AKG K530 or K601 - allround headphones for work
Jan 23, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you mind to buy used?

Hm, haven't really considered that, but sure why not.

Got to be comfortable cans as well as I'll be wearing them for several hours.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 33
I think your best option is to find some used or even maybe mint HD 580, for a little below $200, then buy some amp....what you can buy for $150-160...i think something like Little Dot 2 will be a great companion for HD 580 and you'll have healthy system to enjoy music with.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #18 of 33
Been working and nice to see this thread grow
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm always amazed at how many of us can listen to the same thing and draw different conclusions. I had the HD580s for a month and couldn't wait to sell them. Limp and lifeless would describe my 30 day adventure with them. I have heard the HD600s and HD650s on other systems with wonderful amps (Eddie Current Zana Deux and Darkvoice 337). It's obvious to me that I personally find the Senns bleh. For me listening to Senns is like attending a funeral. They just aren't for me. I'm sure it is that way with the K601 for others.

So you may or may not like one, the other, both or neither. However, I'm willing to bet that you will really dislike both choices if you don't pick up an amp to drive them.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 33
Difficult choice. I really liked the open soundstage and overall quality of the K701s, and as I understand the K601 have a warmer sound.

Perhaps K601 paired with a decent headphone amp will bring the lower end to life and give me enough bass to work with rock and hiphop as well?

And if I do go for a headphone amp I guess I'd be equally baffled from all the choices there..
smily_headphones1.gif
Lots of brands, tube or not tube... Argh
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #20 of 33
How about HD555 paired with a total bithead usb amp?

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 33
I've been using K601s at work (amped though), and think they rule ! Can wear them for hours on end, and not get tired.

And personally, when coupled with a decent amp (never even bothered unamped), I've found they have very tight, solid bass, not boomy at all.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Perhaps K601 paired with a decent headphone amp will bring the lower end to life and give me enough bass to work with rock and hiphop as well?

Um...no!

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #23 of 33
Hm, I'm not convinced QQQ, but I may prove myself wrong - I found a pair of almost new K601s (bought november 2008) at 40% below the lowest retail price - so I'm picking them up tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotta find myself an amp as well now - I think I'll go for the total bithead as it has an usb interface, and based on the reviews seems to give a good and slightly warm sound (as does the K601), which is what I'm after
smily_headphones1.gif

Even if they're not perfect for house/hiphop I suspect that their qualities in other music might make up for it.

I'll let you know!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #24 of 33
Total bithead will not be a good choice fro k601, it's almost not amoing them at all. How much money you will have(max) to buy an amp after you buy k601?

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Total bithead will not be a good choice fro k601, it's almost not amoing them at all. How much money you will have(max) to buy an amp after you buy k601?

I'll have enough money for the cheapest one that does the job?
wink.gif
No, I don't know - I don't have a set budget.

The total bithead is 159USD - do you think I need to buy something significantly more expensive than that?

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

If you can strecth your budget for Shanling ph100 it'll be ideal companion for k601. I'd, personally, not pay even $59 for Bithead.

Hm, that looked quite nice, but no USB/DAC-part. But I guess I can just plug it into my USB Soundcard..

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #29 of 33
Congratulations on making a choice. You've had AKGs in the past and you'll really enjoy the K601s.

The good news is they sound divine. The bad news is they're power hungry. I'm not familiar with the amps mentioned thus far but I think you'll be alot happier if you move your budget up to $350-$400. This would allow you to buy a new Headamp Pico (basic model) or I see an Eddie Current SS in the for sale forum that should work well and on the tube side a Darkvoice 332 is also in the for sale forum. No doubt other great choices as well.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Hm, that looked quite nice, but no USB/DAC-part. But I guess I can just plug it into my USB Soundcard..

Yes, but that's a really good amp, and you'll be good with your USB sound card for some time, then just buy a better dac and you're really good.

Also, at what price you're getting the k601?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back