AKG K550 review - Essentially a closed-back K702 - literally.
May 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #46 of 75
budget under $500 (no amp use preferable, straight from macbook pro or iPod), basically genres i mentioned before (RnB, ballad, classical, Kpop, indie)

Any suggestions?

May 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #47 of 75
I think the H598 does a fantastic job with everything, but it's got a very "safe" sound; which definitely isn't a bad thing. Like I mentioned before, coming from the Pro 900, I think you'll be in a real treat listening to the midrange and soundstage -- two aspects the HD598 is known very well for. The AD900 is a great option too, but coming from the Pro 900, you'll probably find it severely bass lacking. It's a speedier, airy, and more fun version of the HD598, but doesn't have the warmth or the solidity of the HD598. Both are really fantastic headphones (I've owned both twice) and will run great off of literally anything. There are some other nice options out there, so you may want to snoop around a bit before you finalize anything. HE-300 and HE-400 are well regarded as well, but I'm not sure how well they would do unamped, even though they are both very efficient.

May 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #48 of 75
The HE400 is really nice unamped.  I use it a lot with my iPhone4 and iPod classic.  Given that, they do get better amped, even with a FiiO E17.
Right now, I'm looking for a closed set of cans so I can listen in the same room when my wife is reading or watching TV.  I'm definitely going to audition the K550's.  Also looking forward two the upcoming v-Moda M100's.  Have the M80's and they area awesome.  Just want a full size closed can.  The K550's are definitely in my price range.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #51 of 75
Being completely open, the K702 does outperform the K550 in terms of soundstage and seperation, but the K550 still has some of the best soundstage and seperation in any closed headphone. It also has noticeably more bass.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #52 of 75
Soundstage.  That is the only word you need to know when considering K550s.  The best in a sealed headphone I've ever heard.  If Sennheiser's put you in the fifth row, these put you on the stage.  For me, the alpha and the omega of why I love my K550s is the soundstage, period. 

As for the K702 comparison...meh.  The K550s are a balanced headphone.  The highs roll off.  There is mid-high spike that I equalize down, other than that, these cans favor the left-center of the frequency spectrum.  I find the bass the tiniest bit understated, so i equalize up 60-200 Hz just a tad.  So in short, they sound nothing like the K702s...to me.

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #53 of 75
lol am confused this thread started so well with all the K550 love and then ts gets the DT660s and then there getting more love?

Anyhow am enjoying my K550s after 2 weeks of use and yes after a really good burn in they sound very nice.....

Shame ts has not got the K550s anymore would have been awesome to hear a decent review and comparision :)

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #54 of 75
I have some and I love the sound. I have a head biger than average and they aren't as comfortable (lots of pressure on the ears) as my AD900 and not close to as confortable as let's say K271 but it seems most people find them very comfortable. ANother thing is also that these are not headphones you are going to handle the same way as AKG 200 series. You can turn the drivers around but I always make sure I do it carefully (I'm always afraid they will break). Pas are also a weak point, they look like they're going to get used quite quickly.

The reason why I keep them is the sound. For 200 dollars, these sound great.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #55 of 75
Quote:
Soundstage.  That is the only word you need to know when considering K550s.  The best in a sealed headphone I've ever heard.  If Sennheiser's put you in the fifth row, these put you on the stage.  For me, the alpha and the omega of why I love my K550s is the soundstage, period. 

As for the K702 comparison...meh.  The K550s are a balanced headphone.  The highs roll off.  There is mid-high spike that I equalize down, other than that, these cans favor the left-center of the frequency spectrum.  I find the bass the tiniest bit understated, so i equalize up 60-200 Hz just a tad.  So in short, they sound nothing like the K702s...to me.

In your opinion, for jazz, vocal, blue..audiophile, which is the better choice: K550 or K702?
By the way, do you feel that K702 has heavier bass comparing to K550?

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #56 of 75
Listening right now to both the K550s and the K702s and all I can say is that the 550s:
1. Have more bass impact (but not much more, which could be attributed to being closed vs open)
2. Don't have the separation of the 702s but you can still pick instruments apart)
3. Are more difficult to position correctly (I'm a woman so these are a little less secure than the 702s
4. Present the music a little more upfront and altogether vs. the more spacious and further away 702s where it's got more separation.
5. Are not as fatiguing (I feel like I don't have to concentrate as much)
6. Are much easier to drive and require much less volume than the 702s
7. Have some resonance from what I imagine comes from the fact they are closed back

Running both from lossless sources through a Heed CanAmp.
Anyone else finding the same?

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #57 of 75
Ive not spent a terribly large amount of time with the 702's, but I do own the 550's and from what I can hear, I agree completely with you Chuda. Well, with the exception of the trouble positioning. Though I have a ton of hair, so I think that helps to cushion the fit of any headphones I put on.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #58 of 75
I own both and agree with what's been echoed here that the K550 sounds very similar to the K702 with the exception of touch more bass. The K702 still has slightly better instrument separation, but it also sounds much grainier than the K550. The K550 just sounds a lot cleaner and more refined. I also feel that the soundstage on the K550 is almost as wide, but much deeper than the 702.

I think the K702 definitely shows it's age next to the K550. Still enjoy them both, though!

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #59 of 75
The K550s get increasingly better over time, its like an endless burn in session. I have had mine almost 6 months with over 300-400 hours of total playing time and they sound amazing.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #60 of 75
Oh, maybe I should chime in.  Avoid the DT660's, I made a mistake with those (piercing, brittle treble with shallow cups).  I've been bumpin' the T70's (250 ohm) and my portable set the T50p's.  These Tesla drivers are literally right up my alley.  To describe the sound on the Tesla would be "powerfully clear", and I do not say that lightly.  I've also just put in a order for the Custom One Pro's, can't wait for those.  I'm keeping all 3 of these Beyer bad-boys.

Glad to see some are enjoying the K550, but to me that spike in the upper mids along with the sound (to me) being slightly disengaging, I couldn't end my quest for a closed-back that I can keep - forever.  In short, the T70's and the T50p's bass goes deeper, and has a bit more impact than the K550's.  Plus the sound is ultra-clear.  Love that Tesla!

I've had the T70's for 5 months and the T50p's for 2 months now...

I had the K550's for 3 days, then sold them for 2/3rds of full msrp.  The K550's were a let down for me, but I think they would appeal mostly to those that favor the AKG open-backs and need some isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back