AKG K361/K371
Jun 19, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #1,083 of 1,294
So I got the AirPods Max a week ago and with a bit of EQ they sound pretty close to the K371. I’ve been using my K371 for about 2 and a half years and enjoyed every minute, but they will pretty much be replaced by the AirPods Max now.

My EQ is +4 at 2k, +4 at 4k, and +2 at 8k. From my ears and crinacles measurements the two are kind of close, and would be even closer than this graph after the EQ I’m using. 75B8E52B-CC5F-4DD4-BBC2-FE2BC6EBD6AF.jpeg

Kind of crazy how close they are from 80hz up to 1.5K. Then after a +4 boost at 2k that graph would be closer. The dip at around 4k on the 371 I was using EQ to fix, so boosting that on the AirPods Max gets that close too. I was also doing a high shelf starting at 10k on the 371, so that brings that closer to what the AirPods Max are doing.

So yea, the way I have the AirPods Max EQ’ed sounds pretty much like how I’ve been listening to my K371. So with ANC, transparency mode, Bluetooth, and spatial audio when I want it my K371 has pretty much been replaced.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #1,084 of 1,294
So after a week with the Dekoni Choice Suede pads on my K371 I’d have to say that these are a solid improvement in terms of comfort and fit. The sound is at least 98% the same great sound as before. But the fabric pads feel much nicer than the fake leather and give a much more consistent seal. They still don’t like glasses, but I usually wear contacts so whatever.

With the stock pads I couldn’t really move or the pad seal against my head would be broken, with these pads I can get up and actually walk around and the seal stays intact almost 100% of the time. With the stock pads this headphone would sound it’s best and have the most sub-bass right after getting a haircut, these Dekoni choice suede pads don’t seem to care. I just got my haircut this morning and they sound the same as they did yesterday. The only real complaint is that these are still a bit of a small diameter on the inside, but that’s more of the headphones fault really.

I highly recommend these Dekoni Choice Suede pads for anyone looking for a pad change but wants to keep the stock sound.

would love to get these, as my pads are pretty haggard after around 2 years of everyday use. if only they weren't 50 freaking dollars, plus even more with int'l shipping for me. such a shame AKG don't sell replacements.

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,085 of 1,294
To those who upgraded to another closed back, what did you go to?

Airpods Max do seem a good shout.

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,086 of 1,294

Replacing mine with the APM wasn’t exactly the plan when I got mine, but with a little minor EQ they sound close enough.

One of the other deciding factors is that the APM also sound the same whether I’m wearing my glasses or not. The K371 with either the stock pads or the Dekoni choice suede sound bad if I try to wear them with glasses. I’d been wearing contacts but I’ve been preferring glasses over contacts lately for non headphone related reasons.

Jun 21, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #1,087 of 1,294
I have been using a K361 for past few days and I wonder what's going on with my unit. I mean the headphones sounds totally fine while listening to music, or watching movies, or youtube, the bass is really good, not overpowering, the way I would prefer it, but then I enter CS Go. Everything just changes. There's a constant rumble, thunderous sound in the game. Every gunshot, every foot step is so thick sounding, and the thickness (especially the post awp shot sound) extends too much as well. I don't understand what's going on. Is there anyone who plays Go here and using the same headphone can attest to what I am trying to say?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #1,088 of 1,294

Not an upgrade per se, as I have kept my K371, but I purchased an Audeze LCD-XC 2021. An upgrade in every way, except for Harman Bass, which I easily added via a Bass Shelf in EQ.

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #1,089 of 1,294
I have been using a K361 for past few days and I wonder what's going on with my unit. I mean the headphones sounds totally fine while listening to music, or watching movies, or youtube, the bass is really good, not overpowering, the way I would prefer it, but then I enter CS Go. Everything just changes. There's a constant rumble, thunderous sound in the game. Every gunshot, every foot step is so thick sounding, and the thickness (especially the post awp shot sound) extends too much as well. I don't understand what's going on. Is there anyone who plays Go here and using the same headphone can attest to what I am trying to say?
Check your game settings, or any background applications that might apply an EQ and/or DSP to that specific game. Not sure a HRTF function would do what you're describing on its own, however.

Alternatively, if you've been running surround sound mode in Windows, turn it off. 'Enhance audio' is also a feature in Windows 11, disable that too.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,090 of 1,294
Check your game settings, or any background applications that might apply an EQ and/or DSP to that specific game. Not sure a HRTF function would do what you're describing on its own, however.

Alternatively, if you've been running surround sound mode in Windows, turn it off. 'Enhance audio' is also a feature in Windows 11, disable that too.
Nah nothing was changed in regard to windows or any other settings. I never turned on any windows audio features, I simply use Realtek audio manager and enable 7.1 surround sound option while gaming as it gives that immersive sound. This headphone is simply too 2D sounding and lacking those nuanced details like footsteps and all. Really liked the tonality of it, it's sad to return it. Funny even the M20x was better in this aspect.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #1,091 of 1,294
Nah nothing was changed in regard to windows or any other settings. I never turned on any windows audio features, I simply use Realtek audio manager and enable 7.1 surround sound option while gaming as it gives that immersive sound. This headphone is simply too 2D sounding and lacking those nuanced details like footsteps and all. Really liked the tonality of it, it's sad to return it. Funny even the M20x was better in this aspect.
7.1 Surround simulation is exactly the kind of thing I was describing. Using that on-top of HRTF in CSGO would make the sound extremely v-shaped. Turn off the Realtek feature.

Use the in-game HRTF or surround features, do not turn on Windows or sound card features for gaming. Use Windows Sonic for video with 5.1/7.1/Atmos surround.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #1,092 of 1,294
7.1 Surround simulation is exactly the kind of thing I was describing. Using that on-top of HRTF in CSGO would make the sound extremely v-shaped. Turn off the Realtek feature.

Use the in-game HRTF or surround features, do not turn on Windows or sound card features for gaming. Use Windows Sonic for video with 5.1/7.1/Atmos surround.
Thanks. I turned off the Realtek surround feature and in game the difference is night and day. That rumbling is gone, with its bloody extensions. But I still don't find the positioning of sounds to be accurate or detailed, they are not presented to my ears, I have to listen for them. I guess this is what too much neutral freq. is supposed to be? Hmm. I now certainly see the advantage of V-Shaped or boosted treble in games.
I watched a movie (5.1/eac3/768 kbps, through MPC-HC) with Windows Sonic enabled (even downloaded some DTS HeadphoneX from Windows store), but I still find the Realtek surround better in regard to immsersiveness, at least I think. Windows Sonic/ DTS HeadphoneX makes the voices a bit too suppressed.
All in all I think the 770 had a rather significantly better soundstage and imaging as well. But obviously the K361's tonality is fantastic. Can't have everything now can we!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #1,093 of 1,294
Thanks. I turned off the Realtek surround feature and in game the difference is night and day. That rumbling is gone, with its bloody extensions. But I still don't find the positional sound detailed or presented to my ears. I have to find for them. I guess this is what too much neutral freq. is supposed to be? Hmm. I now certainly see the advantage of V-Shaped or boosted treble in games.
I watched a movie (5.1/eac3/768 kbps, through MPC-HC) with Windows Sonic enabled (even downloaded some DTS HeadphoneX from Windows store), but I still find the Realtek surround better in regard to immsersiveness, at least I think. Windows Sonic/ DTS HeadphoneX makes the voices a bit too suppressed.
All in all I think the 770 had a rather significant better soundstage. But obviously the K361's tonality is fantastic. Can't have everything now can we!
There are neutral headphones with good imaging, but keep in mind it's also a function of how the earcups are sitting relative to your ear. Try to adjust the angle and position of the headband, and where the centre of the driver is sitting relative to your ears (eg. more to the front/back & top/bottom.

But resolution, imaging, and separation of notes/sounds are the bigger factors, as is how the HRTF/surround function combines with the tonal and technical performance of a given headphone.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,094 of 1,294
There are neutral headphones with good imaging, but keep in mind it's also a function of how the earcups are sitting relative to your ear. Try to adjust the angle and position of the headband, and where the centre of the driver is sitting relative to your ears (eg. more to the front/back & top/bottom.

But resolution, imaging, and separation of notes/sounds are the bigger factors, as is how the HRTF/surround function combines with the tonal and technical performance of a given headphone.
Yes, position of the earcups make a rather big difference with this headphone. Positioning it forwards or backwards on the head changes the sound slightly, but biggest change comes when I press the earcups in, it brings out some of those small details which are otherwise missed. The cushions are thick enough to create a fair amount of distance between ears and the driver, love the softness of them but if they were a little less thick the driver would sit closer to ears, which would have been beneficial. But anyway, the comfort factor of this headphone is like a 8/10 for me. With the 770s it was like 1/10.

Which other closed headphone is out there keeping a neutral signature but with bigger/wider soundstage? I am eyeing the Beyer DT-150 actually, but it's difficult to find where I live.

Jun 24, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,095 of 1,294
Yes, position of the earcups make a rather big difference with this headphone. Positioning it forwards or backwards on the head changes the sound slightly, but biggest change comes when I press the earcups in, it brings out some of those small details which are otherwise missed. The cushions are thick enough to create a fair amount of distance between ears and the driver, love the softness of them but if they were a little less thick the driver would sit closer to ears, which would have been beneficial. But anyway, the comfort factor of this headphone is like a 8/10 for me. With the 770s it was like 1/10.

Which other closed headphone is out there keeping a neutral signature but with bigger/wider soundstage? I am eyeing the Beyer DT-150 actually, but it's difficult to find where I live.

I stepped up in the past from K371 to DT-250 250 Ohm version and I was very happy. I find the soundstage to be better and the tonality is really good on the 250 Ohm version of the HP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back