AKG K550 review - Essentially a closed-back K702 - literally.
Dec 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #61 of 75
Wow, I had a quite opposite experience with K550/ T70. The T70 was painful to my ears. I agree the K550 has a bit of a upper-mid spike but overall I prefer them 10 fold to the T70 (I own the DT770/600 and love that one).

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #62 of 75
looks like you were the one who called it way to early!

Quote:
well.
this was my shortest "dalliance" with a headphone.

i bought it on friday.  received it no saturday.  returned it today (monday).

<SNIP>  
hey, i respect Tyll Hertsens a whole bunch.
but, i think he called this one way too early.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #63 of 75
Quote:
Please note that the aspect ratio is slightly off because photos are shot at my point of view = Near bird's eye view.  I have provided measurements in numbers under photos though.

Diameter of earpads - 4.3"

Diameter of cups - 2.375".  Depth of cups - 0.813" (13/16 of an inch)

Diameter of outer shell - 4.313".  Height of phone - 7.63".

These are photos of the plastic piece cutout that held on to the pads when removing for the first time (first photo at 4 o'clock, second at 5:30).  After removing the pads and inserting them back on, the pads can freely rotate on the cups.

you should post this in the Size Matters thread (with measurements in millimeters too)  =D
http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones#post_9213378

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #64 of 75
@moneyme247, If you want, I'll give you the permission to copy/paste the measurements I took and post it yourself if you wish :)

That size matters thread is a great idea
k701smile.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #65 of 75
Quote:
@moneyme247, If you want, I'll give you the permission to copy/paste the measurements I took and post it yourself if you wish :)

That size matters thread is a great idea
k701smile.gif

copied & cited. thanks a lot dude!!

May 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #66 of 75
The soundstage is awesome.  3D, like it should be, and with great positioning.  I played MW3 infection and actually got the drop on some infected.  I still suck, but the K550's are no slouch in the gaming area.  There's plenty of detail throughout the spectrum - you can easily locate footsteps fore, aft, back-left etc. like a champ.  Movies are equally awesome, although when cranked the highs seem to overwhelm a little so I keep the volume slightly lower than what I had it with my MK2's.  AND, speaking on volume, these can bump 117db in the cup.  That's loud.  I like that.  Some others do too.

I agree and some more people would agree with you and i on this.

Here is me going on about the 3d effect which these sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/610298/akg-k550-review/300#post_9473114

You tell me 99% of headphones don't sound 3d like these do.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #67 of 75
Quote:
well.
this was my shortest "dalliance" with a headphone.

i bought it on friday.  received it no saturday.  returned it today (monday).

in short:
THEY SUCK! 
mad.gif

sorry to offend anyone who has fallen headlong in love with this headphone.

So, I'll elaborate a bit more:

The K550 is anemic.  And this coming from someone who likes the K701 "pretty well".
It is very uneven starting in the upper midrange.
It has slightly withdrawn upper mids.  But still comes across as bright because of the spike at 9-10kHz.

It tries to "induce" soundstage, but instead it seems like the sound is "boxy" and there is uncontrolled cup echo.

but, hey - they're sexy headphones.
and pretty well built.  

EDIT:
let me add one last point.
it wasn't just me who thought this.
i let 3 people who i work with audition this headphone.
and did not tell them my own reaction to the headhpone first.
all 3 of them said they sucked.

even my wife, who is no audiophile, listened to them and said "they don't sound natural."

hey, i respect Tyll Hertsens a whole bunch.
but, i think he called this one way too early.

I thought the very same my self except then I realized I had my ears to close to teh Front of the pads, move the entire driver, so that the back of the pads is right against the back of your ear. Don't let your ear touch the back cuz that feels wierd but get it close. When you do this OMG it sounds much more natrual! 

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #68 of 75
Quote:
The soundstage is awesome.  3D, like it should be, and with great positioning.  I played MW3 infection and actually got the drop on some infected.  I still suck, but the K550's are no slouch in the gaming area.  There's plenty of detail throughout the spectrum - you can easily locate footsteps fore, aft, back-left etc. like a champ.  Movies are equally awesome, although when cranked the highs seem to overwhelm a little so I keep the volume slightly lower than what I had it with my MK2's.  AND, speaking on volume, these can bump 117db in the cup.  That's loud.  I like that.  Some others do too.

I agree and some more people would agree with you and i on this.

Here is me going on about the 3d effect which these sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/610298/akg-k550-review/300#post_9473114

You tell me 99% of headphones don't sound 3d like these do.

Actually my Modded ATH w1000x does 3D just as well as the K550 <3 

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #69 of 75
Just got these bad boys a few days ago and must say I love them so much! 

Quote:
  I thought the very same my self except then I realized I had my ears to close to teh Front of the pads, move the entire driver, so that the back of the pads is right against the back of your ear. Don't let your ear touch the back cuz that feels wierd but get it close. When you do this OMG it sounds much more natrual! 

This is really true ... you have to know how to put these on properly! 

Also read another post saying that low levels of listening is really non-fatiguing - cannot agree more ... listened to over 5 hours nonstop of light music (mix of genres) before my ears needed a break. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #70 of 75
I am attached to the K550. If you would like to read my review, here it is (http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/10231). I have modded the ear pads and the cable and can post more info about how to do so if you would like me to.

Troy

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #71 of 75
I will receive those cans soon and I haven't found much picture of the actual stuffing trick. I would very much have some more information about it. What did you use? Cotton? Is it easy?

Tanks for your replies.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #73 of 75
  I will receive those cans soon and I haven't found much picture of the actual stuffing trick. I would very much have some more information about it. What did you use? Cotton? Is it easy?

Tanks for your replies.

It its totally unnecessary to do this! When I bought my k550, i sounded weak on bass...  very very weak but after a few days of use the bass came! 
biggrin.gif

Now after 1000s hours of use, its amazingly balanced and the bass is strong and deep!

Its the same for the foam to adapt. just relax and with some weeks of use it will burn in too and you will enjoy another very well designed product.

Today i´ve bought the k702 and they sound almost the same.. just a little less bass and little more instrument separation.

I think the k550 is more confortable than k702. but after 4 hour of non stop use, the k550 hurts a little on top of the skull.

just use your new k550 normaly. don´t try to mod it or rush the burn in process... just relax and enjoy! 

Cheers 
Dardo.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #74 of 75
Guys, I know Im revivng a dead forum, but THESE CANS HAVE A BURN-IN PERIOD!!! WHAT DONT YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND?!

After about a week, the sound will smooth out. The bass comes out (again not crazy though) and the upper ranges fix themselves. I heard these are great headphones, by people who waited more than two days reviewing them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back