1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AKG K612 - better than Sennheiser HD598?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by thelonious58, Jan 26, 2015.
  1. thelonious58
    I've read a lot of really good things about the AKG K612 on head-fi and elsewhere, even suggestions that it is well on the way to the SQ of a Sennheiser HD600.
    I am very pleased with my recently acquired HD598 and find it hard to believe that an HP costing under £100 can be as good - the 612's bass seems to be better, its soundstage is narrower but with very precise imaging, and it has a relatively flat or neutral frequency response, perhaps more neutral than the 598.
    I see that a couple of posters have both the HD598 and the AKG K612, so I would love to know how big the sonic differences are in each area.
    I realise that the 612 needs amping; my Topping NX1 has made a subtle but present difference to my 598, but would they suit the 612?
    Basically, are the two phones so close to each other in SQ to make buying both a silly idea?
    The 612 seems like an amazing bargain......................

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    The AKG KXX headphones, sold on Massdrop, might be a better choice, over the K612.
    But the KXX do cost more (133 GBP).

3. cdma2k
    I would keep 612 and sell 598 if SQ is what you are looking for