AKG K501: No Bass? What are you talking about?
Mar 24, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #16 of 38
501s are a tad shy in the bottom octave, but they are super accurate everywhere else, so they can do a fantastic job of reproducing instruments that produce "bass.' You're brain fills in the rest, Just like Quad 57s. Come to think of it, 501s remind me a lot of Quad 57s.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
501s are a tad shy in the bottom octave, but they are super accurate everywhere else, so they can do a fantastic job of reproducing instruments that produce "bass.' You're brain fills in the rest, Just like Quad 57s. Come to think of it, 501s remind me a lot of Quad 57s.

This made my day more than Uncle Erik's comment made feh1325's day.
biggrin.gif

I see in your sig your K501 got replaced by the K701. Do you think the K701 is a K501 with a fuller bottom octave?

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This made my day more than Uncle Erik's comment made feh1325's day.
biggrin.gif

I see in your sig your K501 got replaced by the K701. Do you think the K701 is a K501 with a fuller bottom octave?

No, it's more than that, but in some ways less than that. The 501 replicates the "space" of the recording venue better than the 701 or any other dynamic headphone I've heard. I mean the "space" of the room where the recording was made -studio, concert hall, someone's basement, whatever. That is, in my opinion, a huge accomplishment for a headphone. The 701s come close, but the 501s really are amazing in that department. Maybe I'll re-buy a pair, but I still love my 701s.

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #19 of 38
AFAIK, there is atleast 2, maybe 3 different generations of K501 in market. One has no real problems in bass, other ones rolls of fast, slightly below 100Hz. So its not exactly a simple "K501 No-bass What youre talking about?" issue.

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #20 of 38
I recently bought wafflesomd's K501s, and I'm pleased to say that I really like them.

They do lack bass compared to my HD580s, but as already indicated in this thread, the 501s match accoustic and "live" music very well teamed up with a 24v Pimeta.

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's more than that, but in some ways less than that. The 501 replicates the "space" of the recording venue better than the 701 or any other dynamic headphone I've heard. I mean the "space" of the room where the recording was made -studio, concert hall, someone's basement, whatever. That is, in my opinion, a huge accomplishment for a headphone.

Definitely one of their strongest points, which is why they haven’t been totally replaced by my SR325i’s and HD580’s.
I always use them as a reference when listening to live recorded music, they are still the champs in that department, creating a space that the Grado’s and Senn’s have not achieved although I’ve yet to listen to the GS1000’s.
In fact if I was forced to chose one headphone only, it would be the K501's.

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 38
Mind if I ask where did you get the k501 for $150?

Thank you!=]

*edit* Have any of you listened to electronic music(downtempo, ambient, trip hop) with these cans? I would love to know your experience with them
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind if I ask where did you get the k501 for $150?

Thank you!=]

*edit* Have any of you listened to electronic music(downtempo, ambient, trip hop) with these cans? I would love to know your experience with them
tongue.gif

eBay!

I don't have much electronic stuff but I have listened to some Brian Eno ambient and it is marvelous. The large soundstage is what adds a particularly airy and 360 degree feeling in his work. Try his album "Ambient 4 / On Land"...its creepy with these headphones.

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eBay!

I don't have much electronic stuff but I have listened to some Brian Eno ambient and it is marvelous. The large soundstage is what adds a particularly airy and 360 degree feeling in his work. Try his album "Ambient 4 / On Land"...its creepy with these headphones.

Thank you hawk!
The soundstage of the k501 is also what interests me the most. I'm wondering if I should shoot for the k501, or the k701 later on.

Anywhos, thanks for your help, later!

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, there is atleast 2, maybe 3 different generations of K501 in market. One has no real problems in bass, other ones rolls of fast, slightly below 100Hz. So its not exactly a simple "K501 No-bass What youre talking about?" issue.

Which pair did you have that you got measurements of it rolling off real fast that soon? I'd like to see the FR plot.
blink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #26 of 38
Mar 24, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How can you tell which generation you're getting?

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you tell which generation you're getting?

Take off the earpads and take a look, then compare: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229427

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
60Hz I will believe, but 100Hz is very high, which is why I want to see the measurements he took to get that.

Based on my awesome use-ears-and-tone-generator technique, I determined 60Hz as the roll-off point. I don't need no graph to show me what my ears hear.
redface.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my awesome use-ears-and-tone-generator technique, I determined 60Hz as the roll-off point. I don't need no graph to show me what my ears hear.
redface.gif

Who asked for a graph from you?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back