AKG K551 out soon.
Aug 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 119
They look nicer, but I'd be surprised if they added anything other than the controls.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 119
Quote:
...I'd be surprised if they added anything other than the controls.

Agreed.  They won't.  And for what it's worth, I think the color schemes are a major downgrade from the K550.

In concept, this is a little silly, no?  The K550/551 is a HUGE headphone that's clearly intended for at-home listening.  Slapping some iControls on it does not suddenly transform it into an ideal portable solution.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 119
i dont like the colors either 
confused.gif
 i bit too flashy for me

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 119
Quote:

Agreed.  They won't.  And for what it's worth, I think the color schemes are a major downgrade from the K550.

In concept, this is a little silly, no?  The K550/551 is a HUGE headphone that's clearly intended for at-home listening.  Slapping some iControls on it does not suddenly transform it into an ideal portable solution.

People wear beats around in public so these can be a portable solution, unfortunately the current version has a long cord which makes this impossible. I would have loved to see a detachable cord on these.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 119
Quote:
I'm not sure if you've seen the 550 in person, but their size is massive, it rivals the diameter of the AD700 cups.

S/He has one. xD

But I agree, I can only see myself using these portably is I stow them in a murse/backpack if I'm not using them.

Not that I liked the K550 in the first place, but on the off chance AKG actually improved these...

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 119
Don't let Rhythmdevils hear about this!
I bet he will love the new color additions that improve the sound by about 25%

This reminds me of what Koss does. They release 3 versions of a headphone with different accessories and options.

Oh and now we'll not only have long winded arguments for years about if there's a difference between the Q701 and K702..but also for the K550 vs K551.

K551 has better dampening and it's upper mids are really improved....

No, it doesn't. It just has a new cable.

Look inside dummy.

It only has some pillow stuffing and dampening material. That doesn't change the sound at all.

Yes, it does

No, it doesn't. See here. This frequency graph is the same!

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 119
Relax guys, it's the K551. It's a single digit difference as reflected by its single change. It's not like they're calling it a K560. They could have called it the K550i and nobody would bat an eyelash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back