AKG K501 instead of HD600
Oct 12, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 40
I haven't touched my HD600's since the day the K501's came in from the UPS guy. I used the HD600's for classical music but they were replaced by the 501's. The 501's haven't really convinced me with rock, electronica and the like, so I rather use my grado's instead.

My vote would go for the HD600's if it's going to used as an all purpose headphone. If sometime in the future you intend to buy another set of headphones, as most posters do in this forum, go for the 501's for their absolutely sweet mids and incredible soundstage for its relatively cheap price.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 40
The 501's do sound pretty good, have nice mids and highs, but their lows just don't go that low. They have somewhat of a raw sound to them, which is nice. However, I think the 701's are more refined, have body, and can go very low. I really haven't used my 501's much since I got the 701's, but might try them again with some jazz music that I've been getting into recently. The 701's just sound so much more....matured.

Still to try the 600's, but I read so many good things about them and followed by many bad things. I might just end up skipping them and going with their bigger brother.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #19 of 40
Well pretty much when compared to the 650's I read that they are not as rich, not as organic, a bit on the dry side. Essentially that they are the 650's but toned down in most every aspect. But then I hear that the 650's are a bit too much in some aspects anyway. At which point I end up thinking if I wouldn't like the sennheisers at all :S. But I've also read comparisons with Denon's which both had their strengths but in general they were regarded as headphones of the same caliber, and if that's the case then the 701's I have would make short work of the 600's as they did the Denons!!

...sigh.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #20 of 40
hehehe don't you just love the confusion this place gives you.
The best way to know is to buy them all
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

No, not really
confused.gif

hehe, but I will probably end up trying the sennheisers sometime, when my wallet permits it. Did go a bit crazy buying headphones
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Which I've done. Almost.
wink_face.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 40
Both are wonderful phones with quite different sound signatures. I like my K501 (and tube amp) very much with electronical music, as much as with acoustic music. For orchestral classical the HD600 rules (at least in my house
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #26 of 40
I ran across the following review:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/thr...s-k701-213146/

Apparantly the reviewer found K501 to have recessed mid-range and lacking in bass. The review was done back in 2006, and the reviewer made this statement:

"the K501 model that I have is apparently the bass-light variation, one of two variations currently out in circulation."

So, the difference in impression is because we are talking about different versions of K501 ? How do one distinguish between the respective version anyway ?

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparantly the reviewer found K501 to have recessed mid-range and lacking in bass.

FWIT, I find the K501 to have excellent mids (I think that goes for all versions), but it does lack in bass. Solution: K601 or K701 pads or an amp that helps with the bass (the Little Dot I+ does a wonderful job in this respect).

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you take a look here? This thread explains the different versions: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...-count-227052/

Thanks. Great information on the construction of different versions. There is little discussion soundwise between the versions.... Is it reasonable to assume, if I buy new, it will be the latest version having excellent mid ?

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Great information on the construction of different versions. There is little discussion soundwise between the versions.... Is it reasonable to assume, if I buy new, it will be the latest version having excellent mid ?

Chances are you would, but it depends where you'd buy it. You might be buying a NOS pair that's been living on a shelf for some years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back