AKG K4 K 4
Apr 10, 2009 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Trav

500+ Head-Fier
Looking mighty tasty can i get some feedback?

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do these look like a half-assed attempt at producing a "portable" K340?

Do you know how they sound? I think they look ok, and it's a good idea. If it works....

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 21
I've never seen them outside of those few ebay pictures, and I didn't say they were bad, just that they "look like a half-assed attempt at producing a "portable" K340"

from what I've read (which is very sparse), they're apparently hybrid electrostatic/dynamic units, like the K340, but these are smaller, on-ear models, with somewhat lower impedance (if you consider 400 ohms "low"
wink.gif
), but roughly the same age

so I wouldn't be surprised if my assesment was at least half-true

again, I'm not saying they're "bad"

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 21
They are very old portable headphones made by AKG back to 1980s, so that mostly they can't compete with the other series headphones. Don't be fooled by the word 'Electrostatic' in the name.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viktor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are very old portable headphones made by AKG back to 1980s, so that mostly they can't compete with the other series headphones. Don't be fooled by the word 'Electrostatic' in the name.

The wikiphonia says they are electret-dynamic hybrids, like the 340, but a simplier design than the 340.

That they are old doesn't mean that they are bad. There are good old cans out there (I have some of them myself). But then there are also bad old cans. So the question is, are these good old, or bad old? Only someone who actually heard them would know for sure. Alhtough, simpler design suggests that they might be worse, it doesn't have to be so.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alhtough, simpler design suggests that they might be worse, it doesn't have to be so.

Believe me. Most portable design is not for the purpose to achieve the best effect.

BTW, K4s are not stand alone. They have three brothers, K1 K2 K3.
smily_headphones1.gif

They are worth no more than collection nowadays if you do like old stuff, or so-called vintage headphones.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Believe me. Most portable design is not for the purpose to achieve the best effect.

BTW, K4s are not stand alone. They have three brothers, K1 K2 K3.
smily_headphones1.gif

They are worth no more than collection nowadays if you do like old stuff, or so-called vintage headphones.

Have you heard them, or this just a guess?

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard them, or this just a guess?

I've heard them all. Personally I won't pay more than a few quids for them, or a few bucks if I was in the US.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

I've heard them all. Personally I won't pay more than a few quids for them, or a few bucks if I was in the US.

Well, that's a good warning then since you heard them. But just to clarify, the K1-K3 were normal dynamic cans, right? So they are completely different from the K4. What amp did you use, by the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back