AKG K701 or DENON D5000?
Apr 10, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #16 of 21
Do an advanced search for members in the Philippines and look at their gear. You might find there are some of each in the Islands already. If there are enough of you, you could float an interest check for a meet.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #17 of 21
I have both the D5000 and the K701. Both are great sounding cans which bring a big smile to my face. I second you attend a meeting and listen to both to decide, I will say that IMO the D5000 sound better out of an SS amp and the K701 sound better out of tube amp.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #18 of 21
imho, the denons really requires an amp to shine. they sound grey and thin without one. this is from my experience ofcourse. tried to use them with my d2 and ipod,in both cases they dont come close to half of they real power.

powered with my ultra micro stack they just FANTASTIC!

my friendly advice would be: dont purchase them if you dont gonna amp them! but you can try to listen them for yourself straight from your portable.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@VALIENTE - where is this available locally?
smily_headphones1.gif

yes, manila
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #20 of 21
The thing is that it is not possible to research your way to the perfect set of headphones. You can spend the rest of your life reading this forum and not get there.

There are also a lot of great headphones out there and most of the well known models discussed here on Head-Fi have something to recommend them. I have owned several sets of phones and can only recall one of them (Beyer DT-880) that I really didn't care for even though I could find a few positive things to say about them. While some headphones may be better suited to certain kinds of music (I agree that the AKG K701 is great for jazz but less so for rock), the only person who can determine whether or not a specific headphone works for the kind of music you listen to is you. You might want to start by thinking about what your Grados do not do as well as you might like. If you could improve one or two things in the sound of your Grados what would they be? If you can answer that it should lead you to a fair estimate of what headphones you should consider to compliment your Grados.

As has been suggested, there is no substitute for an audition. But I understand that an audition -- depending on your location and time frame -- is not always possible.

--Jerome

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #21 of 21
I have not auditioned the K701s, but I own the D5000s and currently use them with a PA2V2 myself. IMO they sound awesome! I personally prefer the stronger bass that the D5000s provide since I mostly listen to trance and house. The PA2V2 provides more than enough volume for these cans. Of course there are much better amps out there, but for $60, the PA2V2 is a monster when paired up with the D5000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back