AKG K430 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #31 of 70
Not for me. I'm in NY and they made it as far as NJ. Mine also said the 30th also.

Hopefully these are better than the PX200-II. For their original price they should be. The PX200-II outside a needing a bit more bass is a really solid can though.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #33 of 70
Same here.  They sound definitely more towards the neutral side of things (not bass-heavy like all my other things have been).  They are definitely not bass-light to my ears, after having things like the metro-fi220, klipsch custom 3, and denon ahd1001 (CAL!).

Only burned in for about 3 hours but i'll be burning these in all day & night for a week or so.

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #34 of 70

Quote:
Not for me. I'm in NY and they made it as far as NJ. Mine also said the 30th also.

Hopefully these are better than the PX200-II. For their original price they should be. The PX200-II outside a needing a bit more bass is a really solid can though.

the px200's are pretty bassy to start with...

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #35 of 70
Got my K430 today and am burning them in now. Very happy for my $30. Right away made me think of the PX200-II. Same size and similar looks. Sounds like the K430 have a little more bass amount as well as a little more high extension. These also have a good soundstage but not the separation the Sennheisers at this point. They have to burn in yet so the bass is not as detailed or tight. Not that far off so I'll wait and see. They are one of the better sounding ultra-portables. 

Cans like this and the PX200-II are great for under $60. Just don't expect a lot of bass or isolation. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #36 of 70

Quote:
Got my K430 today and am burning them in now. Very happy for my $30. Right away made me think of the PX200-II. Same size and similar looks. Sounds like the K430 have a little more bass amount as well as a little more high extension. These also have a good soundstage but not the separation the Sennheisers at this point. They have to burn in yet so the bass is not as detailed or tight. Not that far off so I'll wait and see. They are one of the better sounding ultra-portables. 

Cans like this and the PX200-II are great for under $60. Just don't expect a lot of bass or isolation. 

yup, for $30, these are a steal

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #37 of 70
I also received mine today.  I spent about 30 minutes listening to them straight out of the box.  I plugged them into my Onkyo 805 receiver and Toshiba HD-DVD player listening to two recordings, one of which is a reference recording that I am quite familiar with.  I compared them against my Koss KSC75 headphones.  I also can compare them later against my Wife's PX100s (not certain where they are).  In any event, I am honestly not that impressed.  I think they have a somewhat "accurate" sound.  Usually with that comes a great deal of detail and a comparative lack of warmth.  However, I am not convinced that these cans offer more detail than my Koss headphones.  In fact, I think they have less detail by a smidge.  This was obvious listening to the Jazz reference recording where I can typically hear keys tapping on the saxophone, the musician adjusting his embouchure on the reed, and lots of ambient noise from the nightclub where the recording was done.  On top of that, I feel that I am losing soundstage with the AKGs - they lack presence.  They are also slightly less mid-forward than the Koss, which makes vocals less enjoyable in rock recordings.  I am not trying to give the impression that the Koss are the best thing since sliced bread but they were a great deal for the money when I got them a few years ago at $10.  To me, the value is still there for the Koss.  I will listen to the AKGs a bit more but at the moment, I am not particularly impressed, even for $30. 

By the way, I do like the build quality and comfort for this price.  I also much prefer the single wire setup on the AKG vs the Koss which have a wire going to each can.  Isolation is not particularly impressive, which is to be expected for small over the ear headphones, I would imagine.

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #38 of 70

Quote:
I also received mine today.  I spent about 30 minutes listening to them straight out of the box.  I plugged them into my Onkyo 805 receiver and Toshiba HD-DVD player listening to two recordings, one of which is a reference recording that I am quite familiar with.  I compared them against my Koss KSC75 headphones.  I also can compare them later against my Wife's PX100s (not certain where they are).  In any event, I am honestly not that impressed.  I think they have a somewhat "accurate" sound.  Usually with that comes a great deal of detail and a comparative lack of warmth.  However, I am not convinced that these cans offer more detail than my Koss headphones.  In fact, I think they have less detail by a smidge.  This was obvious listening to the Jazz reference recording where I can typically hear keys tapping on the saxophone, the musician adjusting his embouchure on the reed, and lots of ambient noise from the nightclub where the recording was done.  On top of that, I feel that I am losing soundstage with the AKGs - they lack presence.  They are also slightly less mid-forward than the Koss, which makes vocals less enjoyable in rock recordings.  I am not trying to give the impression that the Koss are the best thing since sliced bread but they were a great deal for the money when I got them a few years ago at $10.  To me, the value is still there for the Koss.  I will listen to the AKGs a bit more but at the moment, I am not particularly impressed, even for $30. 

By the way, I do like the build quality and comfort for this price.  I also much prefer the single wire setup on the AKG vs the Koss which have a wire going to each can.  Isolation is not particularly impressive, which is to be expected for small over the ear headphones, I would imagine.

the build quality on mine are horrendous...see the clear plastic covering the AKG logo on the sides of the ear cups? one of mine has lots of cracks on the inside edges of the plastic piece, and the silver finish is noticeably darker in some spots than others, for $30, ehhh...they're all right

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #39 of 70
Got mine today too. They were trying to delivery on Wednesday, but I wasn't home and they set the return delivery to today.
I'm hoping that they're at least better then the k420 I bought a week ago. Those are only OK if you enable "Bass Reducer". I can't listen to them without doing that.
Hopefully I can try them tonight. Just my luck they'll probably have the same drivers and sound signature as the k420. Hope not.

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #40 of 70

Quote:
Got mine today too. They were trying to delivery on Wednesday, but I wasn't home and they set the return delivery to today.
I'm hoping that they're at least better then the k420 I bought a week ago. Those are only OK if you enable "Bass Reducer". I can't listen to them without doing that.
Hopefully I can try them tonight. Just my luck they'll probably have the same drivers and sound signature as the k420. Hope not.

they don't have the same drivers as the K420, the K420,430 and 450 use three different drivers from headphones of the past

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #41 of 70
Wow, I hate mine. You should have seen my expression when I was listening to them! They make the k420 look like bass monsters, seriously. Not that that is a good thing.

I'll burn them in some, but I don't think they're worth $30 and I'll probably return them or sell them. The difference between the sound of the k420 and k430 is like night and day.

Darn, I wanted to like them. I haven't disliked a headphone so much since I bought some JVC Flats.

BTW they sound kind of tinny and un-natural sounding. Nothing sounds right on them
confused_face_2.gif

It also now feels like I have two corks strapped to my head.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #43 of 70

Quote:
Wow, I hate mine. You should have seen my expression when I was listening to them! They make the k420 look like bass monsters, seriously. Not that that is a good thing.

I'll burn them in some, but I don't think they're worth $30 and I'll probably return them or sell them. The difference between the sound of the k420 and k430 is like night and day.

Darn, I wanted to like them. I haven't disliked a headphone so much since I bought some JVC Flats.

BTW they sound kind of tinny and un-natural sounding. Nothing sounds right on them
confused_face_2.gif

It also now feels like I have two corks strapped to my head.

they don't sound that bad to me...but the build quality is a major let down

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #45 of 70
I've had mine for about an hour. Initial impressions are mostly positive. I'm liking pretty much everything about them so far. Only thing is that they are a little dry sounding. Comfort is about what I expected. Build quality is slightly better than I expected. Right now, I'd say they're not bad at all for $30. I'm using these directly out of my ipod 4g.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back