AKG K550: An upgrade over Sennheiser HD598 for Classical?
Aug 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

franconero

Head-Fier
I've loved my HD598's so I suppose it's merely boredom and or the attractiveness of the AKG K550's that has me thinking I might like to buy the K550's. I have also in the last year or so found myself listening almost exclusively to Classical music. My tastes are pretty broad in Classical, I listen to a lot of piano sonatas and concertos and to symphonies as well. 

Many of the positive reviews seem to mention that the K550's would work well with classical, so I'd love to hear some thoughts on the K550's vs HD598's. Are the K550's flat out better than the HD598's? Would they be better specifically for classical? Are they different enough that it might make sense to have both? I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

BTW - it might help to know that I'm using a Schiit Asgard and Audio Poutine ODAC. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Definitely a downgrade for me. Felt like I gave up some of the fuller sounding mids of the 598 for more treble and bass.

The K550 might sound clearer or detailed to some, but I hated it's mids.

Sounded quite thin and lifeless at times, but it could be due to having less clamp for me. I did get good bass at least.

The mids almost seemed close to being recessed (sounding) at times.

Didn't sound as clear as people are saying. I actually think my KRK KNS-8400 sounded clearer.

You might consider the D2000. It's a good alternative to the K550 and I'd probably take that over the K550.
I wouldn't pay $350 for it, but maybe $225 or so. Doesn't match my sound signature though, but I did like it.

IMO a budget upgrade for the 598 is the Q701, but some people prefer the Sennheiser sound over the AKG stuff. Not me.
I don't think it's a sidegrade like some say.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks for responding. I suspected that the K550 might not be a clear improvement over the HD598 given they are sort of similarly priced. As the HD598 is the first quality headphone I've owned, I guess I am intrigued by the idea that headphones have different sound signatures and that some seem to prefer the AKG sound over Sennheiser for classical. Maybe I'll just have to give it an AKG, or D2000 to figure out what I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back