AKG K530 or K601 - allround headphones for work
Jan 23, 2009 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

hybris

Head-Fier
Hi. I'm currently using my trusty old AKG 141 (600 ohm version) headphones at work, and I'm looking for something to replace them.

They are great, but they are a bit tiresome (not the most comfortable headphones in the world and the pads are worn out) to use over longer periods, and also have nothing like the soundstage and clarity of the K601/701 (a buddy just got the K701s).

Reading the reviews on this forum I see that the K601 is probably more right for me than the K701 as I enjoy rhythmical music and warm sound.

I listen to almost all kinds of music (from jazz through hard rock and pop to house, no classical), but they need to work with rock and house music as well.

I was wondering wether the K530s were possibly more punchy and better suited for allround listening than the K601?

Still - I'd like to have the best possible sound (I have high end audio equipment at home), and I'm afraid the K530 won't cut it. I really liked the sound of the K701, but they were slightly thin / light - and seemed to lack in bass response. (it was not powered by a separate headphone amp at the time)..

Uhm, well just jotted down my random thoughts on the subject here - any comments or advice would be appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Price isn't a major issue, but if K530 would fit my bill I won't mind paying that much less than the K601
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: And it is important that they are comfortable to wear over several hours at the time

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k530 are just bad and k601 not allarounder and very hard to drive.
Look for AT's maybe, or HD 580-650 if you have an amp.

ATs?

When I say allround I may not mean the same as the other guy - I want good quality sound for all music. I have B&W 804s driven by Electrocompaniet AW250 at home (if that means something to anyone), and think it's a great allround system, as it's so good that it works regardless of what you throw at it.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I'm thinking maybe K601 with a headphone amp might be the thing. But will it provide enough bass if it gets the right amplification, or is the sound signature too thin?

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 33
The K601s are indeed a good can for all music genres. Bass is very nice and not over blown. They have a wonderful organic sound.

As QQQ said though, they will require a decent amp to drive them in order for you to truly enjoy what they offer.

I borrowed a pair for a month and still consider getting the K601 to go along with the K501 I currently have.

I have not heard the K530s so won't comment there.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

I want good quality sound for all music. I have B&W 804s driven by Electrocompaniet AW250 at home (if that means something to anyone), and think it's a great allround system, as it's so good that it works regardless of what you throw at it.

Yes i understand and akg k601 is not an allarounder. It plays wonderfully some genres, average the others.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

It plays wonderfully some genres, average the others.

Apparently QQQ and I are destined to disagree as that is the definition of an all rounder. I have yet to hear a sub $1000 can that plays all genres "wonderfully", as all play some genres just so so, and have no experience with cans that cost more. The better question is will the 601 (or whatever you choose) fit your choice in music ... and can you live with its faults.

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 33
Thank you for all the answers so far!

So how would you rate the HD600 recommended by Cankin as opposed to K601? I see from a few tests that they seem to be good in the bass area.

But how do they compare in overall sound quality and sound stage compared to K601?

And how about the HD595 vs HD600?

So many choices!
smily_headphones1.gif

I might also add that I probably won't be using a headphone amp. I'm running my current AK141s of an external USB soundcard from my office computer - but would like something that is sonically superior to those.

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Yes i understand and akg k601 is not an allarounder. It plays wonderfully some genres, average the others.

If properly amped it as much an all rounder as an HD650, though a bit brighter and more lively.

If the k601 isn't an all rounder, I'd love to know what you think is for less than $200.

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

I have yet to hear a sub $1000 can that plays all genres "wonderfully", as all play some genres just so so, and have no experience with cans that cost more.

I'll put it another way: i can listen to every genre with HD 650 with pleasure, even though it also shine on some, OK on others, BUT, i cannot enjoy rock on k601 and one, who loves rap\electronica will probably also hate k601 with those genres.

Quote:

If the k601 isn't an all rounder, I'd love to know what you think is for less than $200.

HD 580, i'm pretty sure there're audio-technicas that will fit that descryption under $200, Beyerdynamic DT 150 and 250, even Grado SR 225, u'm sure i missed something...but even cans are mentioned are all better all-arounder than k 601. None of them, of course, can touch AKG k601 when it comes to playing acoustic, classical, jazz, etc...

Quote:

Between K601/K701, I'd say K601 is a better allrounder and it's signature is warmer than K701. But I'd say HD600 is a better allrounder than former two AKGs.

Agreed. Actually, AKG k601 is better music reproducing device than k701.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

I'll put it another way: i can listen to every genre with HD 650 with pleasure, even though it also shine on some, OK on others, BUT, i cannot enjoy rock on k601 and one, who loves rap\electronica will probably also hate k601 with those genres.

I need something that will work on rap/rnb as well as rock - so perhaps K601 isn't my cup of tea then.. Hmm.

And is there ANY headphones that actually can deliver both bass and high quality sound without an headphone amp? It seems like whichever headphone I read about there's always someone commenting on the lack of bass.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 33
Here are some the questions I would ponder...

What's the source? What's the amp?

Now, eliminate cans based on that.

Based on your earlier suggestions, you might want to consider looking into the Denon D2000s.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Where do you want to plug your cans into?

Mainly my office computer, as I spend several hours a day listening to music there, and would like to improve on sound quality while doing so. I'm currenlty listening through an external USB sound card, to eliminate noise/hiss from the internal soundcard of my computer. I might let myself be convinced to buy a usb headphone amp if strictly necessary but would prefer not to, as I assume the cans who would need that is probably quite pricey to begin with.

I tried the K701s (fresh out of the box) on this setup, and the immediate impression was that they very good sound quality, had a great soundstage (almost like I was listening to speakers not cans), but the highs were a bit bright especially on rock, and they where to thin in the low end for more bass heavy music like house or hiphop. So those would not fit the bill.

I was hoping to keep the total price below 2500NOK (about 350USD) - that sum will buy me a pair of K701s or HD650s here in Norway. Or something cheaper + an amp, or anything else you might suggest that gives me the best possible sound quality, good bass response and an "allround" characteristics that would be satisfactory to anything from acoustic/vocal music through rock and hiphop/house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back