AKG K701´s & MOTU Ultralite MK1 - Mixing
Apr 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nick Shepherd

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys - first post in this really cool community ! :)

I tried using the search first of all, but really couldnt find anything useful regarding my kinda specific question.

I produce mostly electronic music in my home studio here in berlin. Since my 5" monitors dont really offer a lot of low-end and my untreated room is a pain to work in, i recently bought AKG K701´s for reference and mixing purposes.

I dont have a dedicated amp for the AKG´s and connect them directly to the headphone out of my MOTU Ultralite MK1 - they sound good, but compared to my dj headphones Sennheiser HD-25 the volume is much quiter of course, but they sound good in my opinion (and i am still breaking them in)

My question - does anyone use or used this setup and would you recommend getting a dedicated amp for the AKG´s or would it be more ideal to hook them up directly to the audio-interface when mixing audio ?

I had a look around and read about different amp´s but i am not to sure if this is just something audiophiles would recommend or if this is also applicable when mixing & for reference purposes ?

thanks in advance
best
Nick

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hey Guys - first post in this really cool community ! :)

I tried using the search first of all, but really couldnt find anything useful regarding my kinda specific question.

I produce mostly electronic music in my home studio here in berlin. Since my 5" monitors dont really offer a lot of low-end and my untreated room is a pain to work in, i recently bought AKG K701´s for reference and mixing purposes.

I dont have a dedicated amp for the AKG´s and connect them directly to the headphone out of my MOTU Ultralite MK1 - they sound good, but compared to my dj headphones Sennheiser HD-25 the volume is much quiter of course, but they sound good in my opinion (and i am still breaking them in)

My question - does anyone use or used this setup and would you recommend getting a dedicated amp for the AKG´s or would it be more ideal to hook them up directly to the audio-interface when mixing audio ?

I had a look around and read about different amp´s but i am not to sure if this is just something audiophiles would recommend or if this is also applicable when mixing & for reference purposes ?

thanks in advance
best
Nick

The objective O2 AMP. 

The K701/K702/Q701s NEED an amp. It is just a basic requirement for those headphones IMO. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks for the sugestion - i did look at the O2 allready.

why do yo recommend this particular amp ? i mean, i know a lot of people love it - but is it the way to go for mixing/reference or just because you know it works good with the 701´s ?

I just read a review of the "Zero" - which is kinda in the same price category, but the O2 seems to be a more pouplar choice around here if i am not mistaken.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 4
I mix and mastering with the K702 since 2008, and I didn't found any replacement yet. Most of the sound cards are not enough to drive well the 702s, some are better then others but you cant compare them to desktop SS hps amp. I dont have any experience with the O2, or the Zero. The Meier, and the Lake People are a good combo with the K70X, the top for studio use are the SPLs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back