AKG K701 - Let's make the bass stronger
Dec 28, 2007 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 134

SergioRZ

New Head-Fier
Hi all again
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm using my AKG K701 with my Linn Ikemi CD player and Heed Canamp amplifier.

Pretty good, very clean sound, wide soundstage... these phones are really extremely comfortable, phisically and sonically.

Like so many others... I feel the bass response of the 701's could be a little stronger... with more impact.

How can this be achieved? Any recommended sources, amps, or cables that really push the lower end of the sound on the 701's?

Any mods (DIY stuff) that effectively add bass response to the 701's?

Anyone ever did sucessfuly make them better in the bass department?

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 134
Not gonna happen I believe, unless some major EQing is used. Your Heed should be amp with quite full bass already, so...
AKG K701 is known for its tight, but faint bass region. Thats why I sold mine, they werent for me.

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 134
What about those cheaper amps with a "bass boost" button? I've seen a few that increase output around the 100hz area by 6 or 8 db...

Not very audiophile... but could it be effective? Anyone tried one of those?

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 134
Bass boost buttons are only toggleable equalizers that adjust specific frequencies, mostly midbass. A real EQ gives you full control of different frequencies, allowing you to boost or reduce whatever you want. Just dont go overboard, it introduced a lot of distortion which makes soundquality worse, and such revealing headphone like K701 notices them easily.

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 134
"Mostly midbass" is incorrect. It's almost twice as hard to boost just the midbass than it is to boost frequencies above or below a given frequency.

For nearly any simple bass-boost circuit, the boost is higher for frequencies that are lower.

If it's just a crap amp with poor large transient response, the bass boost could be ineffective at making a bassless amp produce bass - but that's not the fault of the bass-boost.

Edit: Oh, and about distortion, only if it drives the amp into clipping. See above wrt "crap amp".

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K701 is known for its tight, but faint bass region. Thats why I sold mine, they werent for me.

Exactly why I sold mine as well.

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 134
Recable might help a bit.
And some said Jena Cryo cable increase bass extension in certain case.
Go ahead, and try it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Mostly midbass" is incorrect. It's almost twice as hard to boost just the midbass than it is to boost frequencies above or below a given frequency.

For nearly any simple bass-boost circuit, the boost is higher for frequencies that are lower.

If it's just a crap amp with poor large transient response, the bass boost could be ineffective at making a bassless amp produce bass - but that's not the fault of the bass-boost.

Edit: Oh, and about distortion, only if it drives the amp into clipping. See above wrt "crap amp".

Probaply. My only experience from "bass boosts" have been from several portable CD players. They sort of boosted mid and upperbass, creating ugly "humm humm" bass. And since he mentioned cheap amps, well... Havent even bothered to check better ones, I prefer real EQ anyway.

About distortion, thats why I said keep it moderate, and also cutting, not boosting is recommended. And when I said distortion, I didnt mean distortion in clipping sence, but some kind of harmonic distortion or something that makes sound worse. I have always noticed this when I go overboard with EQs. Thats why I rarely use EQ.

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 134
i'm in the same boat, but i'm not running a bassy amp like the Heed. it probably doesn't help that my 701 needs a lot of break in...everything seems to be diminishing except soundstage, airiness, and imaging. The super bright highs (i liked it and hated it simultaneously) from when it was new is gone and i kind of feel some clarity and liveliness went with it. The highs are now darker than my 650's but retain a little bit more clarity (not for long). These things sound more lifeless & boring than my 650's and it's getting worst.

The lack of midbass bugs me a lot and I have urges to rid this 701, yet i feel it might have potential. If i can get any sort of bass out of it, that would make it such an awesome headphone. When it's playing certain techno or rock, this headphone just sounds horrible.

I hate to see such a headphone with great attributes go to waste. Maybe im really looking at the wrong headphone...the RS1 may have exciting highs/mids and a decent amount of bass?

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 134
I prefer my K701 bass after a serious amoung of burn-in. It's a bit more deep which is very good. I like the K701 bass the way it is. Of course that i also have a RS-1 with flat pads around, but if i didn't, i don't know if i'd stay with the K701 only.
But let it burn-in ...

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by SergioRZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the bass response of the 701's could be a little stronger... with more impact.

How can this be achieved? Any recommended sources, amps, or cables that really push the lower end of the sound on the 701's?

While I am generally satisfied with the K701's bass balance, I find the "Virtual Subwoofer" function in my J.River Media Center (or it's free little brother J.River Media Jukebox) works extremely well for accomplishing exactly what you seek.

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probaply. My only experience from "bass boosts" have been from several portable CD players. They sort of boosted mid and upperbass, creating ugly "humm humm" bass. And since he mentioned cheap amps, well... Havent even bothered to check better ones, I prefer real EQ anyway.

Cheap portable gear often has capacitor-coupled output with woefully undersized output caps - this will severely attenuate bass.

Quote:

About distortion, thats why I said keep it moderate, and also cutting, not boosting is recommended.

I disagree. Whether you boost the bass and leave the volume knob where it is, or lower the midrange and treble and turn the volume up, results in the exact same potential for clipping.

Unless the EQ is in the source and the volume knob you're turning is on an amp with more voltage swing than the source. But even then, you could just turn down the main volume of the source for the same effect.

Quote:

And when I said distortion, I didnt mean distortion in clipping sence, but some kind of harmonic distortion or something that makes sound worse. I have always noticed this when I go overboard with EQs. Thats why I rarely use EQ.

You mean phase distortion.

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 134
The RAL re-cable improved the K701 response across the board. A/B-ing the K701 w/the HD650 made the HD650 sound bass-prominent/bloaty. Also, details from the HD650 sound "small," not rendered/opened up like they do w/the K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back