AKG k401 at TTVJ
Jan 19, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 29
i saw that too, but i chose not to post it cuz i know someone else would post its findings.

good thing for my K501s, though i'd like to try em for $60

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a hasty search, it doesn't look like this has been mentioned. TTVJ has a brand new AKG k401 B-stock for sale on his website:

http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...b9b63b01b6b9a1

I'd jump on it, but I have a k501 on the way.

I like it over the K501 look-wise! Any threads/links on how it differs from the K501?

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 29
There's an old post by Lini where he mentions that he found the K401 inferior to the K501, which was a surprise when they were released because previously audiophiles and even the press preferred the K400 to the K500. I have a K400, the predecessor model to the K401, and find them quite good, suffering from none of the K501 bass deficiency. Still, they were a clear notch below something like an old-series DT990. Anyway, this is at least evidence to support that a 401 is more in the 501 league than it is in that of the 301.

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 29
I placed an order for a pair today. I will try to remember to let y'all know how they compare to the 501s.

Thanks for the info op. I actually wanted to buy the 401s but because they had been discontinued I went with the 501s while they were still avaliable.

in the meantime, here was why I was initially looking to start my akg experience with the 401s:
http://headphonereviews.org/headphon...headphoneId=14

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 29
Just ordered a pair too, for sheer curiosity. I usually get really good results when I buy on gut feeling rather than extensive research, somehow.
tongue.gif

A while ago I bought the K501 on impulse and really enjoyed it while I had it, even though I didn't really like any other AKGs (K701, K340, K270, K1000). So if this is anything at all like the K501, then it'll make a nice addition to my secondary rig.

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 29
Do you think he has more than one pair, or just hasn't updated the site?

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think he has more than one pair, or just hasn't updated the site?

Good question. I assumed the items on the B-Stock page were in single quantities, although I could be wrong.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. I assumed the items on the B-Stock page were in single quantities, although I could be wrong.

I assumed the same, but two people in this thread purchased them, and it still 'lets you' on his site. I wonder if the original order will get them, and the second order will get an appology/'sold out' email.

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 29
Well they aren't showing up on the site anymore, and my order so far still stands. They were listed as NOS so he or AKG probably just found a few that somehow missed getting sold when they were discontinued.

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 29
Someone please post pics and some type of review after you get them. I am really curious if these really are bassier than the 'normal' K501. I have said before that the pair of K501's I have seem to be much bassier than everyone elses (more bass punch than the K601), or so it seems. Their blue color is definitely interesting.

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 29
I never had any problems with getting ample bass out of my first pair of K501s. I'll compare the K401 with the pair of K501s I'm rebuying. Hopefully this new pair of K501s will sound the same as my old pair.

Jan 21, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well they aren't showing up on the site anymore, and my order so far still stands. They were listed as NOS so he or AKG probably just found a few that somehow missed getting sold when they were discontinued.

The main reason I pulled the trigger because it was advertised as NOS vs. what the OP posted as B-stock.

I checked back after I placed my order and still saw it listed. Then the next day after I saw you placed your order Fitz...I went to the site to check and saw that it had been taken down. I guess we will find out monday from todd if he had more than one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back