure in the future I will be able to buy. As most of you said, one tip, buy the best headphone first, then the amp will just follow.

But I have read good reviews about Denon D5000. Its not on the top 10 best of headphone.com but it is also one of their favorites in the extreme high end headphone. It costs around $400 here in our place. A $100 difference in the AKG K701. But I've read that D5000 headphones can run well even without headphone amps or just simple amps. So I think that I will be happy with these paired with my Sony discman or better with the PA2V2. But the only problem is it is $100 higher than the all time favorite AKG K701.

This is where my confusion is.

Guys here please give me a practical advice. Take note I want more bang for the money that I will spend.
beerchug.gif

Which should I buy the AKG K701 or the DENON D5000?

Note: I want a headphone that could play almost all kinds of music.
The Grados are perfect for rock but with other types of music, they lost.
L3000.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 21
Are you really going to buy a headphone because it appears on a list? Some people like the K-701 and some don't. How do you know whether you'll like it? There will be disagreement over that in this thread, but I can tell you with certainty that the K-701 is nothing like your SR-60. They have entirely different sound signatures.

Have you considered anything else? I don't think the K-701 is well suited to all kinds of music. It does best with jazz, classical and other acoustic material, but I don't use them for rock. A couple others that are better suited for a wide range of music are the Sennheiser HD-600 and the Beyerdynamic DT880. If you enjoy the forward and bright presentation of the SR-60, the DT880 might be more to your liking than the HD-600. You might also want to think about moving up the Grado ladder or to an Alessandro headphone.

I won't comment on the D5000. I've only heard it briefly and not long enough to give an opinion. But be sure to consider more options - there are a lot of other headphones out there.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 21
To be honest the 2 headphones u chose could not be more different. The bassy D5000 and the extended highs of the K701.

I recommend trying out some of these if you can. If you like the SR 60 try more of the Grado sound. The SR225i will satisfy, as will the SR 325i.

If you want to try an all rounder the HD 600 should do the trick but it needs amping.

How about Audio Technica? The A900 should also be worth a look at. Its a marvellous can without an amp.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

The bassy D5000 and the extended highs of the K701.

What makes you think that d5000 highs are less extended? I bet it's the fact d500 has more bass...

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 21
I have to agree with Uncle Erik's opinion here; you would be better off trying more headphones at this point rather than choosing one from the two candidates without being adequately informed.

If I really had to choose, D5000 would be my choice since it's easier to drive and can be modded for further improvement. K701 could be a pain in the ass to drive properly; and it is entirely possible that you would end up spending more to get satisfactory performance out of it.

For the record, I am a Grado guy and AKG's house sound is not my cup of tea.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you think that d5000 highs are less extended? I bet it's the fact d500 has more bass...

Allow me to rephrase. I was referring to the emphasis on a particular part of the sonic spectrum. The K 701 over-emphasizes highs, the D5000 over-emphasizes bass. Let the flames begin
evil_smiley.gif

^^If you're going to be spending 600$ on a D5000, why don't you just get the RS-1i. I bet you'll never regret buying those.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

The K 701 over-emphasizes highs, the D5000 over-emphasizes bass. Let the flames begin

It more like k701 are flat across the spectrum and rolled-off bass and d5000 have something close to "U" freq. curve...
Quote:

If you're going to be spending 600$ on a D5000, why don't you just get the RS-1i. I bet you'll never regret buying those.

Agreed.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you really going to buy a headphone because it appears on a list? Some people like the K-701 and some don't. How do you know whether you'll like it? There will be disagreement over that in this thread, but I can tell you with certainty that the K-701 is nothing like your SR-60. They have entirely different sound signatures.

Have you considered anything else? I don't think the K-701 is well suited to all kinds of music. It does best with jazz, classical and other acoustic material, but I don't use them for rock. A couple others that are better suited for a wide range of music are the Sennheiser HD-600 and the Beyerdynamic DT880. If you enjoy the forward and bright presentation of the SR-60, the DT880 might be more to your liking than the HD-600. You might also want to think about moving up the Grado ladder or to an Alessandro headphone.

I won't comment on the D5000. I've only heard it briefly and not long enough to give an opinion. But be sure to consider more options - there are a lot of other headphones out there.

Agreed. Seems to me the OP just chose two headphones because he though it would be cool.

Do the research then figure out which headphones would suit your needs.

Also think using polls to determine which headphones you will be buying a little sad. Finding headphones well suited to your ears should not be a popularity contest.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 21
I think people tend to be way too anal about headphone purchases. You can buy either or both phones used and sell what you don't like at very little loss.
That way you also get to try them both yourself for as long as you like. That makes a lot more sense to me than "researching" - which I assume means reading the mostly uninformed opinions in these forums.
I always remind myself that if I went with the consensus here I wouldn't have bought the k701s - which I love.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 21
Sounds like you've done some homework. Don't let people tell you you are interested in headphones for the wrong reasons. These are both popular and well loved phones, and we rarely have the opportunity to listen before we buy. And even if we do, it's often for only a few minutes in a store. You really need a couple of weeks to get to know a headphone in-and-out in my opinion. Research is key to making an informed buying decision in this hobby.

This is a tough call. Even though the K701 is the "red-headed step child" of Head-Fi, it remains a favorite of many (and the favorite whipping-boy of others
wink_face.gif
).

Both have strengths. The K701, to me, is fantastic with acoustic and vocal music. It really gives the illusion of space and I find it to be very easy to listen to for long stretches (non-fatiguing). I disagree with opinions that the K701 only sounds good with certain amplification. I do think that tube amps give a warmth that is welcome on these headphones.

The D5000 is more expensive but will probably make a better "do-it-all" headphone, but at the expense of less balanced reproduction and soundstage. Keep in mind, I'm only speaking of the D5000 from reading what others have written, and not from personal experience.

For me, how a headphone handles treble is more important than how it handles bass. I love bright, yet smooth and non-fatiguing highs. Honestly, I recommend buying both, and listening to both with different music. You don't have to buy them at the same time. It may take some time, but in the end you'd have two great phones for whatever you happen to be in the mood for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back