AKG K518LEs + E5 = Awesome
Jan 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #16 of 41
Ok, so I started burning it in overnight (I'm going for 48 hours, I've knocked out 12 by now), and a quarter through burning it has obviously become more clear and bright, and I now think I know what people mean by the bass being very "fast" now :D

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #18 of 41
Just 12 hours of burn in and they already sound beautiful for dubstep and drum n' bass. Granted, I've only tried these, iGrados, and sucky MDR-V150s, but these are easily the best out of those three.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 41
I'm glad to hear that you like the K 518 LE!

From what I have heard when listening to them in stores in Japan when I lived there last year, they are great for their price. I compared them to the Sennheiser HD25 1:2, and I could not hear a difference to justify the three times higher price of the HD25 1:2. Twice the price, okay, but they HD25 1:2 does not sound three times as good as the K 518!

I have still ordered the HD25 1:2 for myself. But I did order the K 518 LE (white version) for my wife. The K 518 really is a great phone. Especially for the relatively low price.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:

From what I have heard when listening to them in stores in Japan when I lived there last year, they are great for their price. I compared them to the Sennheiser HD25 1:2, and I could not hear a difference to justify the three times higher price of the HD25 1:2. Twice the price, okay, but they HD25 1:2 does not sound three times as good as the K 518!

I have still ordered the HD25 1:2 for myself. But I did order the K 518 LE (white version) for my wife. The K 518 really is a great phone. Especially for the relatively low price.

k518/81's are too bassy IMO for there own good.i agree, HD 25 1-ii's aren't worth three times the cost of the K81's, but i guess that's the law of diminishing returns coming into play

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #25 of 41

Quote:
Quote:

k518/81's are too bassy IMO for there own good.i agree, HD 25 1-ii's aren't worth three times the cost of the K81's, but i guess that's the law of diminishing returns coming into play

Yeah, the K518 are bassy, but not too bassy. At least not to my ears. I say that even though I love earbuds such as the Audio Technica CM700TI, which are virtually bass-less but incredibly clear both in mids and highs.
When listening to the K518 and HD25 in a (noisy) electronics store, I think that the K518 sounded great. That is, without the extra foam layer. With that inserted, they sound terrible. Without it, bassy but still quite balanced. The "bassyness" might be EQed away if you do not like it. My wife loves bass, so I figured that the K518 would be great for her.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #26 of 41
Ordered a FiiO E5 amp...

I can also do something between head-nodding and head-banging and my headphones won't come off :D

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #27 of 41
What is the treblehead equiv of the K518s? My friend really likes them except for excessive bass and lack of highs...

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #28 of 41

Quote:
What is the treblehead equiv of the K518s? My friend really likes them except for excessive bass and lack of highs...

Sennheiser HD 25 1:II? They are basically in the same ballpark as the K518LE, but more refined (and about 3 times as expensive). Treble is more extended than on the K518. However, they might be too bassy for your friend. The bass amount is almost the same as on the K518, but again, it is slightly more refined.
When comparing HD25 1:II and K518 DJ (same as LE except longer cord) in Japanese electronics stores, I thought that they did not sound too different. The HD25 1:II did sound slightly better to my ears. But as I wrote in an earlier post - they are not 3 times as good as the K518.

Other than that I do not know. Your friend could always go with Grados, but then he'd get an open phone. But perhaps that is no problem?

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #29 of 41

Quote:

Quote:

Sennheiser HD 25 1:II? They are basically in the same ballpark as the K518LE, but more refined (and about 3 times as expensive). Treble is more extended than on the K518. However, they might be too bassy for your friend. The bass amount is almost the same as on the K518, but again, it is slightly more refined.
When comparing HD25 1:II and K518 DJ (same as LE except longer cord) in Japanese electronics stores, I thought that they did not sound too different. The HD25 1:II did sound slightly better to my ears. But as I wrote in an earlier post - they are not 3 times as good as the K518.

Other than that I do not know. Your friend could always go with Grados, but then he'd get an open phone. But perhaps that is no problem?

Forgot to list price: $40-$60 :p

He doesn't mind open...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back