AKG K701, bulb or solid state, built or buy?
Nov 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

33Nick

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this is a beater of a question but I'm lost here.  I've searched on previous forums and see a lot of choice out there.

I have an iMac digital out to a Sony STR-DE475 receiver/amp.  My audio tweaking on it is very limited on it and I'm thinking about putting an Onkyo EQ-140 equalizer on it I have on another system.  My other system, not linked to the iMac or networked is an older Onkyo system preamp and amp/receiver stereo out, no digital in.  It's an Onkyo pre-amp M-5150, and Amp/receiver P-3160 with various things hooked into it.

So my questions are twofold.  I want to bring more out of my AKG K701.  The choice is buy or build a dedicated amp, tubes or solid state.

I listen mostly to Ambient music and older progressive rock (Pink Floyd and all that deeper sound stuff), and a lot of early eighties stuff (not a lot of sound depth there).  It seems tube amps are warmer but from what I listen to a solid state amp would be better for the AKGs, according to what I've been reading here.  Any other input?

Lastly, build or buy. I'm considering $100 to 300 into a dedicated desktop amp.  Building might be cheaper and so far I like the idea better.  I'm considering a combo ODAC-O2, although I'm not sure if I really need a DAC.  Still confused about that last part.

Hope this doesn't sounds too confusing.  What would you recommend?  Used is fine also.

iMac
Sony receiver/amp STR-DE475
Onkyo pre-amp M-5150
Amp/receiver P-3160

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 3
I've no idea how the ODAC sounds as I've not tried it but from my previous experience with O2 amp, it may be a bit short for driving K701 to its full potential. And IMO, a DAC is really essential if you want to get the best out of the K701. If you want to look into solid state amp/dac combo, Audio-GD has several good value offerings. My old Compass Amp/Dac makes K701 sounds great with Pink Floyd, I'd imagine the new Compass 2 could easily surpass it in driving the K701. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Sorry if this is a beater of a question but I'm lost here.  I've searched on previous forums and see a lot of choice out there.
I have an iMac digital out to a Sony STR-DE475 receiver/amp.  My audio tweaking on it is very limited on it and I'm thinking about putting an Onkyo EQ-140 equalizer on it I have on another system.  My other system, not linked to the iMac or networked is an older Onkyo system preamp and amp/receiver stereo out, no digital in.  It's an Onkyo pre-amp M-5150, and Amp/receiver P-3160 with various things hooked into it.
So my questions are twofold.  I want to bring more out of my AKG K701.  The choice is buy or build a dedicated amp, tubes or solid state.
I listen mostly to Ambient music and older progressive rock (Pink Floyd and all that deeper sound stuff), and a lot of early eighties stuff (not a lot of sound depth there).  It seems tube amps are warmer but from what I listen to a solid state amp would be better for the AKGs, according to what I've been reading here.  Any other input?
Lastly, build or buy. I'm considering $100 to 300 into a dedicated desktop amp.  Building might be cheaper and so far I like the idea better.  I'm considering a combo ODAC-O2, although I'm not sure if I really need a DAC.  Still confused about that last part.
Hope this doesn't sounds too confusing.  What would you recommend?  Used is fine also.
iMac
Sony receiver/amp STR-DE475
Onkyo pre-amp M-5150
Amp/receiver P-3160

Personally, I would think the Sony would decently drive the K701 power wise.
First try adding an external DAC between the iMac and the Sony, I would guess the Sony comes with a barely decent DAC, not great a DAC.
(DAC - Digital to Analog Converter).

Something like the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC, $52 on eBay, connect it between the iMac's USB digital output and the Sony's RCA analog inputs.
You could always get an external headphone amplifier later on, if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back