AKG K501: No Bass? What are you talking about?
Mar 24, 2007 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

hawkhkg11

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I got my K501s recently, and after reading all the threads about the no-bass issue, I was extremely, and pleasantly surprised with the bass in these cans. I'm running them straight into an Entech 203.2 DAC (no amp yet). From what I've read, I expected bass similar to my ER6i's, if not worse.

The bass performance of these cans is comparable to my SR225 with bowls. It's a very tight and refined bass. If I had to describe it, I would say the K501s have very realistic bass (not artificially added bass) and overall naturalness that just makes the original recording both true and very musical. The huge soundstage (which some call unnatural) is also a new experience for me and I must say I prefer this soundstage to the "in-your-head" Grados. These cans sound a lot like speakers; in fact, when I listen to them I often feel like the speakers on my desk are playing and not the headphones!

The detail in the highs are simply transparent. For jazz, classical, and acoustic stuff, it's really wonderful beyond words. Needless to say, these are the best phones I've heard so far, and I think I've found my sound. At $150 new, these are a steal!

Mar 24, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The detail in the highs are simply transparent. For jazz, classical, and acoustic stuff, it's really wonderful beyond words. Needless to say, these are the best phones I've heard so far, and I think I've found my sound. At $150 new, these are a steal!

That may be true, but they lack what I would consider to be "enough" bass impact for rock/metal.

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 38
Fully agree, glad you're pleased with these excellent cans. Try 'em with a high current tube and be WOWed ye
t again ;-}

Listin' to Madman across the Water and the presentation of vocals and keyboards and strings and yes Bass and drums in the LFs are all there wonderfully ;-}

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 38
501 = the best bass I've ever heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Love them to death, but had to sell them
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may be true, but they lack what I would consider to be "enough" bass impact for rock/metal.

I'm not too versed on the demands and requirements of heavy rock/metal as I don't listen to these genres too much, but yes, I would imagine you would need more raw impact than the K501s can deliver. But for overall clarity, I've not heard a better phone.

However, My Bloody Valentine and JAMC sound great on these phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

I'm not too versed on the demands and requirements of heavy rock/metal as I don't listen to these genres too much, but yes, I would imagine you would need more raw impact than the K501s can deliver. But for overall clarity, I've not heard a better phone.

Bass-clarity is definitely one of their strengths. IMHO they can go toe to toe with any can under ~$250 in that regard.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Yes, I love the K501 for its fantastic clarity. I also think it has enough impact and bass in general for prog rock, and I don't listen to hard rock or metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
501 = the best bass I've ever heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Love them to death, but had to sell them
frown.gif

frown.gif

That means a lot, coming from a tuba player. Although, it does roll off around 60Hz...

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 38
The K-501 bass is fantastic when reproducing real sounds. By real, I mean a live recording of a voice or instrument. Where they fall down is when the low end is electronically modified, e.g. overdriven amps, compression and when the recording engineer boosts the low end. All of that is artificial.

That's why the K-501 is amazing with acoustic music, which is typically jazz and classical. Use a high current amp with them, and they're one of the top headphones out there. The problem is that people pair them with weak battery powered amps and play artificially bass-heavy music through them. That leads to disappointment and a trashing in the threads.

Use the K-501 as it is intended, and it whoops the K-701. I think of it as the "baby" K-1000. If you're dismayed by the prices and lack of availability of K-1000s, get one of these instead. Use a current rich desktop amp, and you'll get the same sound signature and presentation. The soundstage is, of course, different, but the K-501 is hugely enjoyable at a bargain price.

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 38
Very nicely spelled out post "uncle", excellent understanding and the ability to transpose your experience for the readers understanding!!!
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Use the K-501 as it is intended, and it whoops the K-701. I think of it as the "baby" K-1000.

you, sir, have made my day

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 38
threads like these make me feel really good that my only pair of cans are the k501s, which i bought new at $99 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back