AKG K701 listening fatigue trouble
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #31 of 36
Order some K702 Anniversary pads. They'll cost like $70, but it will give the K701 a warmer, smoother, and more balanced sound signature, with bass previously never heard on any of the models. The K702 Anniversary (or the pads on the older models) is the fix people like you have wanted for years.

Is there a physical difference compared to the regular K702 pads?

Hungarian composer György Ligeti has a piece called 100 Metronomes. When you listen to this you will get what the title suggests, 100 metronomes. The metronomes are in a neat rectangle in the middle of the room. I am a big fan of György Ligeti and when I listen to 100 Metronomes without cross-feed it sounds like there are 60 metronomes in the middle of the room and 20 metronomes placed on each side of the listener. With cross-feed it does sound like 100 metronomes in the middle of the room. So, which is more accurate, the version with cross-feed or the one without?

The Ligeti piece is great entertainment, and ideal for sound stage testing. Which recording do you reommend?

May 1, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #32 of 36
Yes, they are more dense, memory foam. Having both pads, it will be quite obvious which is which if you touch them. Also, the memory foam is pads aren't angled, unlike the standard pads.

May 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:
Yes, they are more dense, memory foam. Having both pads, it will be quite obvious which is which if you touch them. Also, the memory foam is pads aren't angled, unlike the standard pads.

Where did you buy memory foam pads from?
My old 701 pads have seen their day and its time for an upgrade.

thanks!!

May 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

I haven't tried the Fidelia software, however personally I think the $50 for their FHX is probably quite reasonable. I do think there are free software cross-feeds for the Mac, by you would need to search for them here.

I think the Fidelia software probably has a trial, so you might be able to just try it out.

For people who want to try crossfeed before they buy, it would be easy to write a little script that converts a track to a .wav file and applies crossfeed not realtime before saving it.  Maybe it could have a feature where it flips crossfeed on and off every 5 seconds so users can compare the before and after sound.  I tried to find an open source crossfeed tool for Windows, but didn't see anything.  It might be difficult to implement real time because it would have to act like a sound card.  If it were easy to patch into a sound card, I'd write a tool to record streaming audio.

May 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #35 of 36
I would be very careful about volume on the K701. Human ears are simply very sensitive to treble. The treble range has a very low ceiling to be intolerable. 80db of bass sounds very nice to my ears, while 80db of treble is enough to have me roll around in pain. 

People always bash the certain headphones because the bass is bloated. But it actually makes a lot of sense to have elevated bass, simply due to the nature of human hearing. K701 is very balanced when the volume is low. You turn up the volume, treble will be the first thing that cause ear-bleed.

My advice is, if you like to turn up the volume, EQ the treble. I would turn down everything above 3khz.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #36 of 36
Thread revival...

Anyone figure out where to buy the K702 Anniversary Edition Earpads? I'm looking to upgrade my worn out K701 pads as well.

Thanks!

Edit: Got through to their parts department. The Anny pads are currently $29/ea + shipping, while the stock K701 pads are about half that. Call (818) 920-3279 and ask for Frank if you want to skip navigating through the recorded messages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back