AKG K550 Review.
Oct 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #181 of 330
Picked up a pair from Best Buy today to try out. I was very impressed with the build quality and comfort of these headphones. I ran the headphones straight off an iPhone 4s and 2010 Macbook Pro and wasn't too impressed with the bass. I felt the bass was lacking... (compared to my Audio Technica ESW9) Take my review with a pinch of salt.. still a newb to Head-Fi! Just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #184 of 330
Quote:
i find the bass pretty nice when equalized or called upon in the track

i agree.  the 550s take on the personality of the recording.  if its a lauryn hill song, you can feel the air of bass, for example.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #185 of 330
Brand new K550 owner here. Man these are great. Tripping balls right now on some nice jazz recordings, long time since a pair of headphones gave me a smile as big as this 
beyersmile.png

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #186 of 330
The K550 does sound very decent. It is sadly not as comfortable as I hoped. My ears touch the insides of the cups and the headband can give me a headache after a couple of hours.

Maybe it's just because I am used to the Denon AH-D2000...

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #187 of 330
Quote:
The K550 does sound very decent. It is sadly not as comfortable as I hoped. My ears touch the insides of the cups and the headband can give me a headache after a couple of hours.

Maybe it's just because I am used to the Denon AH-D2000...

I used to own the D2000. I actually find these slightly more comfortable. I think I have a small head, since my K550's are fully "collapsed" (as small as possible) so my ears do not touch the inside of the cups.

I think the K550 has somewhat softer pleather, and they are about 50g lighter as well.

This of course does not mean that the Denon's aren't clouds on your head also :wink: 

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #189 of 330
Quote:
Picked up a pair from Best Buy today to try out. I was very impressed with the build quality and comfort of these headphones. I ran the headphones straight off an iPhone 4s and 2010 Macbook Pro and wasn't too impressed with the bass. I felt the bass was lacking... (compared to my Audio Technica ESW9) Take my review with a pinch of salt.. still a newb to Head-Fi! Just wanted to give my 2 cents.

You need to burn these in.  The longer they are played the better they keep sounding. I was like you at first. but once I put that Headstage Arrow to them they just hit right where it's needed.

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #190 of 330
Yup they just get better and bettee. At first since im a noob i had no idea what soundstage really sounded like but now ita bright as day with a live recording that ive listened to countless times on my stock buds. Sounds almost completely diff

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #191 of 330
Listened to an Enrique Iglesias (sorry Enrique if I butchered your name) from my wife's playlist it was insane. Not normally my cup of tea but man that song was produced well. Male and female vocals, lots of instrumentation, just a full sound with lots going on and the K550 handled it beautifly. With a good seal I believe these are neck and neck for the number one spot on my shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back