AKG K550 review - Essentially a closed-back K702 - literally.
Mar 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #33 of 75
I just received these...

One word - flawless.  It has smooth highs, forward and delicious mids, and punchy bass, but not overbearing on the low notes.  I just tested them on games, music, and movies - passed every test with flying colors.  If I need to EQ, I actually add a bit more bass, and get this, treble too!  That's right, a touch more treble actually makes these shine even more.  I should've bought these headphones 3 years ago, that's how excellent they sound to me!  I'm done with the headphone game, these are my babies.

I also must note that isolation is good, but not great on these DT660's, but, they hold your tunes in just as well as the K550's and the MK2's.  That makes three excellent choices if you need to control sound leakage.

I'm now debating on returning (or selling) the K550's, I don't need them anymore, the DT660's have replaced them.  Accepting offers on the K550's, I might just hand these out a a fantastic price (like new as well with original packaging) to a fellow head-fier.

EDIT:  Decided to sell them for $210, and that includes shipping.

EDIT: They've been sold.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #34 of 75

Those are closed right? The DT-860 is open and supposed to be very good.
Your description of them is similar to my DJ100. DJ100 has slightly boosted bass, forward upper mids and slightly rolled off treble. Still fairly treble happy, but smooth treble.
Have you tried the DJ100 or the HD-598? Does the DT-860 sound like either of these? HD-598 is one of my favorite headphones of all time. Especially good when I don't want to analyze anything.

I love a headphone that has forward mids and isn't too warm.

BTW a lot of the cheaper Beyerdynamic are virtually unheard of around here and it's too bad. The DT-235 is a hidden gem and is only $55!

Also..does the DT-860 have forward upper mids? Are they good for female vocals?
Quote:
I just received these...

One word - flawless.  It has smooth highs, forward and delicious mids, and punchy bass, but not overbearing on the low notes.  I just tested them on games, music, and movies - passed every test with flying colors.  If I need to EQ, I actually add a bit more bass, and get this, treble too!  That's right, a touch more treble actually makes these shine even more.  I should've bought these headphones 3 years ago, that's how excellent they sound to me!  I'm done with the headphone game, these are my babies.

I also must note that isolation is good, but not great on these DT660's, but, they hold your tunes in just as well as the K550's and the MK2's.  That makes three excellent choices if you need to control sound leakage.

I'm now debating on returning (or selling) the K550's, I don't need them anymore, the DT660's have replaced them.  Accepting offers on the K550's, I might just hand these out a a fantastic price (like new as well with original packaging) to a fellow head-fier.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #35 of 75
Mar 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #36 of 75
I have both the DT860 (open) and just received the DT660 (closed).  The answer is yes on all the sound characteristics you just mentioned on both.  The DT660 are just a dream to listen to - words that mirror yours - smooth slightly rolled off treble with just the right amount of bass punch.  We might actually just agree on the same sound sig... I will probably try those Koss's you love mentioning..
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #37 of 75

Quote:

Yeah, I must've read that short review ten times and still decided on getting the DT660's.  I should've listened to my gut that was telling me to get them for the past 5 months.  WhatHiFi might've given them 4 stars, but I happily give them five.  Awesome closed cans in my opinion.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #39 of 75
I recently bought a pair of these and in one sentence: I would buy them over and over again.

I own lots of cans and IE monitors which i use both for playing drums and listening to music, from Shure SE535,SE425, AKG K701, K242HD,to  Monster's Studio, B&W P5 and Grado's SR80i and i may say, i would keep my Grado's and the K550's and be happy all my life! :wink:

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #40 of 75
Thinking of getting a pair of these to either compliment or replace (depending how much I like them) my AD900's.

Thoughts? Looking for something closed that has a bit more low end than the AD900's, and a bit more bass impact. Hoping these fit the bill.

May 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #41 of 75
hey 

i've had the Pro 900s for almost a year now and I love them, but I just sometimes wish for more "umpf?" in vocals when I'm listening to like Adele or slow RnB songs. Beyond these, I mainly listen to Kpop (all kinds), classical, and lots of ballads. Would the K550 answer my wish for that extra "wow" factor? Sometimes I get bored from my Pro 900s sounding too hollow in a sense, maybe due to a lack of a good amp. I certainly hope K550s would be an improvement when listening to the genres I mentioned before.

May 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #42 of 75
Quote:
hey 

i've had the Pro 900s for almost a year now and I love them, but I just sometimes wish for more "umpf?" in vocals when I'm listening to like Adele or slow RnB songs. Beyond these, I mainly listen to Kpop (all kinds), classical, and lots of ballads. Would the K550 answer my wish for that extra "wow" factor? Sometimes I get bored from my Pro 900s sounding too hollow in a sense, maybe due to a lack of a good amp. I certainly hope K550s would be an improvement when listening to the genres I mentioned before.

Do you want closed?

Luckily for you, the Pro 900 is at the bottom of the food chain regarding midrange. So anything you'll pick up will be a nice improvement.

May 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #43 of 75
Thanks for the reply.
Doesn't matter whether or not it is closed or open for me as I mostly listen to music at home.
But is it worth it, getting the K550 or should I just look somewhere else to get extra wow factor?

May 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #45 of 75
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Doesn't matter whether or not it is closed or open for me as I mostly listen to music at home.
But is it worth it, getting the K550 or should I just look somewhere else to get extra wow factor?

I'm not going to judge the K550 because I've never heard it, but greater midrange "wow" factor can definitely be heard for less money.

There are many, many headphones that would be great candidates. Just depends on what sound you like, if you are using an amp, and what you are willing to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back