May 24, 2007 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
original

37_1_sbol.JPG

new style

bd13_1_sbol.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-Acoustics-K7...QQcmdZViewItem

The newer one looks pretty cool. I wonder what prompted the change.

May 24, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 27
Could that be the packaging for outside America?

May 24, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 27
The seller says that the K701 now comes supplied with two styles of retail packaging. The newer style is the 'all black' and the original style is the 'white & black'. Presently AKG are still distributing both styles.

The seller is from the UK, so maybe that has something to do with it.

May 24, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The seller says that the K701 now comes supplied with two styles of retail packaging. The newer style is the 'all black' and the original style is the 'white & black'. Presently AKG are still distributing both styles.

The seller is from the UK, so maybe that has something to do with it.

That's why I thought it could be an ourside US thing.

May 25, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 27
Call me crazy (just kidding) but the box my 701s came in was in the trash after about 2 weeks......

If you want to talk about changes in the phones I'd like to hear about that.

May 25, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 27
Is it my imagination or the headband cushion for the new is different? A response to those complaining about the pain (on the crown) that the original cushion design caused? If my guess is right, this would be one of the reasons for the change in boxes -- to differentiate between the two.

May 25, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 27
(how many people remember that joke?)

I concur on both counts expressed by users above. #1: The old box is much classier looking, befitting of a flagship headphone. The new design looks too much like an iPod accessory, which brings me to #2: The 701 itself is still silly looking to my eyes. I wish AKG would offer it in a color scheme that was less iPlastic and "hip."
blink.gif

Yes, I know it's difficult to see what headphones look like when one is wearing them, but one of the reasons I opted for HD-650s over HD-600 was the hideous marble pattern of the 600s (and no, I'm not prone to narcissus-like mirror-gazing while wearing my 650s.)
600smile.gif

May 25, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 27
I actually like the original packaging better, but you know what, I'd take the K701's in either one. No question.

May 25, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 27
I especially loved the Ebay listing claiming that everybody else is selling the old model and charging extra $15 over next guy. Quite a few people bought into it.
rolleyes.gif

Asr, I am with you. I wish they would make a black version for the rest of us [not smitten by Apple].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back