AKG K701 cable modification?
Apr 5, 2009 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

John D.

500+ Head-Fier
I was considering a recable for my K701's, since the K702 has come out with the miniXLR connector for it's cable. I was wondering if it's feasible to modify the K701 with the miniXLR and and recable accordingly?

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 12
It is, won't be pretty, but it'll be possible with a small-sized xlr jack like any other headphone. But, why not just recable them instead of going through the trouble?

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is, won't be pretty, but it'll be possible with a small-sized xlr jack like any other headphone. But, why not just recable them instead of going through the trouble?

I was just thinking if the K702 is designed this way now, why not the K701. It would be much easier to recable, or use different cables like my HD650's.
As it is now if you recable the K701 your kind of comitted. If it's a bad idea I will just do the standard recable. I just wanted to get some feedback on this.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 12
I *think* unless you can find a really small jack, you'll have to drill into the side grill.
Anyone that actually has K701s, chime in. I'm using my K271s as reference, which isn't accurate. It'll take more work than just recabling, but from what I understand, you want to change cables frequently, so you'd need a detatchable cable.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 12
it'd mostly let you do ABX easily...coz your brain is your enemy here "OMG the new cable is so much better, I'm seriously screwin rich"
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering a recable for my K701's, since the K702 has come out with the miniXLR connector for it's cable. I was wondering if it's feasible to modify the K701 with the miniXLR and and recable accordingly?

If it's gonna go through the cutting, might as well clean it up and have dual entry. Otherwise I'd switch to K702.

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 12
tubaman, I agree, for the op, get a K702 if the goal is a lot of quick switching

instead of fighting the port onto your K701 (taking them apart isn't exactly painless, and it will void your warranty (and if you were to break something, well)), the K702 comes with the port preinstalled, and afaik AKG could care less if you switch cables on it (as long as you aren't being "negligent" or something that directly causes it to be broken, they'd likely still cover you under warranty)

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 12
OK, this idea seems to be more trouble than it's worth.
Either I get a dual entry hardwire recable or opt for the K702.

Thanks
k701smile.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, this idea seems to be more trouble than it's worth.
Either I get a dual entry hardwire recable or opt for the K702.

Thanks
k701smile.gif

yeah, and the dual entry recable means you're proprietary again, so you'd have to custom terminate your cables
wink.gif

I'd go K702 or just pick the recab you want (I realize, thats kind of touchy, at ~$300-$400/shot finding "what you want" is kind of expensive if you don't guess right the first time)

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not go dual entry? If you are going to go through the trouble of recabling to get better SQ it might be worth it to bypass the headband and connect wires directly to the drivers.

because his goal was to be able to swap cables out quickly, like the K702 allows, dual entry will be a fairly proprietary solution, like dual mini-XLRs or something, and premade cables don't come terminated like that (theres probably one or two for Qualia, and thats about it), vs the plethora of stuff available for the K702

that, and this assumes one could cleanly wire dual entry a la Qualia into the K701, which is a lot of hastle for very few options

from a pure quality/etc perspective, yeah, if you're hardwiring, rip that thing open and go dual entry
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back