AKG K612 PRO on Creative X-FI Titanium
Apr 15, 2014 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SpartanX58

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I'm having a serious issue. Recently I have bought a AKG K612 and I'm not sure if my X-FI Titanium has enought power to amp these headphones, since those are some very hard to amp. Can the X-FI Titanium handle the K612 well or do I need to buy an external headphone amp?

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 7
You'll be fine. If you can adjust the volume to get enough volume without going beyond say, 80% volume you have enough power. Tonality is another thing but I think people really stress the need for a headphone amp a bit much. I just look at them as expensive volume knobs these days and not much else. Been enjoying my music a lot more lately instead of sweating the small stuff and enjoying my much less expensive cans these days to explore where I was and to appreciate where I am now.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 7
So it has power, but will it sound nice?

Certainly you could always upgrade and improve the sound. But how good your current card will sound is relative to your listening tastes. If you haven't gotten the headphones yet, might as well wait and see :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 7
  Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I'm having a serious issue. Recently I have bought a AKG K612 and I'm not sure if my X-FI Titanium has enough power to amp these headphones, since those are some very hard to amp. Can the X-FI Titanium handle the K612 well or do I need to buy an external headphone amp?

Is the card the regular Titanium or is it the Titanium HD?
You might consider getting a Schiit Magni or Schiit Vali or an O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier.
Can't for sure say how much of a difference it would make, but I would think it would at least improve audio quality a little.

If it's the regular Titanium, you might consider swapping it for a newer Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $85.
(sell off the Titanium)
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Beamforming-Microphone-SB1500/dp/B009ISU33E
The SB-Z comes with a better DAC chip (CS4398) and a decent built in headphone amplifier.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 7
  I'm afraid of the sound card making the headphones lack bass.

Technically the Titanium sound card should give (if any) the 120-Ohm K612 Pro a slightly bloated bass (louder, less detail).
Giving headphones a lot of bass is easy, getting a quality bass costs more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back