~AKG K618DJ~ Discussion & Review Thread
Apr 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #166 of 174
cld someone please post pictures of earcup dimensions & depth so I can see if these would fit me? thanks! :)

also, the cord is nonremovable right?

May 23, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #167 of 174
Just received these headphones by mail. I'm very happy as an ex-K518 owner. My impressions:

[size=small]
  1. The bass quantity is less than the K518, the bass quality is higher though. It's still a bass monster, but on bass-lighter tracks there is no unexpected rumble anymore. When the track calls for it you will still be shaking in your seat.
  2. Highs are less sibilant, it's a tad darker than the K518. This makes it really really really awesome for DnB and dubstep, very very good for other electronic genres (techno, disco, trip-hop), below average for pop and rock and seriously awful for folk and classical.
  3. The clamping force is way less than the K518. Also the pads are a lot softer. Together, this makes it a headphone that still clamps harder than most, but I think I could wear it for 2 hours easily. Still isolates very good.
  4. The cable is very good. Thick and not too "rubbery", so unlikely to tangle very much. Single sided cable, so it will not get caught on your chin. Also, the cable is ~100cm, with the possibility to attach another ~50cm extension cable. This is a very good solution.
  5. The iPhone remote is not really good. It's hard to feel where the buttons are, and the buttons have a sub-average feel when you're pressing them. So a lot of miss-pressing. But good enough to quickly pause your music.
  6. The pouch is great. It's made of a sort of padded nylon. So no cloth (which attracts dust, crumbs etc. in your bag). When you fold the headphones flat, it fits in the bag. With the K518 this wasn't the case, you had to fold it in a ridiculous way. I'm not afraid to store this in my bag all day.

[/size] [size=small] All in all a great upgrade. I think this is the best closed portable around $100. Better than the Sennheiser PX200-II, better than the Bose OE2. Worse than the V-Moda M80, but that is twice as expensive. Better than the Bowers & Wilkins P3 which is also twice as expensive. Maybe I missed some portables I'm not aware of :) How does it compare to the Aiaiai TMA-1 DJ?[/size]

May 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #168 of 174
I bought these in January and I love the sound, I have used them as headphones when i DJ a couple of times and they keep up! (I'm used to Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and these are almost as good imo!).

BUT! I have broken them in the exact same place three times, right in the joint (sorry for my maybe bad English?) where they are extended. The first time I thought I was just not careful enough, but sense I bought them at the store where I work I was able to get a new pair with ease. But this happened two more times and I have been extremely careful with them! All of them have snapped in the same place (maybe I can take a pic tomorrow). I love everything about them, so it's really annoying that they break so easily. Now I'm gonna get my money back and get some other ones.

Maybe someone here can recommend something similar? I need cans that can be used when I DJ and as normal headphones for my phone. The Sennheiser HD25-1 II is a strong candidate, but they are not so good looking, I would like something a bit more flashy for when I DJ :)

//Tobias

May 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #170 of 174
Quote:

I would say these are better than the TMA-1 DJ, but I think the TMA-1 has better durability with a flexible headband.  I flipped through reviews of the K618 recently and many people have broken thiers quickly.

As for sound quality, I heard an slight unnatural reverb with the TMA-1 on first listen and it has a much more noticable dark sound signature.  The voice is skewed and that bothered me after a while.

May 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #171 of 174
Thanks for the reply :) The part of the headband where you can adjust the length does look like a weak spot of the K618/K619. On the other hand I have never broken a pair of headphones before, not even a cable, so I think I'm good with these too :wink:

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #173 of 174
THE WORST HEADPHONES EVER, DO NOT BUY 
AKG has dissapointed me this is my third pair and they broke the same way as the others pairs and on top of that if you're not in the us the warranty is only 3 months and they wont  replace them anyway I said third pair because I originally bought three and all of them broke the same way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back