~AKG K618DJ~ Discussion & Review Thread
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #47 of 174
Mine have yet to be shipped :< The "available shipping information" date just keeps going up everyday. I was starting to think they aren't out yet...

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #48 of 174
Wow these look like a nice pair of cans.  I am excited to read a full review on them, maybe also in comparison to the k550s.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #50 of 174
Might you be able to elaborate on the qualities that contribute to this? Say, is the headphone mostly metal in construction? Or, is it high grade plastic? Etc...
I would like to finish putting information on physical qualities into the OP. (also, PICs?)

I had figured this, but does the K618 have similar construction to that of the K550 (or other higher priced cans)?

Structurally, they are plastic. They do have metal accents though. The plastic does appear to be a decent grade as well. It seems as though they were made to look a little bit like the K550's, but that is just speculation. Also, I don't believe they are generally available at this point, so do not worry that you are unable to get them just yet. I will try to post a few pics tomorrow.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #52 of 174

The rings on the Ear cups are metal.  This part makes it look like they took design cues from the K550.

While the slide itself is plastic, it does have metal inserts.  They are the same "style" as the K550, just not all metal.  

Maybe it's just me, but I love the look of the "R" & "L" they have been using.  I think they could go a little more "in your face" with it though!

Just a pic of the inside of the headband.  Not a ton of padding, but didn't notice any discomfort while listening for a couple hours the other day.  It should be noted that the clamping force did create some discomfort.  

Let me know if I didn't grab an image you wanted!

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #53 of 174
Hi Speakerphile, nice shot
wink.gif
, in your opinion is a "basshead" headphone?

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #58 of 174
Quote:
I agree! This headphone looks even sharper in real life.

When you say, "not as over-the-top..." I assume you mean less than pro700 levels of bass, for instance...
Do you also own the K81 or the like?  Would you be comfortable enough to make some serious comparisons between the two? I am curious to see if more than just the style has changed.

I do not have experience with the Pro 700, so wouldn't be able to give any input there.  I will say though that I am not a huge fan of bass-heavy cans.  This one wasn't bad in that regard, but it was apparent that the bass was kicked up a notch or two.  I have a K81 laying around here somewhere but have had less that 5 minutes of listening time with it.  I can try to give it some time this week though and give some rough comparisons.  

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #59 of 174
Nice pics! Waiting for mine. I do have the PRO700MK2, so I can do some comparisons.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #60 of 174
Hella nice headphones. I have them ordered since 9/29, with 2 day shipping, so I'll be getting them real soon. Can't get them yet because they're not released in the U.S. I spoke to one of AKG's staff, and they told me their shipment of K618dj's will come in within the next week or so, so don't worry guys, they're coming! I'm gonna be doing a full video review and releasing it on my Youtube (Gold171) So watch out for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back