AKG K701 and tube amplifier Yarland P100 (2008 edition) opinions
Feb 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Adu

500+ Head-Fier
Please, I need some advices; is there a good synergy between K701 and this tube amplifier Yarland P100? Yarland have enough power to drive K701?

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for reply Fairbanks. Between DT990 and K701, which is better for P100?

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 18
I see you already own the DT990 and I've never heard them.As for the K701 I thought they were good headphones maybe a little artifical sounding but a bargain at there price point.I've since moved on to the Grado sound with the GS1000 and PS1000.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 18
Someone else have try K701 with P100??
confused_face.gif
Please, I don't want to make a bad choice; I need your advice.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 18
Hello my dear friend, if you want an musical headphone, K701 is no way such a headphone, for me it was a little boring, bright and artificial sounding. Yes, it has superb soundstaging and great details, but apart from that it is pretty clinical/uninvolving headphone, if you want just to enjoy music you should try HD650 (i'm coming from DT880/990 too)
wink.gif

PS: how do you find Dt990 highs and sibilance?? I sold mine only because of that...
Cheers mate

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks DarKu for your reply
beerchug.gif
.I enjoy my DT990 only that I wish to have the 600Ohm version; now, I have an offer to change my DT990 with K701. The problem is that: the K701 are in Bucharest and I'm in Brasov
frown.gif

Cheers!

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 18
i enjoy my k4/5/601 with very early version p100 a lot. i read skylab like dt990 p100 combo but i personally don't like my dt990 pro or dt990/600 with p100.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 18
As I remember there is an official distributor for Yarland in Romania.
Trying for yourself is better than anything. It can also save you from trouble later!
wink.gif

I've been listening to my K701 since they were out and love them very much, but at the same time they tend to develop a love/hate kind of relationship.

K701 can sound great if matched properly, not just to sources & amps but also to one's ears and taste.
Many people follow the reviews and trends blindingly and end up disappointed.

AKG K701 is the kind of headphone that requires true honesty from it's owner

Pair it with amps/dac's that you've only read about and you're in for disillusion.
Pair it with something you listened, liked and that has true synergy with them and these babies can really SING!

My relationship with K701 has taken me through a good number of sources and amplifiers (both SS and tubes) and eventually finished with Heed Canamp and a NOS DAC (both modified)

To my ears this system has true synergy and presents music the way I love to hear it.
Your mileage will certainly vary and I strongly suggested you give them a proper listen and then think hard and well before jumping in the K701 camp

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 18
nice opinion audiofil...thanks
wink_face.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I remember there is an official distributor for Yarland in Romania.
Trying for yourself is better than anything. It can also save you from trouble later!
wink.gif

I've been listening to my K701 since they were out and love them very much, but at the same time they tend to develop a love/hate kind of relationship.

K701 can sound great if matched properly, not just to sources & amps but also to one's ears and taste.
Many people follow the reviews and trends blindingly and end up disappointed.

AKG K701 is the kind of headphone that requires true honesty from it's owner

Pair it with amps/dac's that you've only read about and you're in for disillusion.
Pair it with something you listened, liked and that has true synergy with them and these babies can really SING!

My relationship with K701 has taken me through a good number of sources and amplifiers (both SS and tubes) and eventually finished with Heed Canamp and a NOS DAC (both modified)

To my ears this system has true synergy and presents music the way I love to hear it.
Your mileage will certainly vary and I strongly suggested you give them a proper listen and then think hard and well before jumping in the K701 camp

Well written review. I agree wholeheartedly.

Adu - you might want to also consider the Millet MiniMax to amp the 701s.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 18
Very well said audiofil, Adu maybe you can listen to it for one week for example, ask the vendor if he can help you with this, changing your only and beloved headphone with another, without hearing once can be dangerous.
In my own experience DT990 and K701 share about the same sound signature, DT990 having better bass extension, and k701 having better midrange and a little better soundstaging, pick your poison
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 18
My choice is K701, GREAT headphones...transparence sound, great on voices and highs, huge soundstage all these better than DT990 (250 Ohmi version)...not so "great" on bass extension than DT990 (250 Ohmi version) but the bass is there, it's a little bit light, for my taste.
k701smile.gif
I'm satisfied with K701.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 18
I must say that I'm very impressed by the sound signature of the K701 with P100
k701smile.gif
; it works fine with the source (Pioneer PD-D6-J)...I have try another source, Philips DVD 963SA with upsampler 24/192 but the sound was to bright and the bass was not so well controled like PD-D6.
This set-up it's GREAT with female voices, guitar, jazz and classical music. I had use ONLY CD-DA and SACD to do this tests.
The 32 Ohmi output of the Yarland it deliver 1W in class A so I think that the Yarland have enough power to drive K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back