AKG K501 instead of HD600
Oct 11, 2008 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I also got to try K501 recently... not for long time but i noticed some interesting things in them.

K501 are recommended for what kind of music and how much do they benefit with an Amp?

i am asking because i couldnt run them off a proper amp and source.

..since they are cheaper than HD600 ... maybe i could get them and save money for a better amp.

but lot of people at the shop (mostly IEM owners) said AKG's are not really for enjoying music and more for analytical stuff.

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 40
also in this thread many said K501 are better than HD580/600/650 as they reveal more in the high range than Senns.

i ve started listening to Def leppard, iron maiden etc... so will i benefit with them?

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 40
well i mentioned i just heard them for namesake...

i did noticed instantly that there was something in the upper mids...it wasnt brightness but details.

could be inaccurate observation

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 40
Come on, get your HD600 and be done with it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 40
Depend on what kind of music you like.

i own a K501 and use it for a kind of music like slow, smooth jazz and classic.

K501 is shine for the smooth n natural character, detail n wide soundstage.

but for a music with speed, electronica, rock, it's just not for her.

note: if you like rock n metal, i think you can go for grado or beyerdynamic.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, get your HD600 and be done with it.
biggrin.gif

i missed the offer... now will have to get them at full price....better to wait for some offer.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K501 are recommended for what kind of music and how much do they benefit with an Amp?

i am asking because i couldnt run them off a proper amp and source.

..since they are cheaper than HD600 ... maybe i could get them and save money for a better amp.

but lot of people at the shop (mostly IEM owners) said AKG's are not really for enjoying music and more for analytical stuff.

The K-501 is terrific for all acoustic material and vocals. If you're listening to amplified music (guitar amps, etc.) or electronic instruments, you won't like it so much. But if you like chamber music or jazz trios, the K-501 is about the best there is.

You absolutely need an amp for the K-501. It sounds flat and lifeless without a lot of power, much like the K-1000. Tubes help, too. The K-501 has magical mids and some nice triodes will bring that right out.

AKGs are not just analytical. Give them a try, they're wonderful for music.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 40
I will disagree somewhat with others on the 501 and say it is just fine for all types of music that have dynamic range. Yes, they are great with Jazz, classical and many types of acoustic music. But I have found them not only acceptable, but wonderful as well with "folk" rock, blues (beyond acoustic) and "classic rock" that still was made (and engineered) with dynamic range. Its bass is accurate, IMO, but is not pronounced.

They do, however, require a goodly amount of amplification to shine.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

K501's aren't as analytical as, say, K240DF. K501 are however more detailed and have better headstage, but their smooth highs make them less analytical. In fact, I prefer K501 for any music I listen to - classic rock, modern rock, jazz, fusion and classical. Don't listen electronic music much, though.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

i missed the offer... now will have to get them at full price....better to wait for some offer.

As far as I know, their price aren't too different. How much are you offered?

Quote:

Hi,

I might slightly agree if they are referring to K701. K501 are not too analytical IMO, and as mentioned they excel at acoustic instruments and voices due to it's accurate but not cold/lifeless midrange.

Seems that you are an electronic and trance guy. AKG's large sound stage might work or you, but if you are looking for boom boom looks elsewhere.

If you can't stand Grado, have you tried Alessandro? Those might be what you are looking for.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, their price aren't too different. How much are you offered?

I might slightly agree if they are referring to K701. K501 are not too analytical IMO, and as mentioned they excel at acoustic instruments and voices due to it's accurate but not cold/lifeless midrange.

Seems that you are an electronic and trance guy. AKG's large sound stage might work or you, but if you are looking for boom boom looks elsewhere.

If you can't stand Grado, have you tried Alessandro? Those might be what you are looking for.

I agree the k501 are musical enough, not as analytical as the k701.

Everyone says the k501 requires a lot of power, of course so does the hd600. I think versatility wise the hd600 definitey wins, it can handle any genre, whereas something upbeat/electronic the k501 is still decent but that's not its forte. The k501 has the killer mids and sounds more delicate and has less body than the hd600. So as usual you have to decide for yourself, hopefully u can get another listen. Both require good amps, if I had to guess the hd600 would probably cope better with a cheap amp but of course its definitely ymmv on the synergy.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the k501 are musical enough, not as analytical as the k701.

Everyone says the k501 requires a lot of power, of course so does the hd600. I think versatility wise the hd600 definitey wins, it can handle any genre, whereas something upbeat/electronic the k501 is still decent but that's not its forte. The k501 has the killer mids and sounds more delicate and has less body than the hd600. So as usual you have to decide for yourself, hopefully u can get another listen. Both require good amps, if I had to guess the hd600 would probably cope better with a cheap amp but of course its definitely ymmv on the synergy.

What he said.
smily_headphones1.gif

For upbeat music, it is your call if you want to get the maximum excitement with an aggressive sounding phone, or a relaxed sounding ones like Sennheiser or AKG to reduce fatigue.

HD650/600 will sound closer to the HD205, whereas K501 will sounder closer to, but not similar to HD555

Users who are viewing this thread

Back