AKG K701 leather headband?
Apr 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I am just wondering if the headband on these headphones are real leather, because I try not to buy leather products. I'm crossing my fingers because of all things this would be a #$%#ING dumb reason not to by a pair of headphones. Besides that I am pretty set on this pair of headphones. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 6
they are not real leather

at least not on the K701.its a foamy pleather thingy. 

looks like leather, but it isn't especially since its foamy and feels weird, doesn't smell like leather either.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 6
My Q701 smells like real leather. Although I'm very curious as to how they managed to make those cushioned bumps in real leather. 
blink.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Hey, I am just wondering if the headband on these headphones are real leather, because I try not to buy leather products. I'm crossing my fingers because of all things this would be a #$%#ING dumb reason not to by a pair of headphones. Besides that I am pretty set on this pair of headphones. 

As far as I know, it's genuine leather, but I could be wrong.  I believe it's a piece of leather (or two cuts) folded over and stitched together with the nubbed padding beneath it.  I imagine it's just embossed in the leather.  It could be the top is real leather and the bottom with the nubs is not. 

I personally am always pleased to see genuine leather products because leather is a highly durable, maintainable material that lasts a very long time if treated right. I can appreciate the whole "not wanting to participate in animal slaughter" thing, assuming it's not religiously based which is a different thing all together, but leather, in the case of cattle, the meat is the primary cause of it and the leather is a bi-product that would otherwise be wasted and discarded.  Also, animals do naturally die, the leather would still be available as a result, the meat would be spoiled.

At the risk of getting semi-off-topic and going into philosophies, as someone who really likes cows and dairy agriculture, any time I interact with cows I always feel guilty for eating beef, using leather, etc.  But then I remember, if people didn't eat beef and use leather, no one would raise cattle, and if no one raised cattle, even released into the wild, cattle would likely become quickly extinct.  Just food for thought (pun not intended) as you consider whether you want those nice, neutral, evenly responding headphones...
evil_smiley.gif

(I'm not excusing the mega-farm/mega-stockyards....that's different, and unhealthy both for animals AND humans.  It breeds disease like crazy, and every tainted meat scare comes out of one of those things, not to mention the "lagoon" fiasco in the Hudson years ago.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back